Forums

Model 3 Consumption/Range at 75 mph constant speed

Model 3 Consumption/Range at 75 mph constant speed

Hi all,

is there any real-world experience re M 3 consumption going 75 for an extended period of time, say 1 hour at least? How was your Wh/mi or how much range did you get this way?

Thanks!

gmr6415 | 14. September 2018

There are a lot of variables here. I can speak for LR RWD with two people, two loaded suitcases and two loaded medium sized coolers on I-95 headed north through the southeast. We were at around 240 Wh/mile at 75 mph and above. That said, the car only had about 700 miles on it.

Later in our trip with around 2500 miles on it that dropped to 236 Wh/mile. Now at around 3500 miles on it, with just one person in the car and no luggage I'm getting 219 Wh/mile. It just seems to be getting better and better.

True range is dependent on the size of the battery, which from everything I've found no one really knows. Maybe there is some information I haven't found, but what I've seen is 75 kWh with only 70 kWh usable for range all the way up to 81 kWh with around 78 kWh usable for range.

You can run the numbers for range from there unless someone in this forum has a solid number on the actual kWh of the model 3 battery.

Lorenzryanc | 14. September 2018

No scientific measurement from me, but I agree with your numbers. 70-75 I see about 240 long term. 80-85 drops to about 260ish IIRC. Stuck in slow traffic with cool temps I got 112 today :D I think 75mph should get your 240.

hokiegir1 | 14. September 2018

We did a 200-ish mile trip at a fairly constant 80mph (slower for the first 30 miles before we got out of the city traffic, a few times we went a little faster to pass someone going the same speed, etc) and we were averaging about 240kwh. This was after having over 8000 miles on the car but I don't think we'd hit 10k yet, though.

gadget63 | 14. September 2018

I bought my M3 on July 13th. I have just under 4800 miles on it which is a combination of city and highway driving with two people. I am averaging 238 kwh so I am getting more than the rated mileage.

Bighorn | 14. September 2018

Parity seems to be about 236 Wh/rated mile, based on a 295 mile uninterrupted drive (Brewer, Maine to Aulac, New Brunswick). Identical result on the return leg. In the P3D with Aeros, I’d estimate 260 Wh/mile for 75 MPH.

To answer part 2 then: 310*260/236=281 miles. My actual efficiency for that trip was 219 Wh/m with a calculated range of about 334 miles.

Iwantmy3 | 14. September 2018

I have had multiple runs of 100 - 200 miles. Insignificant change in elevation, Insignificant wind.
60F No heat or A/C @75 mph - ~233 Wh/m
75F with A/C @75 mph - ~237 Wh/m
85 F with A/C @75 mph - ~239 Wh/m
Colder weather values may be available in a couple months

These are typical values I have seen over my first 9000 miles. I have had 3 unexplained occasions when the values were 20% higher but returned to normal after a supercharge.

LR RWD with aeros. Caps on.

stockbandit91 | 14. September 2018

I pulled 193w/mi for 40 miles this morning, mostly at 65-80mph, with the A/C off seems to boost range 10%. Only 2nd day of no A/C now that it's 65 in the morning, but I've gotten 199w/mi and 193 w/mi vs. 215-225. My lifetime is about 232 at nearly 10k miles. I do drive pretty aggressively, I mean how can you resist that acceleration when you have the chance?

M3BlueGeorgia | 14. September 2018

@mklemm

It is going to vary with the car's configuration. What is yours?

Best is going to be RWD, 18" rims with aero.
Worst is going to be AWD, performance, with 20" rims

My lifetime average over 14k miles is around 266, but my around town numbers yesterday were 197 between 30-55 MPH. P3D/18s. Much to do with the driver.

fritter63 | 14. September 2018

We burned an average of 300 wh/mile on our trip to LA at 75 MPH average.

Caveat: That may have included a couple of hard to resist acceleration demos. ;)

Steven.haver | 14. September 2018

Yesterday we averaged 300 wh/m. That was a fully loaded Model 3 AWD (non-performance) with 3 passengers and lots of camping equipment. One driver went 80 consistently. The other went 78. AC on auto at 68°. We went ~540 miles and made three supercharger stops.

It was my mom’s first supercharging experience, she said she was blown away with how fast it was. The first stop all three passengers had barely made it to the restroom when I said we were charged enough to make it to our next SC.

The next stop was a lunch stop and the car was already 90% before the food was served.

All in all it was about 80 minutes of total charging time, but only 20 minutes more than we would have spent in an ICE. I’ll try to post our efficiency on our return trip on Monday if I remember. There is a slight elevation change so we’ll see how that goes.

The.elders | 14. September 2018

I just took a road trip from St. Louis to Kansas City and back in the same day. Drove 78 mph the entire 500 mile round trip. I averaged around 275 Wh/m each way. This was a higher than I was expecting because in my daily 41-mile round trip work commute, I average around 220 Wh/m, with 3/4 of my commute driving 75 mph and 1/4 driving 40 mph on average. I know the 1/4 at 40 mph partially contributes to the more efficient Wh/m, but wouldn't expect it to be that much lower. Of course there are other considerations at play due to the different route.

teslu3 | 14. September 2018

My commute is 50 miles each way over a mountain. Recent round trips: no AC (fan on), aero 18", average 190 wh/mile (30% of range) - and not hypermiling, enjoying a few passing zones and Ortega Hwy curves. From work to home is about 220 - 230 wh/mile. From home to work is ~160wh/mile (more downhill). About a dozen freeway miles at ~70-75mph. Rest of trip varies 45-60mph with a couple passing zones. Took the alternate 62 mile commute of mainly freeways at 75-80mph a few times (due to Holy File closures) and averaged about 230wh/mile.

WantMY | 14. September 2018

Any car efficiency depends on may factors, but drag is the most important, ergo relative speed. If you like to be a leader (trying to pass everyone) you will pay with more energy wasted than folks right behind you up to 20%, if you following other cars -you will gain efficiency from leading car ahead of you braking the air for you. Get behind huge freight truck you will save even more. tail/side/head wind matters ~ +- 5-15 mph. I could drive my Leaf with 250wh/m or <200 wh/m, just depend on the mood, weather and traffic at any given moment. Same as bike racing, folks hang behind to conserve energy. Most EV cars usually have better instrumentation to realize the difference in real-time.

Robocheme | 14. September 2018

Back in January, I did an efficiency test in a different way. I set the cruise control at three different speeds (65, 70 and 75 mph) and, at each speed, I reset the odometer and took a reading after it stopped changing.

Flat interstate in Oregon, LR, with aeros, no wind, 45F

65 mph - 232 w/mi
70 mph - 262 w/mi
75 mph - 302 w/mi

I've since taken off the aeros so I'll do the test again on the same road.

jjgunn | 14. September 2018

Buncha rookies in here.....

Get in a MX 100D & go uphill (100 ft to 5,000 elevation) for an hour at 70 MPH

Starting pulling in 657 Wh/mi <<----- That's a man's efficiency right thar.

Steven.haver | 18. September 2018

I said I would update with our return stats:
Fully loaded + 3 adults in an AWD (non-performance) Model 3 (Blue, aero wheels, EAP). 80mph for 95% of the trip.

575.2 miles on 167 kWh for an average of 290 Wh/mi. It was higher than that in the middle section but that’s because there’s thick humid air and a roughly 4,000 ft elevation gain between Salina, KS and Limon, CO. Once we were back in rarefied air, consumption (and bugs!) dropped significantly.

$20.80 of supercharging (KS is per minute). The gas cars making the same trip paid at least double that and only arrived an hour before us. Wonderful experience all around.

tinmang.la | 18. September 2018

Thanks all. Nice operational notes as I wait for delivery next week in Denver.

Regmail | 30. Oktober 2018

My experience so far is way worse. Long range AWD (non-performance) These numbers use the energy screen with are at least 15 miles at each speed:
83 mph 355 Wh/mi
80 mpg 320 Wh/mi
75 mph 305 Wh/mi
70 mpg 280 Wh/mi

I'm beginning to wonder if I got a lemon as far as range goes. Not super accurate but not off by more than +-10. Average for 120 miles with average speed of about 75: 310 Wh/mi (calculated using total mileage and total Wh used).

billtphotoman | 30. Oktober 2018

@Regmail:
1) Which wheels do you have?
2) If you have the 18 inch wheels, is this with or without covers
3) What was the air temperature?
Cooler air makes a *really* big difference. For example, Robocheme got 302 wH/m at 75MPH and 45 degrees F. When Car and Driver tested this same configuration at the same speed and 28 degrees F they rated it at 200 miles of range. If my math is correct 200 miles / 73.1 kWh usable in the battery = 365 wH/m

Cold weather really impacts energy usage which is why I want all the battery capacity I can get even here in Austin TX where we don't get real winter.

Thanks for the response Bill.
Standard 18" wheels with Aero covers at 40-45 F. I have a 310 mile round trip commute 2-3 times/week. I am trying to trade off speed, charge time and range but the range part isn't what I expect after reading this thread.

Also, tires inflated to 45 psi at the start, warmed to 48 psi by the end.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 30. Oktober 2018

Bighorn is always right.

Your mileage may vary.

Tires, cargo, wind resistance, rain, snow, etc all matter no matter the vehicle.

nvjx | 30. Oktober 2018

RWD LR 3 18" wheels without aero caps. Lifetime about 7800 miles at 211 wh/mile with mixed driving.

jkercheval466 | 30. Oktober 2018

My wife drives about 115 miles each way from Marana, AZ to Scottsdale, AZ once per week. We have the AWD with 18' wheels and the covers on. She drives on EAP at 80mph. Last week : On the way to Scottsdale she got 213wh/mi at 65f w/ elevation loss of about 1K. On the way back home she got 254wh/mi at 80f w/ elevation gain of about 1K.

Wow, I'm jealous. My car is only 8 days old with over 800 miles. At 80 mph there is no way I'm dropping below 320 wh/mi no matter how I measure it. Maybe the brakes are rubbing until they break in? The average it displays on the mileage screens is around 320, When I divide power used by distance traveled it's always over 300, when I watch the energy screen it is always averaging over 300 on the 15 mile display. My route is in on the NJ Turnpike and 95 from New Jersey to Maryland, moderate temperatures, gentle hills with almost no accumulated elevation change.

spuzzz123 | 30. Oktober 2018

Yeah I’m not getting that 240 going 75 mph. I can get that when going 65 mph which is what I expected — the 310 mile epa rating I’m sure is a blend of highway and city driving when driving the speed limit. I don’t know how it could possibly get 310 miles going all freeway at 75 mph but maybe you clowns just have exceptional model 3s! My lifetime is 244 but that is heavily influenced by city driving

HairyPiano | 30. Oktober 2018

My recent trip to Wichita came in around 290 wh/m. LR AWD 1 passenger no Aeros, averaged 78 mph. Not much elevation change anywhere in Kansas. It was my first road trip so I roughly calculate if my Nav tell me I have 200 miles to go, I’ll use up 240 battery miles. Next time will try with aero covers on and see if I can grab tha extra 10%.

Model3Matt | 30. Oktober 2018

I'm in the Phoenix area and have about a 13 mile commute with an AWD (non-P) with 18'' aero wheels with 1,400 miles. At 75 mph EAP for most of the commute, there is no shot that I can get below 255 wh/mi. At 80 mph EAP for most of the commute, I cannot get it below 260. I've seen some really magical numbers posted at these high speeds for the AWD and would love to one day come even close to what some have said they've achieved at a high rate of speed.

Garyeop | 30. Oktober 2018

This really is a question. What would make the car more aerodynamic? Rain X on the top glass? A fresh wax? A ceramic coat? Would leaving bugs on the bumper make it slide through air better like the rough edge of an airplane wing? Most if not all the extra energy is fighting greater wind resistance. Is tailgating that 18 wheeler worth the chip marks from thrown rocks?

Also, above you may consider wind speed and direction.

Magic 8 Ball | 30. Oktober 2018

Use a ball peen hammer and make uniform dimples all over your car:

https://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/22/mythbusters-golf-ball-like-dimpling-...

jkercheval466 | 30. Oktober 2018

@model3matt & @regmail - We do drive the car on "chill" model predominantly and on EAP 99% on the freeway. I'm not sure what type of difference that makes. We also haven't used the AC/Heat much since owning. Those numbers I shared don't include tailgating a semi either. It didn't make financial sense to us to get the car wrapped with protection and to prolong the paint life tail gating is a no no. I would also think that the longer stretch of sustained speed probably helps with the efficiency numbers we have seen - along with being relatively flat. Whatever it is I have been pleasantly surprised with the figures we have seen. We have 1.8K miles on the car and the average is 255wh/mi.

gballant4570 | 30. Oktober 2018

My average after ~1.6k miles is still 234 wh/m. That represents quite a mixture of driving conditions, with perhaps lower highway mile percentage than many might have. Extrapolating, I am expecting around 290 wh/m for a mainly 75+ mph trip. But I haven't tested that yet - will in the coming months.

At 234 wh/m I gain on the estimated range displayed with the battery charge level. For example, today I left with 300 estimated range. When I returned home, my remaining estimated range plus the actual miles traveled added up to 312. Car is AWD, 18" Aero wheels without the hubcaps.

georgehawley.fl.us | 30. Oktober 2018

LR RWD, 19" wheels, two people in the car, 74 mph avg.---256 watt hours per mile consistently over flat terrain, warm summer days. (1500 miles)

Locally 190-200

georgehawley.fl.us | 30. Oktober 2018

A mathematical model that I developed relative to Model S RWD parameters yielded 272 watt hours per mile at 74 mph.
This compares well to @Robocheme's experience.

Regmail | 02. November 2018

Update. My mileage seems to have magically improved significantly somewhere between 800 and 1000 miles into ownership. The highway mileage seems to be around 290 wh/mi, compared to 330 before. Also mixed driving comes in at around the rated 240 wh/mi. I can't ask for more since it meets the advertised range numbers! I am still envious of you guys that are getting better than the rated numbers. Maybe there is more improvement to come as the car breaks in. My overall average with 1100 miles on the car is 307 wh/mi with lots of 70-80 mph driving.
Also, as an FYI:
I LOVE THIS CAR! I had tempered my expectations and it has far exceeded them.

gballant4570 | 02. November 2018

Regmail, I'm not sure what could be at work in your evolving wh/m, but it sounds like it's moving in the direction toward where you might expect it to be. If you're heavy on the percentage of 70-80 mph driving I doubt you get into the low 230's territory that I am averaging. But you could come to rest perhaps in the 240-260 range as your lower watt hour miles add up.

In any case it's good to head back toward expectation.

My Model 3 has also exceeded my expectations. The grin ain't coming off any time soon....

gcshaw | 21. November 2018

My experience is much like Regmail. My car's energy consumption seems to be exceedingly high. The rated distance is tragicomic. Driving just 70 mph my energy consumption is 340-350 Wh/mi (1 driver, 0 passengers, otherwise empty car, 70 mph on flat highway, heat at 67 F, 18 inch aero wheels with and without covers). It's a fun car, but even with careful, chill mode acceleration and tepid driving, to be safe I have to assume that my range is half of what the car tells me. It's a Performance Model 3 with approximately 3,000 miles on it, and the above has been true in Summer, Fall and Winter temperatures. I wish there was a better way to understand what if anything is wrong, because otherwise it's a nice car, but it causes me a lot of range anxiety.

dwakelee | 21. November 2018

@gcshaw You mentioned heat at 67F, but you also need to consider outside temp to know how hard the car has to work to maintain that 67F. Cold temp also hurts mileage due to air resistance. Tire pressure another big factor. Also need a good stretch of time and road to get good data, as heater will run full for just a short drive - killing short term efficiency.

I see similar numbers as you when cold, though I do have 19" wheels and RWD (resultant efficiency roughly equivalent to 18" AWD Perf). Your numbers do seem a tad bit high, but temperature and tire pressure will contribute greatly. Half range at 75+MPH and cold temps is actually pretty realistic (and to have a little buffer). Need to slow down to minimize the effects - hard for me to do.

Iwantmy3 | 21. November 2018

Since my earlier post, I have been able to add some colder weather results to my list. Below is a more comprehensive experience list. (Note: 75 mph / 120 km/h is typically my EAP set speed. Most of these drives are 1 1/2 to 3 hours long with no significant change in elevation. Adjusted for wind)

60F No heat or A/C @75 mph - ~233 Wh/m
75 °F with A/C @75 mph - ~237 Wh/m
85 °F with A/C @75 mph - ~239 Wh/m
50 °F with Heat @ 75 mph - 262 Wh/m
32 °F with Heat @ 75 mph - 299 Wh/m
23 °F with Heat @ 75 mph - 320 Wh/m

These are typical values I have seen over my first 13000 miles.

LR RWD with aeros. Caps on.

derotam | 21. November 2018

Those numbers look very reasonable.

@Iwantmy3 The higher numbers seem reasonable (also depends what temp you are heating to), but the others are low for 75 MPH average speed. 234 Wh/mi is rated efficiency over a variety of speeds (and regen braking recapture), seeing that at 75 MPH would be an anomaly. The RWDs are better than stated, but not to that level. Curious what you mean about adjusted for wind, and what the ~ approximation means with your lower numbers. Also wondering what tire pressure you are running.

If you really are able to get those numbers that awesome, but it would seem like something else would be going on to achieve that too - drafting other traffic, high tire pressure, etc. Just saying that based on what I've seen others stating, as well as my own experience.

bob | 21. November 2018

LR RWD with aeros

Picked up on 9.29.18, I live north of Boston. Currently 2143 at 271 wh/m. I will concur that the numbers in Iwantmy3 thread above looks about right. I use my model 3 car for work and fun. Just last week I took the car skiing in NH. I am impress with the room to load skis and equipment into the trunk. I am going to park the car outside tomorrow in sub 20 degree weather to see how much of the battery is discharged due to the cold.

ssalunke | 21. November 2018

I have had my car for over a month now (AWD LRD), also in the Boston area. I have driven 1212 miles at 338 Wh/m (410 Kwh). Battery usage seem very high. Ideally, the car should have managed approximately 1700 miles @410Kwh. Already scheduled a service call with Tesla.

I drive ~35 miles one way everyday to work on freeway... straight forward drive. I have tried driving different speeds, but that 350 Wh/m number seems consistent. Dont think anything wrong with the settings. Any suggestions?

Patrick | 21. November 2018

Just posted this update on another thread:

Reporting in after three weeks of driving our 3D/19 on a mix of city/hwy driving in Tampa Bay. We're down to 260 Wh/mile since new. The number is still going down....

Will be able to post data for constant 75 mph driving as requested by the OP after a road trip next month.

dwakelee,
When I first got my car the numbers on warm days were higher.(worse). Somewhere around the 1000 mile mark they improved noticeably. I started seeing the values shown for warm days around that time. I was very pleasantly surprised but since both the readings and the consumed range appeared to be consistent with the numbers, I concluded that they must be real. I adjust for wind by a) taking note of how much wind there is and which direction, b) adding or subtracting the wind speed from the car speed, c) comparing the power consumption in both directions (these are same day return trips). I also try to get my best information from days with minimal wind.

@Iwantmy3 Tire break-in is typically the reason for the efficiency improvement at over 1K miles - many have reported similar improvements. Not sure that you can cancel out wind that way - but ok. I do still wonder about what tire pressure you were running. I'm guessing more on the order of 45 psi with your reported numbers, vs. the later spec drop to 42 psi. Of course, pressure will change as the tires warm up.

All of these results are on longer trips where the tires could be expected to be fully warmed up. I had my cold tire pressure around 43/44 in the summer. I have topped it up for cold weather driving. Cold at 50°F was 44 psi.. Cold at 23°F is closer to 40/41 psi.

tanya | 25. November 2018

Reading through the posts it seems I have a problem as my consumption is always above 300 in flat Florida. I have an AWD LR with over 2,500 miles. Could somebody help me out? What should I do? I switched from sport to chill but it is still over 300. I drive about 50-60 miles each day with 2/3 of it on the highway.

Pages