Forums

Different battery for Standard M3 or software limited?

Different battery for Standard M3 or software limited?

Does anyone know for sure that the different range options (220 & 310) are definitely using two different sized batteries and not one battery with the lower range being software restricted (like Tesla did with the Model S 75/60)?

Is it also possible that a software update to the production model (310) in the future could increase acceleration (5.1 to sub 5)?

Thoughts?

RedPillSucks | 01. August 2017

Both are possible, Tesla has certainly done this before. But I wouldn't use that speculation as purchasing guidance.
If it happens, great! If not, you'll still have a good car even if you got the 220 range instead of the 310 range.

Rutrow | 01. August 2017

I saw specs for the two batteries on the M3. There was a weight difference so I don't think the cheaper battery is software limited.

El Mirio | 01. August 2017

I would be surprised if Tesla gives away 100 miles of range with a software restriction, that is quite a lot. The S60, battery restricted had 210 miles, one could unlock additional 39 miles for 8.5k, that was mid last year.

So being able to give away 100 miles on a $35k car, after only a year of battery improvements sounds very unlikely.

kenbefound | 01. August 2017

I think Rutrow is correct and has the facts to back it up. But all specs are subject to change at Tesla without a moments notice.

ddrmadness | 01. August 2017

To echo what Rutrow said, there is a significant weight difference between the two models. So while we can't say for certain that neither uses a software restricted battery, we can say with relative certainty that they are using different batteries. Also, I believe Elon said during the presentation that initial production would consist of the long range model so that production could ramp with the larger battery pack.

Tâm | 01. August 2017

The specs have 265 lbs. difference between standard VS long range:

https://electrek.co/2017/07/29/tesla-model-3-production-specs-revealed/

Curb weight:
3549 lbs. (Model 3)
3814 lbs. (Model 3 Long Range)

Rocky_H | 01. August 2017

I'm really certain that it's not a software locked battery. I don't have an authoritative source for it, but that would be incredibly stupid losing huge amounts of money at the large production volumes they will be doing.

eleestein | 01. August 2017

Thanks for the input. I saw the difference in weight but it didn't register in my brain,

I'm on the fence on whether to spend the additional $9k (planning on $5k luxury package either way) and get the car as early as November (I'm a Tesla owner that reserved on 3/31) or wait for the standard battery. I really don't need the additional range and the difference in acceleration is negligible. If a future software update could lower the 0-60 in the production model to 4.5 seconds then I would spend the money.

elephant in a bottle | 01. August 2017

I'm hoping though that the standard is software limited and can be upgradable to 265!

I'm no electrical or mechanical engineer, but I know for a fact that batteries that have 0% charge will weigh much less than a battery that is 100% full. Could the energy weight account for 300lbs difference between the 2 batteries?

Mr.Tesla | 01. August 2017

That is an interesting theory.

Even if that were true, the charge of the "hidden" batteries would still have to be maintained by the BMS, in order to prevent damage. Therefore, there would not be any dead drained "hidden" batteries riding along for a joy ride.

Mr.Tesla | 01. August 2017

Please exchange "cells" for "batteries", but you knew what I meant. :)

knightshade9 | 01. August 2017

While it is technically true a charged battery is heavier than an empty one, the difference is INCREDIBLY TINY

See here-
https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/are-batteries-heavier-when-theyre-...

elephant in a bottle | 01. August 2017

Thanks Knightshade! You just enlightened my night. No wonder nothing happens to my weight before and after a heart pounding exercise. :)

Tâm | 01. August 2017

My guess is right now it's costly to produce every single cell so they have to be very careful on how to make money especially Panasonic is complaining it's losing money for Tesla battery right now:

http://www.thedrive.com/tech/13081/tesla-model-3-battery-cells-will-lose...

Thus, what you see is what you get for now: cheaper one got less cells, more expensive one got more cells.

Once they can establish that consumers has chosen longer range while only a minority bought shorter range, it might make more sense to unified the production into one product with software limited capability.

dylan.dtl | 01. August 2017

If it was software limited only I imagine they wouldn't limit the first production run the way they have.