Forums

Air Vent Making a Cracking/Clicking Noise

Air Vent Making a Cracking/Clicking Noise

Lately I’ve noticed my air vents have been making a cracking or clicking noise when I startup the car. The noise lasts anywhere from 2-5 minutes usually and goes away later. I’ve seen others post videos of this issue but not sure if they got the issue fixed. My wife’s model 3 does not make these noises. Just curious if anyone else has experienced this and what caused it.

tsengw | 17. Mai 2019

I have the identical problem. Took to service, they couldn’t reproduce it. But it keeps happening. Pls let me know if you have any solutions. Thank you.

vvnguyen1981 | 17. Mai 2019

So I recently purchased an SR and I notice it happening as well. We also for a Dual Motor LR we bought two months ago that doesn't have that noise....

CharleyBC | 17. Mai 2019

I have not had this in my Tesla, but your description reminds me of other cars in the past. Something would get in the ventilation system and lodge near the fan, so that when the fan was spinning, it’d be clicking along on the object, which might be a leaf or twig. Could it be something like that? And even if it’s not plant matter, maybe some ill-fitting part of the duct by the fan?

bcb2220 | 20. Mai 2019

do you have videos to share @andrewsjra

andrewsjra | 20. Mai 2019

I took some but it was hard to hear with street noise. I found a video demonstrating the same noise: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/teslamotors/comments/9rojp...

Atoms | 20. Mai 2019

Yes, this is due to slippage of two plastic pieces which give way due to thermal contraction of cold AC air shrinking internal dash pieces. I need to take mine in. Very easy to reproduce. Make sure it is in the hot sun for several hours and then get in and set the AC to 65F. This should make it crack every time. Tesla clearly needed some tyvec washers between pieces making up the dash. Young engineers designed it without accounting for expected expansion and contraction with heating and cooling. Another piece designed by very capable but inexperienced engineers.

andrewsjra | 20. Mai 2019

Maybe I can tell them to replace the dash with a white one :)
I have mine wrapped in carbon fiber but the white looks clean.

Jlomb436 | 21. Mai 2019

Has anyone had a response from a service center on this? I took mine in Oct and in Dec and they basically said they're waiting for a replacement part.