Debating buying a new model x. Not sure if I should go with 2018 used or 2019 new. With all the price drops and the rumor of Tesla changing battery types. Should I wait it out a few months or not?
I would wait as long as you can.
March 14: Y reveal and one more thing S&X redesign... ;-)
inconel is right. Wait for the MY reveal. I too expect an update to MS & MX. The current P3 has a higher top speed than the MS. Tesla will fix that on Wednesday.
Tesla has FAR too much on its plate to contemplate a refresh for S or X.
Look for that in a year or three at the earliest.
I would wait until they have resolved the front shaft vibration. really annoying.
Actually, you save a lot of money by waiting for full implementation of self-driving and door-to-destination non-driver input. Put the money into a 10 or 20 year CD and then make the purchase when it matures ;-)
Realistically, get the X now! You will enjoy driving it now. Don’t keep chasing the next big advance. No matter how peescient you are, there will always be another bigger or better advance that will occur 6-12 months after you get the key fob.
Buy it when you see the options you want and can afford the price.
All very true about timing. Ordered in UK and MX ludicrous performance which has free ludicrous speed upgrade. One week later now called Performance - price gone up £1800 and Ludicrous is now £11,500 more..
On a separate note - anyone know what badges a performance now has - now they don’t call it a P100D ?
If you are waiting to buy a Tesla, you aren’t ready. As others have stated, there will always be the next big thing.
Pull the trigger when you are ready, don’t look back.
I too am debating on a model X. I've sold my C7 Corvette and I have been looking at a P100D. I did test drive the 75D and enjoyed its acceleration. Given the chance, would anyone upgrade to the P100D? Not sure I can justify the speed with that price.
I’ve had my 100D for two years and if I had the chance, I would totally have gotten the P100D if I knew back then what I know now.
That said: I want it because I’m in a couple performance car clubs and have access to sprint tracks and closed circuit tracks for high speed runs.
I have a 2016 P90DL I’m so glad I got Ludicrous not that I’m a fast driver but I do love when the teenagers pull up beside me at a light in their Mustang roaring the engine and then see them in my rear view mirror
You don't need P to beat the Mustangs.
I do it with my slow ass 100D - heh heh
Now a Huracan....you need the P
I want the mustang to get spanked and really embarrassed plus that P will get you to the Bunny Ranch faster :-)
@ OP If it was me and money wasn’t a problem I would get the new 2019.. Adoption is ok but I’d rather bring my own Baby home
For those to say buy it now, not entirely bad advises. You will enjoy it for sure. But recalling those who got their cars before ~Oct 2016 with the 1.0 AP HW and were extremely angry and mad and disappointed when AP 2.0 HW came out. We know 3.0 AP HW is coming out imminently. At least, I would wait until then UNLESS you are planning to buy FSD anyway, then go for it because Elon had said that the only difference is the computer and if you get FSD, the computer upgrade is free.
I don't know if today is a good day/time to buy.....
But I just purchased a P3D.
I must be out of my mind.
you will never regret it
Congrats JJgunn Enjoy
Unless your hand is forced (existing car dying or totaled) I would wait a few months to a year. I am sure Tesla has a plan to refresh the S and X in the face of declining sales with the Model 3 out and the Y coming next year.
I am hoping for:
1. Upgrade to V3 supercharger ability
2. Bigger battery capacity / more efficiency or both
3. Interior refresh - not critical but I am a fan of less buttons more touchscreen functions of the Model 3, others may feel the opposite
With ICE cars new technology would 'trickle down' from more expensive models or luxury brands down to mainstream cars but Tesla did such a good job with engineering the Model 3 and Y that I think they should refresh the S and X to justify the price premium over the 3, and to stay ahead of Das Kartell - VW/Audi/Porsche BMW and Mercedes.
On the other hand the X is still a great car so if you want one now I would go new. Tesla is about continuous improvement not model years anyway.
Can anyone tell me if they have gotten 30-40K miles on the Model X and have not had to replace the half shafts. I hear alot of issues with these. Are there issues here or can you keep the suspension at normal, and these issues are on older models perhaps. Is the model X generally reliable?? Your input is appreciated. Thanks much in advance.
42k km and no half shaft shudder here.
There is a Rev A & Rev B - I believe they started installing the Rev B half shafts to correct the issue in June 2018 cars & later.
If your car was manufactured after June 2018 you should be fine.
@mathwhiz might have more info (search the forum)
Out of curiosity....do you have Lane Change warning turned on? Or notice it during lane changes on NoAP, if so, this is expected behavior (steering vibration, not half-shaft shudder)
Due to very low sales of S/X cars, Tesla is forced to come up with a refresh/redesign. I would wait.
They just announced new motors for the S/X soon to replace the older AC induction motors. Efficiency will increase from 93% to 97%. Hence, more range...
If you absolutely need a Model X right now, I would probably go for a heavily discounted used one... I got mine with 15k miles and 45% off the new price when purchased originally...
Currently looking to Trade In My 2016 Honda Accord for a Model 3 SR. Was wondering if I should wait sometime?
Take delivery prior to July 1 to maximize your tax credit (assuming you live in the USA.)