Forums

2019.5.x App wake up times are super fast!

2019.5.x App wake up times are super fast!

Just got the update. Haven't tested out all the new features but app wakes the car up in 2 seconds (correction its more like 2-5 seconds) vs 30+ seconds is used to take. What a huge improvement!

Marbix | 11. März 2019

Agreed. Since updating to 2019.5.4 two weeks ago, and continuing on 2019.5.15 arriving yesterday, app wake times are now nearly always under 10-15 seconds for me, compared to the prior 30+ or maybe never seconds.

howard | 11. März 2019

That will be a much welcomed improvement. Now if I only get the update.

Eric16 | 18. März 2019

I'm consistently waking up the car in less than 10 seconds now. It used to take me up to 2 or 3 minutes sometimes on a bad day, and up to one minute on a normal day. Honestly, it was my biggest gripe with the car before the update. I had to keep staring at my phone screen while trying to put on my shoes, just to turn on the heat/AC ahead of time.

disapr | 18. März 2019

Yes, it's much faster.

Also time to summon is greatly reduced.

rkalbiarEV | 18. März 2019

Oh, wow. That is great news!

RollTideTesla | 18. März 2019

+1 I noticed the same thing. It's great. Now my backup camera is black for 1-2 seconds before it actually comes on, but I'm sure they will sort that in the next update

82bert | 18. März 2019

Agree. Was just noticing this. So much faster. Another example of the little improvements that go a long ways, but aren’t in release notes.

RP3 | 18. März 2019

+1 - much faster to connect now...such a useful improvement!!

tom8959 | 18. März 2019

Yep, way better now!

rick | 18. März 2019

Nice....one of my few frustrations solved....tx Tesla!

dwakelee | 18. März 2019

To the OP, if the app is showing 'Waking Up' for only 2 seconds, the car wasn't asleep. The app is just establishing the connection to the car when the time is that super quick. So don't get too excited just yet - give it time. Most of the cars are in the process of slowly downloading the next wide release firmware update (8.2), so they'll be awake a bit more until that gets downloaded and is ready to install. If you use Sentry mode, the car is also not going to sleep - hence the 1 to 2 MPH battery consumption with that feature.

That said, the wake-up time (when the car is truly asleep) for 5.15 does seem to be improved. About 10 seconds is typical for me with this release and current load on the Tesla servers (which also affects this). I used to see under 10 seconds long ago with 2018.32.6, then it became about 15 seconds with 2018.50.6, now back to 10 sec or less with 2019.5.15. Again - when the car was actually asleep.

terry.k.morrow | 18. März 2019

I thought significant improvement as well until this morning. Michigan has a return to temps in low 20s and I swear the super low temps put my Tesla into deep sleep. I couldn’t get it to wake up at all without resorting to same work arounds I employed before the software update. I might be wrong about correlation with temperature, but i think there’s something there...

howard | 18. März 2019

If the car has been off overnight I now have been forced to go press on the door handle to wake up the car and then it connects immediately. Was working better before. Good grief like to know the differences in the hardware.

Carl Thompson | 18. März 2019

I have noticed no difference.

terminator9 | 19. März 2019

>To the OP, if the app is showing 'Waking Up' for only 2 seconds, the car wasn't asleep.

Although, there is no way for me to test if the car is truly sleeping, I have tried this numerous times in the last week and every single time it has been 2-5 seconds for me. I only turned on Sentry mode once and then it turns off by itself.

terry.k.morrow | 19. März 2019

@terminator9 - so you don't have to enable Sentry Mode everytime? That's not been my experience and I've noticed others have stated they have to turn it on every time. I wish there was a way to have it enabled always when parked unless say its in my garage. Supposedly when its on, it doesn't allow deep sleep - which for me would be a nice work around and allow me to wake up my car more easily. especially on super cold days and i'm trying to pre heat.

dwakelee | 19. März 2019

You can use things like TeslaFi to know if car is asleep without actually waking it up. If you are handy with programming, the undocumented Tesla API provides this as well. But for a 2 second connect time you don't need anything fancy, it definitely was wide awake. This could be for lots of reasons (battery maintenance, background firmware download, BLE going in and out, etc).

SalisburySam | 19. März 2019

I’ve noticed no difference in wake up times since I got my Model 3 last July with firmware 24.8. It took about 25-30 seconds then, and it takes about 25-30 seconds now with 5.15. Both cases are from the same place in my home with the car plugged in parked in the garage. I am truly envious of the many who have seen improvements in this area, but I’m not one of them. I’m assuming the hampsters in the round cage that are tasked to initiate the car’s start-up processes are not getting any younger, much like the car’s owner.

@terminator9 - so you don't have to enable Sentry Mode everytime?

I do. I was just saying that I only enabled it once and then after I got in the car, it got disabled - to explain that sentry mode is not usually enabled on the car so that can't be what's keeping the car "awake".

Bryan.whitton | 19. März 2019

I believe that the author of Stats mentioned that wake up times in 5.15 improved. I believe I have noticed that the car response is better than before but that is just an impression

Yeah, so I have used the app about 50 times in the last week at different time. It's not always 2 seconds. Its 2-5 seconds. I can't think of any features that is keeping the car awake. Up to the day before the update it was definitely more than 30 seconds every time. I don't know what else to say :) may be where I live (Northern Virginia) the SMS to wake the car up is received quickly or something.

slingshot18 | 19. März 2019

Wake times were always under 10s for me. Usually under 5s. It's been that way for me since October.

h2ev | 19. März 2019

I concur, it wakes within a few seconds, and the car is definitely sleeping - I tested it just this morning, when the car is sleeping my dashcam is off. Details below.

At first I thought the fast wakeup may have to do with my disconnecting the wifi (troubleshooting the car not going to sleep from my recent aftermarket dashcam install). I hardwired my dashcam by tapping into the 12V outlet under the armrest. The problem I'm having is the car only cuts power to that 12V outlet when the car goes to sleep. While the car is in my garage, it stays awake over random periods of time. Sometimes 5 minutes, another time >2hrs, causing my dashcam to record complete darkness while in the garage and overwriting possibly useful video footage. Couple of things I noticed after disabling the wifi is one, the car goes to sleep within 5 minutes, and two the car wakes much faster from sleep. Apparently the fast wakeup is due to the 2019.5.15 update.

dwakelee | 19. März 2019

There are a multitude of things that will keep the car awake. FYI, the 12V accessory outlet is not a reliable indication - just because it is off does not mean the car is in sleep nor deep sleep. You need something like TeslaFi, Stats, or API to know for sure. And if it is awake, connect will be ultra fast.

But 5.15 does appear a bit faster to connect - when the car is truly asleep.

h2ev | 19. März 2019

@dwakelee, I don't know how many sleep states there are in the car, but based on what I'm seeing with the 12V circuit, it is in some form of sleep state when it cuts power to the 12V circuit. There's also an electrical humming sound of sorts when the car is awake. When the humming stops is another indication of the car entering some sleep state and is also when it cuts power to the 12V and my dashcam shuts down.

dwakelee | 19. März 2019

Yes, there are a lot of devices in the car that are power-moded at various times - like the whirring sound and accessory outlet that you mention. But the lack of those being on does not mean the car is asleep - from a remote communication standpoint. That status can only be checked with a utility which uses the Tesla API (such as TeslaFi, Stats, etc), which is the same method that the phone app uses.

h2ev | 19. März 2019

Do those apps you mention connect to the car without waking it? If so I will definitely give one of them a try. Thanks.

Since hardwiring my dashcam I avoid opening the Tesla app since doing so will wake the car and turn on my dashcam.

dwakelee | 19. März 2019

Regarding sleep, TeslaFi can do a bunch of things. It can check if asleep (without waking). It can also show you how often the car sleeps. Conversely, it can also force the car to be awake. Lots of other things it does as well.

I've not used Stats, but I believe it has similar capabilities.

Kahn | 20. März 2019

Mine will.not wake up with this fw once it deep sleep. I have made a service apt. 5 times this week alone it would not wake up without physically unlocking it.