Submitted by georgehawley.fl.us on 14. November 2014
Wait a minute.
Plan A was to cash in the stock when it's time to buy the Model X. The appreciation in value to at least cover part of the cost of the X. ( What can I say? I'm an optimist. ). Continuing Plan A: Sell wife's 2012 MB coupe and buy Model ≡ when available maybe two years from now at not so much net cost. (She is tall but likes the looks of the MB coupe, the fact that it is small and easy to maneuver and the acceleration but finds getting in and out to be increasingly difficult). I think she will be delighted with the Tesla. (She can't operate a gas pump but she manages a golf cart very well...). No more pumping gas for me.
Downside of Plan A: waiting forever for MX.
How about this for a plan B?
Lease an MS now for 3 years. Drive it until I get my MX. When MX comes in, give MS to wife. Sell her car two years early and save a few grand worth of depreciation. Time purchase of Model ≡ to coincide with end of lease.
Upside: get a Tesla 7 or 8 months sooner. Get wife a Tesla 24 months sooner. Stay long in stock that I believe has substantial upside. Flexibility to tolerate any further MX delays. Save $1-2K on gas.
Downside: lease cost is sunk $ less the depreciation benefit. Maybe $37K. Like renting a Tesla for $1+ K per month.
Have spousal support.
Update: own a Demo MS as of 2/10/15. Will trade for MX. Much more economical and flexible plan B than leasing, thanks to Forum members' advice.