Forums

Tesla certification form for tax credit

Tesla certification form for tax credit

I received delivery of my Model 3 May 2018. How do I get the tax credit "certification" from Tesla. Do not have any certification with my delivery paper work.

pgminn52 | 02. März 2019

Anyone have info regarding getting tax credit certification from Tesla to submit to IRS for tax credit?

SCCRENDO | 02. März 2019

Just fill out the form. You need your vin and nothing from Tesla

NRGrin | 02. März 2019

Go to irs.gov and do a search for FORM 8936. It is the Qualified EV Credit Form.

DTsea | 02. März 2019

All you need is your VIN and form 8936.

pgminn52 | 03. März 2019

Thanks for info

jowilson8888 | 22. März 2019

I just filed my taxes. You need one figure that isn't inside the front door or in the owners manual for the Model 3: Battery capacity in kilowatt hours. My Evie, a mid range model, has 75 kwh capacity, according to a phone call I made to Tesla. Otherwise, it was very easy to claim my tax credit.

EVRider | 23. März 2019

I don’t believe you actually need the battery capacity. Tesla and other automakers provide a list of vehicles that qualify for the full credit.

Yodrak. | 23. März 2019

"I don’t believe you actually need the battery capacity."

Correct. You need Year Make and Model, VIN, Date Placed in Service, and Phaseout Percentage. Nothing about battery capacity. For model, S, X, or 3 will do.

chris_metevier | 08. April 2019

TurboTax DOES ask for the battery capacity among the details you have to provide; I input 78KWH for a LR single motor M3; hopefully that is correct or close enough.

EVRider | 09. April 2019

Yes, TurboTax asked me about battery capacity (and vehicle weight) too, and I put in 75 for our MR (guesstimate). The IRS only cares that the battery is 4kWH or higher and the weight is under 14,000 lbs.

Yodrak. | 09. April 2019

"TurboTax DOES ask for the battery capacity"
"Yes, TurboTax asked me about battery capacity (and vehicle weight) too"

Interesting, because there is no place to put that information on Form 8936 Qualified Plug-In Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit.

andy.connor.e | 09. April 2019

Might not be a section on the form, but TurboTax may just ask you for that information regardless.

EVRider | 09. April 2019

I'm guessing TurboTax is using that information to verify that you're eligible for the tax credit.

Yodrak. | 10. April 2019

I'm guessing that any EV make and model that one would specify has a large enough battery and enough weight to qualify. One does have to provide the VIN, which should be sufficient to catch out those who might want to try to get the credit for their golf cart?

andy.connor.e | 10. April 2019

Cant find any specific eligibility requiring a certain battery size. Only battery size requirement is plug-in hybrids to be a minimum of 4kWh. Purchase price does not seem to have an effect either. But for state tax credit, New York will give you a certain rebate based on the range of the vehicle.

SCCRENDO | 10. April 2019

I just gave my delivery paperwork to my accountant and it was done. They pretty much need the vin and the date of purchase.