Forums

So when do we get Spotify?

So when do we get Spotify?

jimglas | 05. Februar 2019

right after SeriusXM

EVRider | 05. Februar 2019

When you move to Europe.

erm1 | 05. Februar 2019

lol - it is sad that they have it in Europe and we don't -Spotify has 86 million paid subscribers while slacker has 400,000, seems kinda stupid for Tesla to limit itself like that - long time premium family spotify account won't be changing -

TeslaTap.com | 05. Februar 2019

I'm indifferent - Slacker or Spotify. Of course, you'd get howls of protest from many owners who have Slacker accounts if you forced them to switch. Spotify wasn't in the USA when Tesla was designing the streaming system so they went with Slacker. At the time, Spotify was only in Europe. Doesn't mean they couldn't offer the option today, but I suspect it is way down on the feature list.

No42 | 11. Februar 2019

+1 for Spotify in US.

blue adept | 15. Februar 2019

Do you have a cellphone?

Do you have Spotify or Slacker or SiriusXM or Pandora or iTunes or damn near any other music player app on your phone (as many do)?

Do you have a micro-to-standard USB cable?

Then plug your phone into the Tesla USB jack and enjoy your music!

Do you have a 3.5mm-to-USB converter?

Then either load all of your music files onto, say, an external SSD and plug that into the USB port after formatting the audio files into one of the supported audio formats:

MP3, OGG, OGA, FLAC, MPC, WV, SPX, TTA, MP4, M4A, M4B, M4P, 3G2, WMA, ASF, AIF, AIFF, WAV, APE, AAC

Or just simply use the 3.5-to-USB converter to plug your MP3 (or whatever) player into one of Tesla's USB ports and enjoy!

EVRider | 16. Februar 2019

@blue adept: You can't play music from a phone or other media player via the USB port in a Tesla, you have to use Bluetooth for that. You were correct about playing from a USB flash drive.

It doesn't help anyone here to post advice without actually knowing if it will work. I'm guessing you don't actually own a Tesla.

NKYTA | 16. Februar 2019

Wait, what?

You can use Bluetooth to play music from your phone in a Tesla from whatever source.

You can plug in a USB drive to play music in a Tesla.

@Roofless, maybe I am inadvertently making your point...or maybe I’m not understanding the question...

blue adept | 17. Februar 2019

@EVRider

As it turns out I actually have several, all of which apparently function differently than yours, unfortunately for you.

TeslaTap.com | 18. Februar 2019

On plugging your phone into the USB data port (not Bluetooth), some phones will work, but most do not. Apple in particular does not support this technique in the Tesla.

marlinputnam8745 | 22. März 2019

Tesla is soon releasing spotify app integration in it's vehicles in the US,as you may know this feature is already available in european fleet,spotify is one of the most requested services by Tesla owners.

josia75 | 22. März 2019

I haven't head anything new about Tesla updating the system to add Spotify, does any one have a link or something which can confirms this? Last I checked their was in article 3 years ago which said it is coming soon (yeah ok).

bbird | 26. April 2019

@marlinputnam8745

What is your source for this?

TeslaTap.com | 26. April 2019

Lots of random owner conjecture - but I've not seen anything that even hint at it from Tesla. My guess is like any change it would create an uproar from those that are happy with Slacker to be forced to switch. I can't see Tesla offering both, but who knows. Could be cool to offer a large range of streaming choices and let the owner pay for the service(s) they want. For me, I'd prefer Amazon streaming, but find Slacker ok too.

pocastillo | 27. April 2019

I just miss Appleplay.. PLEASE ADD APPLE PLAY TO THE SCREEN!!!! This car is so perfect in many way but lacks servery in phone integration. I do not miss anything about my Dodge Challenger but my apple play option.

robertjamesdavis | 14. Mai 2019

I spent the last couple of weeks putting together an in depth tutorial of how to get Spotify up and running on your Tesla in under 30 minutes. Enjoy!

https://tslaspot.com

-Rob

TeslaTap.com | 15. Mai 2019

@robertjamesdavis - Thanks for putting this together - interesting solution, but does cost $15/mo on top of Spotify costs. Seems like the only viable solution today.

andy.connor.e | 15. Mai 2019

just stream it off your phone data. Its more economical to put $10-$15/mo into increasing your data plan IF YOU NEED IT, rather than trying to integrate it into your Tesla. I assume people use the phone key, if so, you always have your phone with you. And assuming you use it as the car key, you're hooked up to bluetooth. Not sure how that isnt the easier solution.

robertjamesdavis | 15. Mai 2019

@tesla.tap - no problem. works great as an all purpose computer. I also use it to stream Netflix and it’s pretty slick for conference calls / video conferencing

@andy.connor.e - I think folks are looking to put the phone down and interact with the touchscreen in front of them. That’s my understanding at least.

farr.peterm | 29. Juni 2019

People suggesting you just use your phone with Bluetooth are just apologists for a BAD design. The bluetooth audio sounds terrible and is absolutely nothing like how music sounds direct in. Unfortunately Tesla has decided to not support Android auto or Apple car play. That really really sucks. The vast majority of users already have Spotify already, so either support streaming directly through the car, or support Android Auto/Apple Car Play. This isn't about saving on bandwidth costs, it's about sound quality and a seemless native experience!

blue adept | 29. Juni 2019

@farr.peterm

>>> "a BAD design."

In case you didn't know (and it doesn't seem that you do) the equalizer settings on both your device and those integrated into Tesla's audio software allow you to, to a certain degree, tailor the sound to suit your particular aural preferences.

As for services such as Android's or Apple's platforms, well, they present certain security concerns given their overly invasive program architecture and seemingly constant need to be in contact with their provider's mother-ship (as it were), so I don't see any integration for those services.

Other than that, Tesla's are THE most technologically advanced vehicles on the road today (and for the foreseeable future for that matter given the sentiment expressed by the conventional auto industry execs and insiders) which employ the sort of equally advanced navigation and system's management electronics that are on par with aerospace avionics that are used on satellites, rockets, spaceships and jet planes.

Ergo, clearly you know NOT what you speak of and so, should STFU! No offense.

blue adept | 29. Juni 2019

@robertjamesdavis

I think that you are right in your assessment of the situation and feel that people just need to recognize that it isn't that it isn't doable, per se, it's just that it isn't advisable/wise given the ;potential risks associated with the use of certain services.

betesami | 29. Juni 2019

I also think that Spotify should be the integrated music streaming choice in the US. The Bluetooth audio compression is just not the same as direct in.
Not to mention the ease of on screen control.

blue adept | 30. Juni 2019

Alas, 'you can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all the people all of the time'.

blakamp | 30. Juni 2019

Yes, Tesla should have Spotify natively integrated in the US... and Pandora and iHeartRadio and MLB and others.

Sure, playing off your phone is a solution, but it is inelegant and ultimately has safety issues. While workable, it’s a franken-integration beneath Tesla’s product sophistication that is evident in every other aspect of the car. The approach has clumsy consequences around control consistency, voice integration, favoriting, playlisting, etc.

While not trivial to implement, Tesla could tightly define the UI framework and expose APIs for major 3rd party partners to consistently add music services to the car. Something like Sonos for automotive. That’d be an elegant, managed means for Tesla to expose the relevant audio services cleanly.

I delve into that here:
Tesla Arcade and Automotive Platforms
https://link.medium.com/W0GjbtUKVX

blue adept | 01. Juli 2019

Alas, people are never satisfied, are they?!

So I just dug this up...

If you are an existing Spotify Premium subscriber with the Spotify app installed on your phone and have received/installed the firmware update 2019.12.x on your Tesla, then you can make use of this third party app called "TesPlayer" ( https://www.tesplayer.com/ ) to stream your Spoti tracks and what have you.

You'll have to connect your phone to the vehicle via Bluetooth and follow some simple installation instructions to make it all functional.

You can read all about it here:

https://www.teslarati.com/how-to-play-spotify-tesla-music-streaming/

I'd like to take this time to say that I DO NOT advocate or support the use of this third party app.

It should be used with the explicit understanding that doing so is at your own risk so, if you're just that damn desperate to incorporate the Spotify service into your Tesla experience then have at it, again, AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Satisfied now?

yacraighead | 04. Juli 2019

I'm about to install some random extension to play music in my new model 3 and open up a can of vulnerabilities, really wish this was available out of the box!

yacraighead | 04. Juli 2019

Lol just read up a few comments, TesPlayer was the "some app" i'm talking about. I don't even have my browser enabled in my new car, i assumed they disabled it because of the vulnerabilities they found. I'm surprised they didn't go with Chromium to begin with...

Satisfied? I mean this is installing third party extensions on your CAR were talking about... "I DO NOT advocate or support the use of this third party app." he says... Jeez..

calvin940 | 05. Juli 2019

If they created a nice sandboxed app platform I'd be a-ok with that. I also want spotify instead of Slacker. The slacker implementation (no playlist support) and I just don't like the service. I am a premium member of it but it is lacking. I am not interested in steaming off my phone for a number of reasons one of which is that I have lifetime LTE with my car so no need to burn my data.

TeslaTap.com | 05. Juli 2019

Realized on "So when do we get Spotify?" , one solution no one has suggested is to move to Europe! Ok, trying to be funny :) Fighting too many spam bots today...

blue adept | 08. Juli 2019

@yacraighead

Well, if people are just that damn desperate for some Spotti action and aren't that adept at adjusting equalizer settings through a BlueTooth connection to adjust the sound according to their specific audio preferences, perhaps some third party app is just the option for them...?!

Better that than exposing their ignorance by trying to cast aspersions on Tesla by implying that they're impaired by a "bad design".

blakamp | 09. Juli 2019

Requesting Spotify (or iHeart or Pandora) is not a matter of “bad design”. It is a reasonable request for a product improvement. The approach suggested above to Franken-integrate Spotify is not a real solve for everyday users. As the leading music service, Spotify should be supported natively in the US. (As I understand, it already is in Europe.)

From where I sit, Tesla is the best vehicle on the planet, but its infotainment subsystem lacks the polish and sophistication of the rest of the vehicle. That’d be “fine”, were it not for Tesla’s oft stated goal of autonomy, which will eventually shift primary passenger focus to the infotainment system... and generate eventual demand for native video, more gaming and productivity apps.

Evolution of the infotainment system presents a meaty value creation opportunity for Tesla, and new economic possibilities. There are a zillion paths there. For those interested in my particular takes on that evolution, here are links to more detailed posts:

Immediate-term fixes for Tesla to tackle...
Six Upgrades for the Tesla Entertainment Experience
https://link.medium.com/wtcRTuQ0aY

The longer-term infotainment transition...
Tesla Arcade and Automotive OS’s https://link.medium.com/7qKUWWJ0aY

andy.connor.e | 09. Juli 2019

@farr.peterm

You dont need android auto. The Tesla maps is practically google maps. Use your phone for music. If the audio quality is that bad, perhaps you're using an old phone that has bluetooth 3.0 or perhaps even lower. Because i get the same problem with my phone that has Bluetooth 5.0 on my speaker that has a 3.0 module. Audio is much better with aux cable.

blue adept | 10. Juli 2019

@andy.connor.e

Unfortunately people like @farr.peterm, and especially @blakamp, don't want to listen to readily available common sense solutions, choosing instead to manufacture the perception of an issue where there actually isn't one.

blue adept | 10. Juli 2019

@blakamp

Spotify might be the 'leading music service in Europe, but this isn't Europe.

Perhaps you should move overseas or learn how to optimize the technology already available to you instead of belittling Tesla by disseminating criticisms to sway people's opinion because you can't get people to cater to your every whim and fancy.

blakamp | 10. Juli 2019

@blue adept

A quick look at Statistica shows that 20% of folks in the US used Spotify in 2018. Likely higher in 2019. They’re neck and neck without Apple Music, which has a lead in the US. Globally, Spotify wins. What % use Slacker?

Worth noting, Tesla has already done the heavy lifting of integrating Spotify in Europe.

I’ll disregard your “move to Europe” suggestion for what it is... obviously impractical and designed to get a reaction. If your argument is Tesla shouldn’t be a market leader and users should simply “use their phone”, I personally don’t buy it. It’s an inelegant solution that creates a “texting while driving” problem of having to constantly pick up one’s phone. Every other manufacturer is working to solve that one way or another. Multiple manufacturers are working to integrate music services like Pandora, iHeart and Spotify natively. Tesla should as well... and Tesla has the opportunity to deliver something 100x better than solutions by competitors.

As for CarPlay and Android Auto, IMHO they are bolt on solutions that cede control to Apple and Google. Admittedly, I love Apple products, but it’s like inviting a saber tooth tiger into your living room to solve a mouse problem.

Regardless, I’m not sure why one would argue that Tesla’s best course of action is to double down on archaic approaches. It’s music software, not rocket science.

blakamp | 10. Juli 2019

@blue adept

By the way, if one were to argue that integrating other music services is not Tesla’s most pressing issue to solve with the limited resources of the infotainment software team, that’s a reasonable argument... though I might disagree with how one assesses relative priorities.

blakamp | 10. Juli 2019

@blue adept

By the way, if one were to argue that integrating other music services is not Tesla’s most pressing issue to solve with the limited resources of the infotainment software team, that’s a reasonable argument... though I might disagree with how one assesses relative priorities.

josephgonzalez986 | 11. Juli 2019

Tesla is navigating a fairly complex in-car music streaming situation and now Elon Musk is adding to it by hinting that Tesla cars in North America might get Spotify.
In Europe, Tesla owners have been enjoying a Spotify apknite app directly integrated into Tesla’s system for years now.
However, in North America, Tesla has a deal with Slacker to provide music streaming services to the fleet.
At one point, versions of Tesla’s Spotify app appeared in the code of North American vehicles on several occasions, but the feature was never made available to the US/Canadian fleet.

blue adept | 12. Juli 2019

@blakamp

>>> "If your argument is Tesla shouldn’t be a market leader and users should simply “use their phone”, I personally don’t buy it....Regardless, I’m not sure why one would argue that Tesla’s best course of action is to double down on archaic approaches. It’s music software, not rocket science."

My "argument" is that Tesla, as the producer of the most technologically advanced and mechanically engineered vehicle on the road today, already is the preeminent automotive market leader and so, doesn't need to rely on enticing potential buyers with features, gizmos, switches, buttons or doodads (you know, those 'archaic' artifices the ICE auto industry employs to distract drivers attention away from the fact that they're driving a toxic pollution spewing CO2 machine) to attract or generate attention to/for their cars, let alone satisfy the nuanced whims and fancies of their clientele as many people of the world are satisfied with being afforded the opportunity of owning the most advanced, emission-free vehicle in the world.

As it is now Tesla's operating system is built on a modified version of Linux Ubuntu (version 4.4), which is running on two NVIDIA Tegra processors in the vehicle’s Media Control Unit (MCU) and Instrument Cluster (IC).

With Tesla expecting to keep pushing over-the-air updates to its fleet there were always going to be expectations of hardware limitations and vehicles currently on the road have likely started reaching them which, all things considered, should make it somewhat obvious the need to minimize the impact of third-party apps to ensure the integrity of overall system functionality, afterall, it is meant to be an automobile more so than some fancy music player.

Alas, perhaps it is due to these hardware limitations that are part of the reason (with security to ensure system integrity being the primary incentive) Tesla decided to drop Nvidia and take on chip production themselves by moving it in-house?:

https://wccftech.com/tesla-finally-dumps-nvidia-claims-their-own-chip-is...

And who knows...Maybe you will, someday, get your desire for Spoti catered to?!

https://www.zdnet.com/article/elon-musk-older-tesla-cars-set-for-full-se...

To reiterate, 'you can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all the people all of the time', time will tell, but for you to sit here and insist that it is a service that Tesla 'needs' to make it current/a 'market leader' is just farcical and incredibly obtuse.

blakamp | 13. Juli 2019

@blue adept

1) I argue that the infotainment system is one area that lacks the sophistication of the rest of the vehicle. not that lack of Spotify prevents Tesla from being a leading vehicle.

2) if Tesla is headed to autonomy, then the infotainment system needs focus. It is where riders (who no longer drive) will concentrate their attentions.

3) Your argument around limited tech (chipset) resources and managing 3rd party apps is undermined by Tesla’s release of BeachBuggy, which also under your logic would be a shiny “doodad”.

4) BB and Arcade aren’t “doodads”... They are early forays into an automotive infotainment platform supported by 3rd party developers, which is awesome for Tesla’s long-term opportunity.

5) Spotify should not be built as an independent “app” a la Beach Buggy. It should be API integrated into Tesla’s audio systems in a flexible way that would allow for other major music services to be integrated as well. Like Sonos.

emakyol | 15. Juli 2019

Lack of spotify, Carplay or Android auto is pretty comical in an otherwise great platform. Carplay especially is disappointing as using Siri for messaging is both a safety feature (eyes on the road) and productivity feature in congested bay area traffic.

Couple that Waze and Spotify to make the morning commutes bearable.

Fart apps and video games are nifty, my phone can do all those and more. Tesla infotainment will never keep up with the app marketplace of android or apple and trying to do so is a bit silly, and more importantly off mission.

blue adept | 15. Juli 2019

@blakamp

You're confusing diversification of app platforms with "sophistication", or more specifically technological excellence, and your efforts to encourage the adoption of the Spotify streaming platform by disparaging Tesla just to assuage your agenda are very disingenuous to say the least.

In fact, your overly laborious efforts make it obvious to me that you're spreading all of these aspersions about YOUR perception of Tesla's lack of platform versatility just to get some notoriety for that little blog of yours you've started over on the Medium platform to draw attention to it for 'likes' or some other such superficial BS or so you could win some advertiser dollars or, hell, you might already be an industry shill paid to stir controversy about Tesla on Spotify's behalf.

Which, by the way, is particularly troublesome since Spotify is known for having integrity issues:

https://techcrunch.com/2016/04/25/hundreds-of-spotify-credentials-appear...

I'm sure people just cannot wait to expose their Tesla's to hackers who exploit their premium Spotify accounts to gain access to all manner of personal information, perhaps even the proprietary Tesla API itself through the Spotify vulnerability.

Luckily rumor has it that Tesla will, instead of relying on some third party streaming provider, be developing its own multi-tiered, SECURE, proprietary streaming music interface:

https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2017/06/23/tesla-spotify/

BTW, given the demeanor you've expressed and your insistence on pushing a known compromised service just to further your own agenda, I'm going to contact Tesla about removing your account and blocking your access to the site.

blue adept | 15. Juli 2019

@emakyol

"Comical"?

I think NECESSARY would be a more appropriate descriptor given the demonstrated vulnerability/invasiveness (Apple) of those platforms and, in case you haven't noticed, Tesla's intent isn't to 'keep up' with existing services/app platforms, but to redefine the game and set the pace, as they have been and will continue to do so.

Just saying.

blakamp | 16. Juli 2019

@blue adept

The arguments you’re making are changing. You’re now attacking Spotify’s integrity. You’re also attacking mine.

With regard to Spotify, the position doesn’t reconcile with the fact that Tesla has already integrated Spotify in Europe. If there’s a security issue, then Tesla is doing something dangerous in Europe. (I don’t think they are.)

As for me... It’s troubling to me that you seek to divine my motivations and assign nefarious incentives. Let me help you...

My motivation is to make Tesla a better car and driving experience. I don’t write to denigrate or belittle. I write as a forcing mechanism to structure my thinking. I write to foster conversation around evolution of the platform and offer a roadmap for improvements.

I publish openly with an understanding that I am bound to have logical shortfalls and that my thinking can be strengthened through constructive critique from others. I publish openly in spite of the risk of ad hominem attacks from people like yourself.

My position is simple. The most advanced vehicle in the world should have the most advanced infotainment system in the world. In my opinion, that starts with Spotify, but extends well beyond that.

blakamp | 16. Juli 2019

@blue adept

The arguments you’re making are changing. You’re now attacking Spotify’s integrity. You’re also attacking mine.

With regard to Spotify, the position doesn’t reconcile with the fact that Tesla has already integrated Spotify in Europe. If there’s a security issue, then Tesla is doing something dangerous in Europe. (I don’t think they are.)

As for me... It’s troubling to me that you seek to divine my motivations and assign nefarious incentives. Let me help you...

My motivation is to make Tesla a better car and driving experience. I don’t write to denigrate or belittle. I write as a forcing mechanism to structure my thinking. I write to foster conversation around evolution of the platform and offer a roadmap for improvements.

I publish openly with an understanding that I am bound to have logical shortfalls and that my thinking can be strengthened through constructive critique from others. I publish openly in spite of the risk of ad hominem attacks from people like yourself.

My position is simple. The most advanced vehicle in the world should have the most advanced infotainment system in the world. In my opinion, that starts with Spotify, but extends well beyond that.

tulidescargar.com | 17. Juli 2019

There are many alternatives, I'm using Snaptube to replace Spotify: https://tulidescargar.com/snaptube-apk-descargar-videos-de-youtube/

blue adept | 17. Juli 2019

@blakamp

Oooh, I must've touched upon a nerve to have made you so twitchy you double posted, lol.

Actually, I've only posted the facts regarding Spotify's documented integrity issues/breach, no 'attacks', just the truth.

And to that end, Tesla has taken the necessary precautions to ensure that no one's personal information will be compromised on their (Tesla's) platform, you know, given the fact that, as it is now, Tesla’s security is high enough for the absolute majority of owners to not worry about it as I've heard of no reports of remote hacking into Tesla's.

It is possible, from within the car, to gain access to a port that is directly connected to the car’s main bus, and some inquisitive minds have reported cracking some of the Tesla’s functions with that, such as the sound system and the headlights, but I haven’t heard of anyone hijacking the movement control or compromising actual app functionality.

Luckily it's a moot issue at this point given the fact that Tesla is developing their own music streaming platform in house.

As for you...

You say that it isn't your intent to 'denigrate' or 'belittle' Tesla, yet you exhibit trollish behavior by engaging in the liberal use of caustic, antagonistic, inflammatory and digressive terminology all with the intent to insinuate that the Tesla infotainment system, a subsystem of the very brain of the car itself, is...inadequate...and you base this assumption solely on the absence of, of all things, the triviality of a particular music streaming app.

In otherwords your intentions, as defined by your own words, are highly suspect. To that end I haven't attacked you personally so much as I've taken issue with the arbitrary manner with which you choose to express your apparent distaste over the absence of the Spotify app.

You say that your only intent is to foster growth, yet there is a right and wrong way of doing anything and you've chosen the wrong way and it is that aspect of your exchange here that I take offense with.

Your chosen manner of expressing your opinion by denigrating Tesla's technology as the means of creating the narrative that there is an area in which they are lacking merely because they aren't incorporating YOUR preferred music player, you should chose a different, less confrontational shtick to express your opinions instead of this 'shock jock' repertoire you've chosen.

You insist that the Spotify app is the basis for establishing the "most advanced infotainment system in the world"...Well, that's your opinion and you're entitled to it, just learn how to better express it without being so damn contentious and demeaning.

@tulidescargar.com

Some people are just used to what they're used to/prefer what they prefer and stubbornly, even aggressively, choose to defend their preferences.

@blakamp is once such example of this phenomena.

** ...one such....

Pages