Forums

Model 3 Fuel Cost Update

Model 3 Fuel Cost Update

Sharing an update regarding our latest Model 3 fuel costs after pulling data from a few days of average normal metro driving in our LR3D/19. Charging data source was our Eyedro home charging monitor, utility energy rate is $0.12 per kWh:

- Date = 1/21/19
- Miles driven = 74
- Fuel (NEMA 14-50 charging at home) = 11 kWh

Fuel cost = $0.018 per mile

- Date = 1/18/19
- Miles = 58
- Fuel = 10 kWh

Fuel cost = $0.021 per mile

- Date = 1/16/19
- Miles = 91
- Fuel = 13 kWh

Fuel = $0.017 per mile

Wow - an average fuel cost of only $0.019 per mile - truly amazing! It's been encouraging to estimate the fuel cost/mile based on specs, and seeing the real-life results with hard data is even better. Way to go Tesla!

wiboater4 | 22. Januar 2019

Do you have the sensor connected on the Eyedro connected so it just monitors what the Tesla is drawing? Is that also including the electricity drawn for battery management?

Patrick | 22. Januar 2019

Yes and yes.

It's an all-in measurement of all the energy provided to the car from the NEMA 14-50. Here's a description of the Eyedro installation from a previous post:

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/tesla-fuelenergy-manager

RJMIII | 22. Januar 2019

OK - I actually have been tracking my energy usage for about the last three years since I installed Nests in my home. I have one year of Pre-Nest Data, One Year of Post-Nest Data and six months of Post Nest Data with the Model 3. I can see from the data that the Model 3 is adding between 450 and 900 KWh (these are best engineering judgments of noisy data as weather impacts both the Model 3 mileage and the heating cost for my home but I'm doing my best here) depending on summer versus winter.

I pay $0.11 per KWh. So, it's costing me between $50 to $100 per month to drive the 2170 miles I average per month. That works out to $0.023 per mile to $0.046 per mile. So, my summer driving number is in line with the OP's experience.

slingshot18 | 22. Januar 2019

In southern California, so electricity rates are terrible. My average for the 12 months prior to Model 3 was $0.227. EV would have been all highest tier at $.35/kWh. But I have a new solar system, so the numbers get a lot better. I need to get more real world data on the solar+car, because just winter months aren't the full story, but if I amortize the cost of solar over 10 years, my cost per mile is $.036 and a full charge of $11.25. If I amortize it over 20 years, it's $0.022 and a full charge costs $6.79. As the solar system life expectancy is 25 years, it's actually even better than that.

kcheng | 22. Januar 2019

Okay, is it summer where you live, cause your range on so few kilowatt-hrs seem amazing!

kcheng | 22. Januar 2019

@sling, how big a solar system did you get?

slingshot18 | 22. Januar 2019

@kcheng In total, 13.3kw from two systems. Lots of complicating factors, such as a small system put in the by the builder and a roof with lots of small sections varying in angle (woohoo, looks cook, sucks for solar). First small system took all the good roof with lousy 265 panels. The new system uses 320 panels but all facing the wrong direction. But my payback is about 5 years, so I'm happy. In total, I have 44 panels.

dbwitt | 23. Januar 2019

So if the battery is 75kWh, a complete charge would theoretically cost about $9 at $0.12/kWh. If that same charge got you 310 miles of range, that would be closer to about $0.03/mile. And that is with perfect efficiency and no vampire loss. If you are getting less than that, very impressive!

wiboater4 | 23. Januar 2019

dbwitt I only pay .088 per KWH on time of use. $6.60 That same 310 miles in gasoline costs for a 25 mpg average range car is around $24. at $2. per gal price .

dbwitt | 23. Januar 2019

@wiboater4, that's a great rate! I was referring to the price the OP stated that his calculations were based on...

wiboater4 | 23. Januar 2019

dbwitt I got your post. I just wanted to put out there that a lot of people are on the lower time of use rates. No offense intended. I have solar also but you have to remember you get paid for your solar power sent to the grid in some cases so I'm still paying the 8 cents .

qqaaplz | 23. Januar 2019

OP, are you sure your monitor is functioning?

You said, your "utility energy rate is $0.12 per kWh", You also said "Wow - an average fuel cost of only $0.019 per mile - truly amazing! I"

If the numbers are right, you would derive it to a rate of $0.12/$0.019=6.316 miles/kwh,

LRM3 battery capacity is 75 kwh, so you could drive 75*6.316=473.6 miles per full charge! in the winter time!

I guess those who get 100-150 winter miles can use your data to ask Tesla for refund!

Patrick | 06. Februar 2019

qq - our Eyedro monitor is working well and it's quite accurate. I'm not following your example stated above.

Our 3D/19 gets an average of about 250 Wh/mile or 4 miles per kWh for normal around town driving. Fuel economy is reduced to about 300 Wh/mile during 75 mph highway driving.

Sharing our January fuel cost numbers for those who might be interested in using a similar system to monitor or meter their fuel costs:

https://ibb.co/99SdYFd

fazman | 06. Februar 2019

I exclusively supercharge, my cost is wasted time when I nap or play Clash Royale in my car. Often I make shopping trips to places near my supercharger to be efficent.

fazman | 06. Februar 2019

Sorry i meant I have lifetime free supercharging

CST | 06. Februar 2019

@fazman - eventually, your cost will include a reduction in super charging speed as well as increased battery degradation.

kcheng | 06. Februar 2019

"slingshot18 | January 22, 2019
... But my payback is about 5 years,"

Thanks for the info. Besides the federal credit, what other credits are you getting from your state and/or utility?

Rt002k | 06. Februar 2019

Patrick - if you're getting 4 miles per kWh, and you are paying $0.12 per kWh, you are paying $.03 / mile.

Patrick | 09. Februar 2019

Close - in our case those rough numbers equate to about 2 cents per mile as measured by our system. Gotta love it!

EM34ME | 09. Februar 2019

My 3MR is six weeks old. I drove 800 miles from 12/21 to 1/17 with 75% of those miles on the freeway at 65/70 mph. According to my utility bill I spent ~ $14 on charging energy which includes both production and distribution costs. It is easy to calculate because I only charge at home in the middle of the night at "super off peak" rates and other than the fridge, nothing else is on. This figures out to $0.0175 per mile - in SoCal. But wait, there's more, I really paid $0.00/mile since I have Solar City panels on my roof and I generate more than I use. They will be fully amortized this year.

I don't need no stinkin' lifetime Supercharging! :-)

ebmcs03 | 09. Februar 2019

Clearly those are not so cal pricing.

Electric car doesn’t save any money in so cal for $dollar / mile driven. Electricity costs too much. Dont get me started with TOU. in order to get mediocre night time electricity ($0.13) pricing it Drives my whole house electricity higher. ($0.48) So it would cost me over all more than a gas car out of pocket to drive EV.

EM34ME | 09. Februar 2019

Yes it is SoCal, SCE in Inland Empire to be exact. I assure you my numbers are correct. We do the equivalent of "hypermiling" in terms of our single family residential electrical use. I use TOU rates. There is a three tier rate structure, - peak, off-peak, and super off-peak. Yes, peak time rates are more expensive but if you use very little electric at peak times, like we do, then TOU makes sense.