Forums

Buying second Tesla 3 for girl friend

Buying second Tesla 3 for girl friend

I have 2 reservations for the Tesla 3, both under my name. Does anyone know if I can register the second reservation in my girl friends name?

prsist | 18. Oktober 2017

WHY?? This idea has BAD written all over it. Wife, yes, but girlfriend....NO way! Fiance, Maybe.

andy.connor.e | 18. Oktober 2017

I wouldnt ever buy a car for someone who is not yet part of your family. But thats just me. Maybe you dont care about the money. But otherwise, you cannot switch the reservation title to another person.

KP in NPT | 18. Oktober 2017

I'm not sure Tesla has made it clear, but it seems family members/spouses are who they consider acceptable in transferring reservations. You could always register it to yourself and then transfer it to her later. Or see where they are on the issue when your second reservation comes up.

maintreqd | 18. Oktober 2017

FTFY

KP in NPT | October 18, 2017

Or see where your relationship is when your second reservation comes up.

hahaha true dat. ;)

carlk | 18. Oktober 2017

Seems like everyone just wants you to get married.

chris.pribe | 18. Oktober 2017

Unless you've got a wife currently, she just may have a different opinion... ;)

georgehawley.fl.us | 18. Oktober 2017

It sounds like you are hoping to collect two tax credits. If that is the case, I don't think the IRS limits you to one car. However, you have to owe enough taxes to cover the credits.

vp09 | 18. Oktober 2017

KP I'm giving the first of my two Model 3s to my daughter. So I can transfer it to her? I don't have to register it in my name?

vp09 | 18. Oktober 2017

George I took $15,000 in credit towards my federal income tax last year. I bought two S90Ds.

vp I don't know for sure - but that seems to be the consensus. Immediate family is fine.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 18. Oktober 2017

"Until you've seen that woman naked, there are NO gifts." -- Tom Leykis

jaffray | 19. Oktober 2017

Bill: From what I've heard, "family members" are fine, but there isn't yet a fixed policy on what that means. If you live together, I can't imagine they'd go "nope, gotta show us a marriage certificate or they don't count."

Lorem Ipsum | 19. Oktober 2017

Is ReD really Harvey Weinstein?

dave.m.mcdonough | 19. Oktober 2017

Just keep it in your own name until later.

Coastal Cruiser. | 19. Oktober 2017

"Buying second Tesla 3 for girl friend.... I have 2 reservations for the Tesla 3, both under my name"

I'll trade you problems. I have one reservation for two girlfriends... in my wife's name.

finman100 | 19. Oktober 2017

yeah, that might not end well...

Pkalhan | 19. Oktober 2017

@Coastal_Cruiser LOL

ReD eXiLe ms us | 19. Oktober 2017

Boola: There is a reason why my last girlfriend was my LAST GIRLFRIEND. I've learned the lesson of futility, despite the extent of my inherent optimism. Besides, I didn't notice where the OP mentioned his significant other was an unwilling coworker. #YouToo

Rocky_H | 19. Oktober 2017

By the way, for people not getting it, this isn't a prudish or puritanical thing about not being married. It's just a financial / legal issue. You don't buy houses or cars or any other really large purchase with people you're not married to generally because there is no legal accountability for dividing the value if the relationship separates.

rxlawdude | 19. Oktober 2017

Well, the fact that ReD's not getting any might explain his prickliness.

bodenalan | 19. Oktober 2017

I love that he thinks his relationship has such longevity as to commit for another 12 months

Garyeop | 19. Oktober 2017

@Bill
1)Find a girlfriend that earns more.
2)Have new gf buy your Model 3 for you.
3)Realize nothing is free.

If you are spending $50k on a gf, you are probably $50k less attractive and that never holds up. Countries and people can be rented, but not bought. Date someone who wants to date you, not be rented by you.

KP in NPT | 19. Oktober 2017

Harsh, rxlawdude! LMAO

mntlvr23 | 19. Oktober 2017

I wouldn't buy a second Model 3 for a girlfriend, in fact, I wouldn't even buy her the first one.
What does she need the second one for? A second boyfriend?

ReD eXiLe ms us | 19. Oktober 2017

rxlawdude: Apparently it is illegal for any female in the Great State of Mississippi who is over the age of 25 to tip the scales at less than 240 lbs. From my point of view that means there is simply none to get. In Los Angeles you can barely leave the house without tripping over a '9' or '10'. Here, there simply aren't any -- at all. Meh, they probably all moved to L.A.

dave.m.mcdonough | 20. Oktober 2017

Well, with an attitude like that I think you'll be living a lonely life. You have to be proactive, don't expect a match to just fall in your lap. Change your routine, join a sports league or something if you want someone athletic. Try online dating. Hell even move to a different area if it's really such slim pickings.

andy.connor.e | 20. Oktober 2017

@rx

Some people dont need "any" to be logical and/or nice.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 20. Oktober 2017

dave.m.mcdonough: I have proactively elected to not 'settle' for a BiGGuN in a world where hot chicks exist. I am a loner, that doesn't make me in any way 'lonely'. I did 'make a change' by moving to take care of my Parents five months ago. It just sucks that this is a place where females have not seen the inside of a gymnasium as an active participant since 9th Grade PE Class. It's like they graduate high school (or drop out) and suddenly discover matrimony, maternity, maturity, and food. That combination leads to obesity, when combined with interminable laziness, every time. Strange that chicks don't realize how if they can carry around an extra 120 lbs everywhere they go, then maybe they should be athletes instead of fat@$ses and stuff.

Rutrow | 20. Oktober 2017

Will somebody please drive ReD home.

Loc_Nguyen | 20. Oktober 2017

In this case, this reservation should replace an engagement ring. Diamond rings are big scam and waste of money.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 20. Oktober 2017

Rutrow: I remainfully committed to never becoming divorced by remaining a bachelor. Marriage is best left to married people. Single folk should stick to what they know.

lilbean | 20. Oktober 2017

Marriage is the number one cause of divorce.
I agree, @ReD, about the obesity stuff.

bobinseattle | 21. Oktober 2017

I tried the marriage thing for a decade or so. I cut my losses short, and got out while I could. Fast forward 15 years. The peace and quiet are off the chart. There's no going back. I actually have money in the bank now.

Bob in Seattle

2015P90DI | 21. Oktober 2017

The OP's real question is likely......Can I sell this person my reservation, call her my "girlfriend" and sucker Tesla into selling the car I reserved directly to her instead of me. No, OK, going to transfer it to my sister instead (immediate family, but she's married with a different name now). No, that doesn't work? OK, it's my mom who still uses her maiden name......etc, etc. etc.

This is why I said just allow people to transfer them freely. People will find a way around the restriction. Might as well just make things easy.

rxlawdude | 21. Oktober 2017

Or, since one asking to transfer is technically asking PERMISSION to vary from the "NO TRANSFER" policy, Tesla should require any documentation to prove one is transferring to an IMMEDIATE family member.

makar.silvestrov | 21. August 2019

The car has turned not just into a means of transportation, but also into a key for a great acquaintance.

jjgunn | 23. August 2019

Flagged!!

andy.connor.e | 23. August 2019

I'll be your girlfriend if you buy me a tesla

jimglas | 23. August 2019

ha!

dmastro | 23. August 2019

IMO this is setting the bar too high. If you're buying a Tesla as a gift for a girlfriend, what are you going to buy her when she's your wife? You're just setting yourself up for a letdown.

I'd start with a decent pen and pencil set or custom t-shirt - a nice base to build from.

or a nice vacuum cleaner
(just kidding! awaiting the slings and arrows)

Magic 8 Ball | 23. August 2019

Buying her a vacuum cleaner would be tacky unless you get the French maid outfit to go with it.

rxlawdude | 23. August 2019

@jim, I suppose you are waiting for a female member to tell you how much your idea sucks.

expecting it

and I agree

Magic 8 Ball | 23. August 2019

You can always wait for the Dyson BEV to come out. She can drive it and it will suck.

hokiegir1 | 23. August 2019

Whatever happened to mix-CDs? Maybe make a nice custom playlist?

CharleyBC | 23. August 2019

Wow. If a Model 3 is a romantic gift, imagine what the engagement ring will be like. I hope she has a strong left arm!

raqball | 23. August 2019

hokiegir1 | August 23, 2019
Whatever happened to mix-CDs? Maybe make a nice custom playlist?
-------------------------
8 Tracks for the win!

Pages