Forums

Is it safe to ride in Tesla Car with S-ICD medical device

Is it safe to ride in Tesla Car with S-ICD medical device

I have an S-ICD implanted and was told to maintain minimum distances from certain electrical devices and motors. I don’t know where to look to find out if it’s ok for me to sit inside of a Tesla because of the batteries and electric motor.

jordanrichard | 02. März 2019

First, batteries don’t emit any EMFs.

As for the motor, if there were any EMFs that would reach into the passenger compartment, it would also surely affect the car’s electronics as well. Also and perhaps others can chime in on this, but I suspect that the aluminum that the car and the DU are made from blocks any EMF similar to lead.

TeslaTap.com | 02. März 2019

Also ICE cars also generate quite a bit of EMR (electromagnetic radiation). Is it safe to drive in an ICE car? I think you'd need to contact the S-ICD manufacturer to find out if the device is so poorly made that every vehicle should be avoided. That said, I've never heard of anyone having problems with EVs and medical devices.

SCCRENDO | 02. März 2019

I would suggest that you contact Tesla or the manufacturer of your device but I do not believe there should be any safety issues. I suspect you not the first and if this was an issue it would have been plastered all over the news