Forums

AutoNation CEO goes after Tesla, compares to a ‘Ponzi scheme’ - Electrek

AutoNation CEO goes after Tesla, compares to a ‘Ponzi scheme’ - Electrek

mntlvr23 | 11. April 2017

He is a very desperate man.

Tropopause | 11. April 2017

GM's bankruptcy was a scheme.

Red Sage ca us | 11. April 2017

Very interesting comments on that article.

As a point of reference, this is what I posted there:

Today, AutoNation (AN) closed at $40.82 on the NYSE. That's less than the $43.25 amount they bottomed out at in late January 2016, and the $40.86 closing in early November 2016. Their current valuation is 4.17B Market Capitalization. Founded in 1996, AutoNation operates over 310 retail locations throughout the U.S. Tesla has only about 100, but still managed to outsell every individual passenger car offered by Cadillac's 900+ 'independent franchised dealerships' with the Model S. By the way...? TSLA closed at around $151 in mid-February 2016, but closed just over $308 today.

carlk | 11. April 2017

Anger is what the third of seven stages of grieving? He has ways to go yet.

burdogg | 12. April 2017

Can someone explain to me what a T3 is???

Frank99 | 12. April 2017

Or when E was made the forum policeman?

SamO | 12. April 2017

@burdogg,

It's best when you (flag) don't feed the trolls. :-)

They just go away.

burdogg | 12. April 2017

I know, sorry, can't help myself, already done though :)

Frank99 | 12. April 2017

>>> They just go away.
We can hope, can't we?

Red Sage ca us | 12. April 2017

Going way back in time, to a whole month or so ago, AN is down about 10.42% or so.

Over the same time period, TSLA is up something like 21.63%.

Angst goes hand-in-hand with atrophy.

Badbot | 12. April 2017

Red I always say there is nothing like a good salt rub to hit the spot.

Badbot: Sounds like a plan! But, wait... Lemme get the cheese grater first...!

jordanrichard | 12. April 2017

So, just how is Tesla a Ponzi scheme? Correct me if I am wrong here, but isn't a "Ponzi-scheme" when you take one set of investors money to pay other investors and all the related shell game movements? Tesla actually produces tangible goods. This is not a smoke and mirrors scheme like a "Ponzi scheme".

Carl Thompson | 12. April 2017

jordanrichard:
"So, just how is Tesla a Ponzi scheme? Correct me if I am wrong here, but isn't a 'Ponzi-scheme' when you take one set of investors money to pay other investors and all the related shell game movements? Tesla actually produces tangible goods. This is not a smoke and mirrors scheme like a 'Ponzi scheme'."

I think the argument is that the valuation of TSLA is far, FAR out of line with revenue / profit / risk / production / likely outcome. It's so far out of line that some feel it has more in common with a Ponzi scheme than with other companies that are valued based on their position in the market. Tesla's questionable valuation seems very similar to a lot of tech companies right before the dot com bust. It is definitely a legitimate concern but of course it's not really a Ponzi scheme and the use of that term is just to spread FUD. Nevertheless smart investors should be cautious.

Carl

SamO | 12. April 2017

Then don't use a word like Ponzi scheme.

Might as well say Tesla is a goat molesting factory. It's just as accurate.

Badbot: I have to go back! Forgot the lemon juice!

--------

Ponzi schemes sell a dream, and 'memberships', and not much else. The SEC would have been all over TSLA ages ago if it were a Ponzi scheme.

Trust that the SEC is watching at all times to see if this new American automaker slips up in the slightest manner. It is what they do. And that is why Elon Musk is so careful all the time about what he answers, when he answers, and how he answers questions from the public, or critics, or journalists, or ANALysts, or pundits, or 'industry insiders', or investors.

How someone who provides no product at all, just shovels over products that others build while taking a cut for himself, dares to deride Tesla as a 'Ponzi Scheme' is by no means fair, honest, or tactful. Once you note that he is a car dealer though...? It all falls into place. Yeah.

But yeah... Tesla actually provides products. And they are really nice products. To the point where no one wants to buy products from THAT GUY over there anymore, no matter who makes them.

Waitasec... AutoNation sells a 'dream', don't they? Here's their shtick...

"America loves the freedom of the open road. It's an incredible feeling that connects with those who not only drive for convenience but also for passion. It's a passion we share here at AutoNation - America's Largest Automobile Retailer. Enjoy your ride."

Hmmm... Freedom. Drive. Passion. Enjoy.

"As America’s Largest Automotive Retailer, AutoNation is constantly innovating and striving to change the way America buys & services their vehicles. So, it’s no wonder that we were the first retailer to sell over 10,000,000 vehicles. In fact, AutoNation proudly operates over 300 locations, representing all of the most popular manufacturer brands and employs over 26,000 Associates, coast to coast. But, our purpose extends beyond selling and servicing vehicles. Our goals are to drive-out cancer, make sure every driver is safe, and give Customers access to over 100,000 vehicles- all at low, AutoNation prices. Drive Pink. Drive Safe. Drive Now."

You know what? I hadn't thrown up, even once, since one day in Fourth Grade after lunch. I maintained that record for just over 40 years. Until a couple of months ago, when I got sick as a dog and was very happy there was a wastecan within easy arm's reach. Reading this though makes me consider throwing up again.

We are to believe they are 'innovating' and 'striving' to bring 'change' to buying and servicing vehicles. I seem to remember Tesla wants to do those very things, but AutoNation's CEO has spoken out against that notion. It sure would be nice if Tesla could have 300 locations coast-to-coast... I bet they'd give AutoNation a run for their money and beyond. And you know what? I'm pretty sure Tesla isn't all that in favor of Cancer either.

Tropopause | 12. April 2017

Autonation is passionate about cars as long as they're not Tesla's. When millions are buying Tesla's we'll see how their business model is going.

Sleepydoc1 | 12. April 2017

This article appeared on USA today. There was also a positive opinion piece for Tesla with a very pathetic op-ed piece on how dealers are great for the country. All on 2 pages.

dsvick | 13. April 2017

@Sleepdoc1 - "There was also a positive opinion piece for Tesla with a very pathetic op-ed piece on how dealers are great for the country"

I'll need to read that and see what they use as justification. The last I heard visiting a car dealership was ranked either just before or just after getting a root canal in the list of things most people enjoy doing.