Forums

HUD for the M3?

HUD for the M3?

It appears that there will be just one display screen in the M3. Any idea if there is a plan to include a HUD?

KP in NPT | 18. Mai 2017

No HUD.

carlk | 18. Mai 2017

NO!

lilbean | 18. Mai 2017

The much higher priced S and X don't have it. I wouldn't expect the lower priced 3 to have it.

Guy2095 | 18. Mai 2017

sooner or later it's going to be an option :)

M3forMe | 18. Mai 2017

may be in 2025?

dd.micsol | 19. Mai 2017

at this time there are no compatible model 3 HUDs 3rd party. I've asked all of them and they have said not compatible with model 3 for at least 1 yr.

hoffmannjames | 19. Mai 2017

@ dd.micsol Not true. There are lots of 3rd party HUDs that will work with the Model 3. Navdy is probably the most popular right now. There are even youtube videos of tesla owners using the Navdy on the Model S, so I am sure it would also work on the Model 3.

carlk | 19. Mai 2017

"sooner or later it's going to be an option :)"

Sooner or later there will not even be steering wheel and pedals.

KP in NPT | 19. Mai 2017

+1 Carlk...sooner or later.

http://paleofuture.gizmodo.com/all-work-and-no-play-makes-self-driving-c...

(scroll down to see the autonomous car and riders playing scrabble.) LOL!

markr7 | 19. Mai 2017

NO HUD! - PLEASE STOP ASKING!

Badbot | 19. Mai 2017

I wonder if he knows that he answered the question before asking it/?

nyca | 26. Mai 2017

Will come eventually, once the pre-order list is worked through, The dash in this M3 is its weakest point, and isn't going to appeal to buyers outside the early adopters who would take anything offered. No gauge cluster is fine if you include a HUD, and popular control surfaces have to be operable without taking your eyes off the road to look at a central touch screen. Watch some youtube videos of the cockpit displays and controls in the new Panamera.

eeb9 | 27. Mai 2017

Thanks for referencing the Navdy display - nice aftermarket solution.

Iwantmy3 | 27. Mai 2017

I want a car I can drive while I am still allowed the to.
https://lexusenthusiast.com/2017/01/24/visit-our-gloomy-autonomous-futur...

eeb9 | 27. Mai 2017

Amen to that! I think (and hope!) that there's room for both autonomous driving and *real* driving in our future.

Honestly, my day to day commute is a perfect candidate for AD.

BUT my weekends are mine, and I want a car that is at least as fast and nimble and capable as I am, preferably more so. I know, for instance, that I can take my MINi right to the edge of my driving ability and it still has plenty of reserve. I expect the M3 to have that same capability (EM said it himself: Tesla doesn't make slow cars").

I just hope that the engineers considered lateral acceleration in the same way that they considered off-the-line G-forces... :-)

LA-Fohlen | 27. Mai 2017

I don't know about your Mini but I will defend nicely miss my Rio's stick shift.

LA-Fohlen | 27. Mai 2017

I will definitely miss my Rio's stick shift... damn auto correction!

Mr.Tesla | 27. Mai 2017

I just posted this in another thread, but it is more appropriate here.

I have a guess about the dash. They will have a module on the ceiling that projects the info and graphics down onto the blank dash surface.

So, Elon's denial of a HUD, and comparison to a spaceship would both be true.

PhillyGal | 27. Mai 2017

@LA-Fohlen - I suspect you might not miss it. At least not as much as you think. Hubs never had anything other than stick before our Model S. He doesn't miss it for a second.

LA-Fohlen | 27. Mai 2017

I suppose so. For the regular driving I'm getting board even with stick and here in the Dallas area ther are no descent curvy mountain roads that would make drivers not fun for me again. It was more interesting yesterday on my 90D test drive to just once floor the gas pedal. So I'm looking forward for the day my Model 3 gets delivered.

For the HUD I don't think I would need it. I guess I can get used to just getting a glimpse of the speed on the big screen. Of course I would prefer a second display like in the S and I think at least for the first rollout a HUD would not be included either.

Frank99 | 27. Mai 2017

Exactly what information needs to be displayed in front of the driver?

Speed is #1 for me. I probably look at my speedo on average every mile. It mostly tells me what I already know (I'm doing 9 mph over), but it's a constant feedback mechanism keeping my speed estimation good.

Navigation isn't so important. Then again, I've never had a car that displayed Nav data on the windshield, so maybe I'd find it remarkably useful, though I doubt it. I rent a lot of cars in strange cities, so I've gotten pretty good at looking at Google Maps on my phone stuck in some cubbyhole in the console.

Range - Not so important. A smart algorithm that gets my attention on the main screen would be enough - turn RED when I'm not going to make the next SC at my current speed for example, or if I'm not headed towards home, work, or a destination charger and charge is getting low.

Climate controls? Nope. Idiot lights? Maybe one that says "Look at the display for more information, dummy".

So, speed is all I really care about - and speed on the display seems like it would only be slightly less useful than speed in front of me.

Iwantmy3 | 27. Mai 2017

My Explorer shows nav directions on a screen beside the speedometer. Particularly useful when the centre screen gets commandeered by a passenger.

I can live without these things. I would just prefer to not have to

eeb9 | 27. Mai 2017

@Frank99 - most of the time, you're correct on all points. But for recreational driving - the stuff that weekends are made for, and which I hope that Tesla hasn't forgotten about - having speed and Nav info available without needing to take one's eyes off the road is incredibly useful.

In another time, having tach and various fluid pressures available was also very handy, but with an EV those are indeed no longer relevant

Mr.Tesla | 28. Mai 2017

Sorry. I need to get better at managing my threads. I meant to post this here:

I'm all in on my projected dash guess. For the record, I will be completely fine with the single screen, if that's the case. I was just trying to logically piece together the evidence we have so far. (all quotes are composite paraphrasing of statements to my best recollection)

1) "The unveil interior is not final, but is representative of the intent."
2) "No HUD, but you won't care."
3) "It will look like a spaceship."
4) Blank spaces on the dash that could potentially be used as projection screen surfaces.

If this is true, it will add a lot of flash at a ridiculously low expense of equipment and complexity. A single projector module would be very easy to install/repair/swap/upgrade.

Even if it's not true, it should be, someday. :)

rennerfra | 28. Mai 2017

@Mr.Tesla: your idea is interesting (projections on the dashboard) + it might fit to all given official statements so far. I think, there is a chance for 'anything', if it makes the car / production easier at lower costs (this was main reason to skip standard instrument cluster).

Iwantmy3 | 28. Mai 2017

I was looking at the picture that implied a wood finish. The picture quality was terrible but it looked to me like the "wood" could easily just be a cover plate blocking any view of what is really underneath. They clearly are very protective of any interior pictures. Something will be coming.

Mr.Tesla | 28. Mai 2017

@rennerfra, @Iwantmy3

It will be great once we finally get to see the "final" car. I'm enjoying the suspense and conjecture along the way.

@Iwantmy3 That's a great point about the "wood" dash.. I also have my doubts about those pics.

Haggy | 30. Mai 2017

Aftermarket HUDs wouldn't be of much benefit compared to integrated ones. It's about more than just giving a few numbers. If you are using the navigator, you want to see an arrow overlaying a specific lane in traffic if you use an HUD. You want to see things in front of you that a third party device simply wouldn't know.

eeb9 | 30. Mai 2017

The Navdy plugs into your data port, so it will know some of the most crucial info. Of course, it remains to be seen how much they can/will customize it for the M3

accentcreate | 30. Mai 2017

@Haggy, what do you need to see other than the speedo and remaining battery charge, and perhaps any warning lights?
Those I would like to see in front of me. The rest is just frippery anyway, although climate-control would be nice to feel and adjust without trying to focus on a screen and find the correct icons.

topher | 30. Mai 2017

"The Navdy plugs into your data port, so it will know some of the most crucial info."

There is a rumor that the Tesla data port provide NO information. It would be great to get a confirmation one way or the other.

Thank you kindly.

Mr.Tesla | 30. Mai 2017

There are Youtube videos of people testing Navdy on the Model S. It seems to work well, for the most part.

Search Youtube for "Tesla Model 3's Biggest Flaw Solved by Navdy?"

socaldave | 30. Mai 2017

@topher I've often wondered if a Tesla even has an ODB2 port.

Badbot | 30. Mai 2017

by law odb2 is required

Iwantmy3 | 31. Mai 2017

That sounds like an excellent question for the "Private Tesla Model 3 Event - June 2/3, 2017" thread.

Iwantmy3 | 31. Mai 2017

Correction, the "Questions for Franz?? Forum members going to the Q&A at the VIP event June 3 at 2pm." thread.

socaldave | 31. Mai 2017

Thx, badbot

mos6507 | 31. Mai 2017

"There is a rumor that the Tesla data port provide NO information."

Um, why have a data port at all if it doesn't do anything?

Frank99 | 31. Mai 2017

Because an OBD-II port is required by law on all new cars.
I'm sure that the Tesla OBD port meets the minimum requirement of the law, but probably no more than that.

Haggy | 01. Juni 2017

With an HUD, I"d like to see an icon for the car in front of me, and cars in the lanes next to me so I know what autopilot sees. I'd like to see lane lines that the car detects overlaying the actual lane lines in my field of vision. If the car in front of me is being tracked, I'd like its icon to turn blue. I'd want to see the icons for autopilot to know what's engaged. I'd like to see any messages related to autopilot or any alerts. I'd like to see the navigation map as well as segments that point to the actual lanes I need to be in. If there are thumb wheels on the steering wheel, I'd like to see the menu choices in front of me when they are used. There should be a battery indicator.
These are all things that an aftermarket solution could never do. Seeing the speed would also be nice. An aftermarket solution could do that, but might not be able to show me the speed limit.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 01. Juni 2017

Haggy... makes reasonable requests.

mos6507 | 02. Juni 2017

"I'm sure that the Tesla OBD port meets the minimum requirement of the law, but probably no more than that."

So the minimum requirements of the ODB port is "nothing"?

I know Trump is anti-regulation, but that's going a little far.

dsvick | 02. Juni 2017

I really can't see any sort of projection onto the dash.
First it doesn't look like there are any flat vertical surfaces that could be used to project info onto.
Second, I can't see them mounting some sort of projector on the roof of the car, especially in the all glass and pano roof options. It would interfere with the view and there would be no where to run the wires.
Lastly, there are too many things that could get in the way of any sort of projected information and prevent it from being seen.

eeb9 | 02. Juni 2017

I sadly agree

rborr4 | 02. Juni 2017

I don't know if you have followed the Model 3 Owners Club videos on YouTube, but they seem to have a lot of interesting information on what will be delivered on the Model 3.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCry4jW5bcj9DIs7ZwA95Ylw

Haggy | 02. Juni 2017

The minimum requirement for the port is to conform to one of the relevant standards that use the port, which in this case is CAN. The port needs to have terminals for power and ground. It needs to have terminals for connectivity to a device so it can throw codes if needed and those terminals are specific to the protocol.

Almost all codes are ICE related. There are five related to A/C refrigerant. Tesla could throw codes for that if there was a failure, but their technicians would still use the standard Tesla diagnostic port.

I couldn't find any others that I'm sure are relevant. There are a few that might be relevant having to do with cruise control, but I think those have to do with indicators. Since there are no individual lights for those things, if the main screen fails it would be obvious without needing codes. But Tesla could start throwing every available code related to any display issue if that's even relevant. Nevertheless if you ever went to an independent shop capable of fixing the screen, it would be obvious to them that the screen was the problem and they wouldn't need a code reader. Chances are you wouldn't want it done by a third party anyway because if it's anything like the Model S, it has other modules on the same unit and they have relevant data that needs to be backed up and restored and if not done properly, your odometer reading could be screwed up. That would require Tesla's software on a computer and would need Tesla's port, not the ODB II.

There are also codes related to shifting, and I'm about 90% sure that they have no relevance since there's never any physical change of gear. Unless they are relevant to the shift lever itself, for which a fault would also be self evident because the display wouldn't show the car in the correct "gear" then they wouldn't be there at all.

That means that for practical purposes, it can be used for power, and if you ever have an A/C failure and take it to an independent shop, they might plug in a code reader. In other words, it's virtually useless.

Madatgascar | 02. Juni 2017

When is a HUD not a HUD? When it's something more. Maybe the Tesla Glass folks have come up with a way to project information that appears at the driver's long distance focal length, using micro louvers in the windshield glass and knowing the driver's eye distance from the seat setting. So Nav info can appear to be mapped right over the road in front of you, without requiring you to change focus... kind of like augmented vision. It would feel like a spaceship....

mos6507 | 03. Juni 2017

I still don't understand why Musk would choose to innovate some sort of sci-fi gadget when his priority should be cost-reduction. Occam's Razor says that Musk was blowing smoke with his tweet about Spaceship steering and what you see is all you'll get...because COST REDUCTION. There will continue to be spin, but that's all it is.

LA-Fohlen | 03. Juni 2017

So the latest video by Trevor @Model3OwnersClub mentioned as well that the Navdy would not work on M3.

eeb9 | 03. Juni 2017

Crap

I was counting on the Navdy

But we do not yet know for sure

Pages