Forums

Supercharger cost

Supercharger cost

I've seen a few posts regarding people wanting to put superchargers at their home (without realizing supply issues)
Well I found out that my crazy house that I bought a year ago has 800amp service (240volt) - which translates to approx 140kwh availability if 80% of the panel is allocated.
I haven't seen any posts on the cost of a charger station. Anyone know what the raw costs for the hardware??? I have a licensed electrician on-staff full time doing extensive renovations for my home and as long as I can source one, he's willing to put it in. Is the charger even available for sale?

I haven't bought a Tesla yet but the company keeps bugging me to place my order (to which I have a deposit for one but never went past that).
That would really make a difference in my decision (especially that I have solar panels being installed in the spring)

ravisundaramam | 13. Dezember 2018

You talk like this because you have not owned a fully battery powered vehicle yet. You dont need this. Very very rarely need to do a full charge in 90 minutes. or 10% to 80% in 45 minutes.
You need fast charging far from home. At home 12 kW is good enough. The car is going sit idle all night, whats the hurry?

hammer @OR-US | 13. Dezember 2018

Just the charger stack alone for a full 120KW will be $25000 ($2500ea for a 12kW module x 10) then add pedestal and disconnect another 5-10K and I dont know what else but I'd guess it'd run $50K total.

hammer @OR-US | 13. Dezember 2018

Just did a google search and turned up that Tesla has sold some privately owned 2x60kw Superchargers for about $70K so my guesstimate was pretty close.

jordanrichard | 13. Dezember 2018

Before you go an spend the above quoted $70K, you may want to first see if your local town will let you put in such a high powered device in a residential neighborhood.

Xerogas | 13. Dezember 2018

Pretty sure OP just misspoke, and wants a normal charger at home.

ldf8 | 13. Dezember 2018

Superchargers need very specific permitting, and most places that are residential would not qualify per Tesla guy at store when I asked if local wealthy owners want to put in superchargers. He notes that some are abroad where the country's rulers are the ones that want them, and they do not need to get permits. But no residential superchargers that he knew of here in US.

Yodrak. | 13. Dezember 2018

Wondering where this person lives that the electric utility is putting in the distribution infrastructure to support the houses in the neighborhood to have 800 amp services. And he didn't know that he had service that's 2-4 times what's typical these days?

kent | 14. Dezember 2018

I find the pricing a bit "insane"... I can understand the infrastructure costs to be large but don't understand how that matches up to actual costs. My brother has the model 3 and we just put in the 240v charger (with 60a service). As far as I can tell the charging cable is very similar to a supercharger cable. Looking inside the charger it's just a circuit board with jumpers to tell the charger at what rate it should send the power to the car. $800 vs ($25k +)
There is a restaurant close by that has 4 of these chargers hooked up. I can't imagine them spending $50k for something that is BARELY used (I pass by there all the time) - much less than $150k-$200k if your figures are correct. I wonder if there is some kind of "hack" for the regular charger to tell it to go full rate (at 120kwh) - of course changing out the parts that have direct contact with 600a power and beefing it up.... I don't expect most to know the specifics but I just can't see where the number disparity comes up. I can "understand" say $5-$10k but not exponentially up from that.

BTW: my house was originally built by Westinghouse. Since he was directly involved with the propagation of electric (along with the REAL Nikola Tesla), that should explain to you why there is so much capacity at this house. If there was picture uploading here, I would show you the 2 massive 400a fuse blocks that bridge to give 800a that is feeding the property. The feed wires are enormous - about 1" thick of copper. The conduit is 3" It's underused and I was trying to figure out how I can take advantage of this. Do I NEED a supercharger here?? Maybe not, but it sure would make it far easier to just pick up and go anytime I want. I can wait overnight but sometimes you get lazy and forget to fuel up - just like a regular gasoline powered car. Plus, I have 220 solar panels being installed in the spring and nothing like charging the car for free in the middle of the day. And lastly, I would NOT spend $25k ($70k - means I can buy a 2nd tesla as a backup car if 1 wasn't charged!!!). A reasonable number I would consider - which is why I was asking....

reed_lewis | 14. Dezember 2018

There is two types of charging. A/C and D/C A/C charging is what your local restaurant most likely has, and what is installed at your brother has.

OTOH D/C charging is what super chargers use. The majority of the cost is the electronics to convert the A/C coming into the house into D/C and to control the amount of power that goes to the car.

If you go to any super charger location there is always an area with equipment. There is a cabinet which is the super charger and typically another support cabinet. This is why only Tesla installs super chargers typically.

If you ordered a Model S, get the dual A/C charger option which allows 72 A at 240V or (17kW) charging. You can wire a 100 amp circuit to the Tesla wall connector, and charge your 100 kW Tesla from empty to full in 5 hours.

Question... You have 240V service, and 400A on each side of the 240V line? That means you have 400A at 240V and 800A at 120V service. That is twice what I have (I have 200A at 240V), but hardly 800A service.

So if that is the case, you have only 96 kW coming into the house.

One more thing. Super Chargers require 400V service to work correctly from what I remember.

hammer @OR-US | 14. Dezember 2018

OP you really need to read up on the difference between car "chargers" and "connectors" and L2 vs. L3 charging.

hammer @OR-US | 14. Dezember 2018

And reed is right, you have 400 amp service, not 800.

ravisundaramam | 14. Dezember 2018

Kent, if you are living in a home built by and lived in by George Westinghouse, look carefully at every nook and cranny. You might some valuable artefact that could be auctioned at a good price. That would be a better investigation to do than this super charger thing.

Imagine! He might have buried a few pounds of gold as an emergency reserve somewhere. Or you might find the original contract that promised Nikola 2$ for every A/C motor. (When GW complained that royalty agreement was making the motors unaffordable, naive Nikola waived the whole thing. He did not ask for a reduced amount or deferred payment or royalty holiday. GW must have been more ecstatic than the coffee company executives after meeting with Cosmo Kramer in Seinfeld when Nikola just chucked the whole thing. )

Earl and Nagin ... | 14. Dezember 2018

Don't forget that if you do charge at 120 kW, your utility will probably charge you a demand fee on top of the cost of the electricity. This is why many Supercharger stations have batteries -- to lower the instantaneous demand. That would add another $50K to $100K.
As others have recommended, the OP should just go with a 100 amp, 240 volt circuit to enable up to 20 kW charging using a normal charging connector (AKA EVSE, charging station, "charger", etc) and the onboard chargers already paid for with the car.

Yodrak. | 15. Dezember 2018

"Don't forget that if you do charge at 120 kW, your utility will probably charge you a demand fee on top of the cost of the electricity. "

I doubt that many utilities have a demand component in their residential rates. I've never seen a utility that did. (Maybe in California, which has exceptions - is exceptional? - to many things that the rest if the USA does not. :-) )

Earl and Nagin ... | 15. Dezember 2018

I know of other states than CA that charge demand fees and others that are seriously considering it. Meeting demand spikes is a real challenge.

TM3Q | 16. Dezember 2018

The Tesla charger 240V 48 amps (on a 60A breaker) is sufficient. Why do you want to charge so quickly and put more strees to the battery for nothing and reduce it's life? Enemy number one for battery is hot temperature so if it's already hot and you are trying to charge at a high rate this will heat the battery and the cooling system will try to cool it down but still affecting the battery in the longer run.

Xerogas | 16. Dezember 2018

@kent: weird flex, but OK...