Forums

Battery Heat/Cool when parked

Battery Heat/Cool when parked

Living in AZ where it can reach 120 degrees in the summer, I have a question.

Assuming a Model 3 is sitting out in the sun in a parking lot (not charging) will the battery get actively cooled?

If I leave the car parked outside (not charging) in these conditions for a week or so, will I damage the battery?

Is the only time the battery gets heated or cooled when it’s charging?

DTsea | 14. Januar 2018

no. that would eat battery fast.

stevenmaifert | 14. Januar 2018

The Model 3 Owner's manual says this about the high voltage battery: "Do not expose Model 3 to ambient temperatures above 140° F (60° C) or below -22° F (-30° C) for more than 24hours at a time." You'll probably be okay. I couldn't find any technical documentation as to whether the battery thermal management system is active when the car isn't being driven and not plugged in.

jordanrichard | 14. Januar 2018

Well for starters be sure to leave your car plugged in whenever you are not driving. The BMS will take care of the battery pack, don’t worry it. If it needs to cool the pack down, it will do what it has to make that happen.

Coastal Cruiser. | 14. Januar 2018

I used to live in Fairbanks Alaska. That's where the temperatures drop to -50F and lower. And we're not talkin' wind chill factor. People have to outfit their cars with both engine heaters and battery heaters. We used to go nightclubbing a lot. The bars were open until 5AM. People would have to go out to their cars every 2-3 hours and run the motors for a few minutes if they wanted to stand a chance of being able to make it home when the bartender yelled out "You don't have to go home but you can't stay here".

rxlawdude | 14. Januar 2018

@stevenmaifert, I believe that is identical to the statements about ambient temperature ranges for the X and S.

That more than implies battery thermal management.

Frank99 | 14. Januar 2018

My understanding from talking with Model S owners here in Phoenix is that, yes, the A/C will run to cool the battery as needed. I seem to remember reading that the point that the A/C turns on is a battery temp of about 50C (122F). It's not as big a deal as running the heater to warm the battery, because the A/C is more efficient than a resistive heater and the temperature isn't going to get that far above the max temperature for the battery - Phoenix record air temperature is 50C (although asphalt temps can be 25C hotter and radiate heat up into the battery). On the other hand, it might be a good idea to NOT park the car unplugged at the airport for a month in June.

bvalocore | 19. November 2018

I am a new owner and am told that it is important to not force the door open if it is stuck due to cold. I was told by a Tesla rep to get a de icing spray to put around the windows. Winter is coming in the North East. Anyone have suggestions?

Rutrow 3 | 19. November 2018

bvalocore. I would suggest de-icing spray.