Forums

The permited use of HOV lanes driving alone in New York City with the Tesla car.

The permited use of HOV lanes driving alone in New York City with the Tesla car.

There seems to be some confusion on using the HOV lanes in New York City while driving alone in the Tesla. The DMV website mentions the Long Island Expressway as permitted but does not mention other HOV lanes like the Hugh L Cary tunnel from Brooklyn to the City.
Any thoughts?

jordanrichard | 25. Juli 2017

I don't have an answer, but I do have a question and this applies to CA as well. What does an EV got to do with helping reduce the number of cars on the road, which was/is the point of HOV lanes. In other words, why should an EV owner get special treatment and be allowed to not actually be a HOV while using the HOV lane?

Captain_Zap | 25. Juli 2017

@jordanrichard

The origin of HOV rules goes back to the energy crisis. The original goal of HOV lanes was to conserve oil.

acct3st | 25. Juli 2017

aaaaa

Shock | 25. Juli 2017

Does owning an EV still grant a person in and around the LA area access to the HOV lanes? And, if so, what sort of drug concoction are people on there that convinces them NOT to buy a Nissan Leaf or Tesla, etc. if they can otherwise afford one? When I was there last year it seemed like a no-brainer to me to get into that HOV lane any way possible.

SUN 2 DRV | 25. Juli 2017

"The origin of HOV rules goes back to the energy crisis. The original goal of HOV lanes was to conserve oil."

And more recently it's broadened to include reducing air pollution, hence inclusion of alternative fuel vehicles. Plain hybrids (yellow CA stickers) used to qualify but that's bee phased out. Currently plugin hybrids (Green CA stickers) and alternative fuel vehicles (EV, CNG, Hydrogen) qualify for White CA stickers enabling HOV access until 2019 unless extended again.

ECKOHONDA | 10. Februar 2020

where i get sticker clean pass?

ECKOHONDA | 10. Februar 2020

where i get sticker clean pass?