Forums

Tesla now shipping CPOs (again)

Tesla now shipping CPOs (again)

I was in the market for a CPO Model S and ended up putting a payment on one on Saturday (1 Dec). After doing some research the past couple weeks, I've learned the CPO process has significantly changed, one of which is that Tesla was no longer offering shipping and local pick-up only. This was my assumption going in and I was prepared to buy a plane ticket to San Francisco where the vehicle was listed as a local pick-up. However, I received an email this morning from a "Tesla Inside Delivery Advisor" saying this vehicle would be shipped to my nearest Tesla delivery center. This was obviously news to me so I gave her a call to clarify. Apparently, as of this week, they will ship CPOs to your nearest Tesla delivery center for a flat rate fee of $2,000. While not the cheapest option, it does save me a lot of time and money since taking delivery of a vehicle in California requires you to pay CA sales tax regardless if you're an out-of-state residence. The state I'll be registering the car in doesn't have sales tax so that's a pretty significant saving. Anyways, just wanted to let anyone else know that is in a similar situation.

sbeggs | 03. Dezember 2018

Excellent to know, thanks!

Vegan | 03. Dezember 2018

WHAT!?!
grr, I literally JUST bought might and paid way more than $2k in taxes, airfare, etc to go pick it up.
These CONSTANT changes in what Tesla does and doesn't do really irk me.

shred86 | 11. Dezember 2018

So I’m still waiting for my Model S to be shipped and available for pick-up. I have it scheduled for delivery to my house this Friday. Today, I was looking at the Dropbox link I was originally sent with pictures of the car and noticed they added two new ones that shows scratches on the front of the car. I checked the date on the images and they were taken last Wednesday (5 Dec) at the Fremont delivery center in CA. I placed my order on the Saturday prior (1 Dec). From the original images I saw, the scratches were not visible but the pictures were not focused on this area of the car (still fairly high resolution photos though at 1600x1200). I’m not sure if these are new scratches from moving/transporting the vehicle or if they’ve always been there. Either way, I’m curious to see what Tesla does about it. I’m still waiting for a response back from the sales agent.

gmc3 | 14. Dezember 2018

If you've paid sales tax in CA and register it again elsewhere, you shouldn't get double-charged - check with your local DMV or department of licensing.

Vegan | 15. Dezember 2018

gmc3, I won't get double-charged for tax, just overpay for tax.
And it's making it harder to get the car registered. If I bought it in-state then the requirements to register it are easier and I can do it online but since it was out of state I need the title and I have to go in person (or pay someone to do it for me).

shred86 | 19. Dezember 2018

I’m registering it in a state that doesn’t have sales tax, hence the reason I didn’t want to pay CA tax. I took delivery of the car last Friday and supposedly they’re going to mail me a self-registration packet.

As for the scratches I mentioned previously, the used car rep said I could take it to the service center to be replaced after I took delivery since it’s the removable front fascia piece. After I got the vehicle, I can’t get a hold of the used car sales rep or the two delivery agents I was working with. I took it to the service center and explained what I was told and they looked at me like I was crazy. Love the car but Tesla’s customer service has been absolutely terrible.

abarb3 | 31. Dezember 2018

I am not impressed with the Tesla CPO process. I was determined to get an S or an X. However, due to the damage that every single CPO S had, we decided to go with a new model 3. Does Tesla not service the cats like they say they do prior to putting them up for sale? Even minor TLC would help get the cars up to a reasonable asthetic level.

TeslaTap.com | 01. Januar 2019

What CPO process? I'm fairly sure the CPO program was abandoned a year ago or so. Now it's a used car sales process, with the plus of a Tesla warranty for 2 or 4 years (which is quite good). Some cars may be clean and some not so much. You have to look it over carefully to decide if it is a good value to you or jump into a new car instead.