Forums

12V BATTERY FAILURE / TRUNK LID

12V BATTERY FAILURE / TRUNK LID

Hoping my Prius ('05, 210k) lasts long enough to get me to my M3 date, late '18, early '19, I've got a question:

I've dealt three times with a failed 12V battery in my Prius - the symptoms are a non-responding car, but entry is easy via the emergency key and replacement is possible with some uncomfortable time spent in the trunk. I'd expect a similar frequency on the M3, but with the added inconvenience of having to apply 12V to a wire pair I access from some port on the body.

1) Will I then be reasonably able to do the replacement myself?
2) Isn't the trunk opening only by touch screen just a little too unnecessarily cute?

More knowledgeable folks may be able to straighten me out on this.

Coastal Cruiser. | 27. Februar 2018

Welcome to the forum Wuzz (any relation to Wozz?)

Let me introduce you to this thread to answer your question:
https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/standard-9v-alkaline-battery-open-...

leo33 | 27. Februar 2018

If the 12 volt battery is dead, there's a way to pop the frunk with an external battery thereby giving you access. ( If the 12 volt battery is not dead when you attempt this, it sets off the alarm.)

Incorrect leo. Sorry. Read the threads.

leo33 | 27. Februar 2018

@CC I did read the threads. A member of this forum claims to have tested out opening of the frunk using an external battery, and commented on the alarm sounding when he did so. Coastal Cruiser, even if you were correct , your posting was unnecessarily rude and confrontational.

So sorry Leo. No confrontation intended. I was trying to keep the OP from getting confused, which so often happens when someone poses a question.

Your post gave the impression that popping the frunk open in and of itself sets off the alarm. Someone else tried the 9v trick and it did not set off the alarm. I don't the 12v battery being alive is the determinater. Based on the two reports it seems to be related to if the car was locked and alarmed.

I'll be gentler next time. Cheers!