Forums

Bluetooth issue- What to expect

Bluetooth issue- What to expect

I had my model 3 delivered to my home last week. I absolutely love the car. Lots of fun to drive. I had one important issue which was the Bluetooth for cell phone calls. The Bluetooth icon kept turning on and off. Of course, the cell phone conversation would start and stop. I called Tesla support and they asked me a series of questions and decided I need to bring it in to the service center. My appointment is for Monday (2 days from now). Three questions:

1) Has this happened to anyone else?
2) Was it difficult to fix?
3) If they have to keep the car, do I get a loaner?

cafutter | 04. November 2018

bump

garretn | 04. November 2018

Have not experienced this kind of behavior. I'm just going to throw this out here but have you tried rebooting the system? Hold down both steering wheel knobs for a few seconds. Weird behaviors can sometimes be fixed this way.

cnsf | 04. November 2018

Does the bluetooth do this with other phones or just the one you connected? Try and narrow down to whether it is a connection to one device issue or to many. If many, bring it in for service. If just one, check the settings on your phone (or maybe you have a phone that doesn't have the right BT standard).

ILoveMyModel3 | 04. November 2018

Mine has done this since I took delivery of the car on September, 29, 2018. I just turn the recent calls and contacts options off. However, I would like to take it in to be fixed because there's clearly an issues.

cafutter | 04. November 2018

I did pair my wife's I-phone 6S and my son's LG G6. They paired nicely and work well, So what is it about my phone which doesn't work well?

derotam | 04. November 2018

Sounds like it isnt a problem with the car, just your phone. People see these issues will all car manufacturers....not all phones work with all cars bluetooth correctly...not much rhyme or reason. Bluetooth implementation isnt very even across devices.

cnsf | 04. November 2018

What kind of phone is it and what version of the OS? I had an iPhone 6 that also acted goofy with the car. I finally sucked it up and got a new phone. No connectivity issues with Bluetooth since.

cafutter | 06. November 2018

Samsung Galaxy Note 8. It pairs with other things beautifully. It pairs with the Tesla nicely but the Bluetooth keeps turning off and on. I also have a Samsung S2 watch. I turned the watch off and uninstalled it from my phone to see that it an issue. It is not. The Tesla service center downloaded the logs to see if they can divine what the problem is. I hope it is not my phone. Otherwise, I love my car.

nicktford | 06. November 2018

I have the same issue - the bluetooth stack on the Tesla constantly restarts. I have a Pixel 3 but had the same issue with an HTC 10. My wife's iPhone doesn't have the issue.

The quick fix is to turn off share contacts on either the phone or car, but that means all calls come through as numbers. It's a PITA

alisse | 07. November 2018

When I had disabled media playback for the Tesla in the BT settings on my phone, the connection would keep dropping out and back in again. After I set it back to defaults, no problem. Might be worth checking/repairing the connection.

adam | 23. Mai 2019

I have a One Plus 6T and my phone was working fine for the first 6 months of ownership. Three weeks ago on May 4th my Autopilot stopped working along with Bluetooth. A phone call to support fixed the AP issue but the Bluetooth issue is lingering. Symptoms include: Call connects fine but there is no audio through the vehicle send/recv, i am also getting a funky digital crackle sound while calls connect and disconnect. I have tried re-pairing, calling support a second time, and the issue persists. Anybody have any similar issues?

martinshopping | 24. Mai 2019

As a former mobile technology blogger/reporter I can say this is a very familiar, very old song. Since the days we first started connecting our smartphones to cars via Bluetooth there have always been some that were just not getting along reliably.

There is some very good advice above (re-booting all systems, narrowing down to device type or specific device etc). I addition though, the following general rules apply:

If you depend on your car - phone interface to behave reliably an predictably - use an iPhone. Their systems are the most stable and standardized which makes the interface with the car similarly stable. The only time this rule doesn't apply is when major new BT standards roll out. Apple is Sloooowww to update their systems to comply. Ecosystem fragmentation is the lowest in the business which has a huge impact on predictable behavior.

Back in the glory days of Windows Mobile/Phone their systems were reliable and predictable, and MS updated the BT stacks to keep with the standards. However, car manufacturers rarely proffered compatibility, although it was usually pretty good, just a few features that might not have been supported.

Android has always been, and likely will remain, a hot mess. There are no real standards for the OS's built on this platform, and from Google's perspective, fragmentation is considered a "Feature - not a bug". System updates and adherence to BT standards is spotty and unreliable itself, so it's interface with your car will never be inherently stable.

Bottom line, if phone-car BT interface reliability and stability over time are a big concern, buy an iPhone. I hate to say it, but it's true.