Forums

RHD Model 3 waiting room - orders open... but where is LR and white interior? (Day 1160)

RHD Model 3 waiting room - orders open... but where is LR and white interior? (Day 1160)

This is the waiting room for those of us at the end of the Tesla queue - yep, Right Hand Drive Model 3!

Current Tesla RHD markets with stores are UK, Ireland, Japan, Hong Kong, Macau, Australia and New Zealand. Collectively those markets represent 9.1% of Tesla's global population reach so while we're relatively small we are thankfully not ignored.

After waiting more than 3 years, the RHD Model 3 has entered production! Orders opened in the UK on 1 May and Australia, NZ, Japan and Hong Kong on 31 May. The first RHD deliveries are expected to occur in late June or July.

The guessing competition to predict the date on which you think the first RHD Model 3 will be delivered to a retail customer (i.e. non-Tesla-employee) has closed. The winner will receive a warm glow from being right!

The rules were:
1. One entry per person. It must be a date in dd/mm/yy format.
2. You cannot nominate a date that someone else has already guessed, or a date in the past.
3. The winner is “nearest the pin”. If two guesses are equidistant from the right date, the honour will be shared.
4. The winning date will be the date on which the first RHD Model 3 is delivered to a customer, in the timezone in which that delivery is made.
5. No correspondence will be entered into. Like mntlvr23, I make the rules up, I am a law unto myself. I can giveth, I can taketh away.

THE 12 ENTRIES:

Knocked out
———————————
31/03/19 - Ross1 (even more optimistic than greg)

Still in the game
—————————————————
30/06/19 - greg (former holder of the optimism stick) - CURRENT HOLDER OF THE STICK
07/07/19 - noleaf4me (going for the other unambiguous date)
15/07/19 - priit (entered before the Musk tweet and might nail it)
31/07/19 - gordon.segar (the 40 month wait)
08/08/19 - M3BlueGeorgia (the first LHD market contestant, and unambiguous date to boot)
17/08/19 - bj (only because this is 1234 days)
30/08/19 - johnmann (adding to the date jam)
31/08/19 - virgored (hemming in jdanielp_uk from one side)
01/09/19 - jdanielp_uk (doing the climate dance)
02/09/19 - tas (hemming in jdanielp_uk from the other)
23/09/19 - Furry Mark (the Musk will Deliver in Time but only Just option)

But where are the non-Performance LR versions and white interior?

bj | 02. April 2019

I've resurrected this thread after its mysterious deletion... unfortunately the posting history is lost, but all the competition entries remain intact which is the important thing!

And sorry @Ross1, I didn't get my Model 3 on Sunday, so the clock is ticking on your entry. You will win outright if the first RHD Model 3 is delivered on or before 15th May. Good luck with that :)

Ross1 | 02. April 2019

Only if no one else takes that slot?

virgored | 02. April 2019

31/0819

Furry Mark | 02. April 2019

23/09/19 - the last day of summer 2019 here in the UK

greg | 02. April 2019

Sorry Vigored and Furry Mark think the competition closed on 1 April.

So @Ross1 you are the "current holder of the stick" until 15 May when it passes to me, until 4th of July.
\When @noleaf4me takes over.

@bj Mr Googles wayback machine might have posts up to the last part of March if you want to resurrect/summarise.

However, the post header has the gist of what went on leading to the above predictions so that's what counts.

bj | 02. April 2019

Since the original thread disappeared into a black hole on Sunday, denying last-minute entries, I’ll invoke Clause (5) of the rules, and re-open the competition up until the RHD configurator first opens anywhere in the world (i.e. the last entry accepted will be the last one posted here with a time stamp one day prior to that).

So the competition might be open for a week or two more... or longer :) let’s wait and see!

Ross1 | 03. April 2019

Does that mean you are undermining me?

bj | 03. April 2019

@Ross1 - not you personally, no, but the thing with this kind of competition is that the early entrants get their choice of date - the field is wide open and they can choose pretty much any date they like the look of. The flip side is that later entrants can box someone in to reduce their chances - or even knock them out.

In the end, if someone nails the date, they win, no matter when they entered.

Anyway, with only 9 entries lodged over a five month period, it’s not exactly the most popular thread here. I figured the more entries the merrier...

bj | 03. April 2019

Oh yeah, and in case anyone gets ideas, you can’t nominate a date in the past. Addendum to rule 2.

gordon.segar | 04. April 2019

I’m going to pick 31/07/19 as it’s a nice round 40 months from when reservations opened

greg | 07. April 2019

Well as I understand it, unless the UK politicians can somehow, pull of an even more impossible ask than anything Elon has ever done, and get their collective shit together to get an extension.

Then Brexit as it stands will have to happen this Friday 12 of April.

So what happens if both the configurator and the Brexit happen on the exact same day? Will the two forces combine in a colossal struggle for dominance, each trying to best the other [like Tories and the rest of the UK parliamentarians],
and yet annihilate simply each other in a huge explosion so that all those UK folks find that their Model 3 reservations and the entire UK system of law and order disappears into a cloud of greasy black smoke.

And if that did happen, what would we care about more?

RHD reservation of course. No one will miss the UK or give a shit about them once Brexit happens.

All we will do is breath a huge sigh of relief that at least someone took care of that rotting carcass of a country and finally put it out of its misery [ort thank god they saw sense and decided to stay in the EU].

All the while we happily configure our RHD cars, knowing that the world will truly be a better place when WE get our cars.

greg | 07. April 2019

You will have heard about the recent arrangement between FCA in Europe and Tesla to combine sales of both vehicles in to a "pool" as allowed by EU regulations.

This in effect means Tesla can sell ZEV credits to FCA for all its European models. We don't know the exact shape of those credits i.e. does it work on a add up all emissions of all vehicles and divide by number to get average. Or is it more subtle/nuanced than that and goes off the battery size and such. My guess its "bums on seats" - and cars count not batteries in them for these ZEV credits. But time will tell. If it is just bums on seats, then Tesla makes more money to more cars it ships in Europe - whether SR+ models, or P3Ds so they may attempt to go for quantity over ASP. Who knows at this point.

IF *and this is a big IF* and only IF - the UK remains in the EU, then all sales of RHD vehicles will also allow Tesla to participate in using RHD deliveries in the UK as part of the same scheme.

The relevance to RHD deliveries means that Tesla will suddenly have a larger pool of cars to claim ZEV credits for as RHD vehicles in the UK now qualify - for now anyway.

This may mean, that Tesla opens up reservations for UK reservation holders much earlier than planned. Although, Musk was probably aware of this arrangement when he gave previous delivery estimates. It remains to be seen if UK RHD deliveries will accelerate.

I'd say now, that if the UK looks like it will remain in the EU beyond May 22nd (last date permissible before the EU has said to the UK you have to agree to have MEP elections - or you have push off - by law). Then the UK RHD reservations may open up, or if already opened up, may find their VINs are suddenly allocated and cars on on their way.

Right now, I'd suggest to all competition entry holders - "hold all tickets" - while the Stewards Enquiry is underway.

And while I guessed that Hong Kong or Japanese folks might get the first RHD eelivery, I'm swinging to maybe the UK being first, or a close second - at least for the initial deliveries.

bj | 07. April 2019

@greg - Interesting speculation... but time will tell, and we are not far away from finding out.

I think if UK orders were opened up already (and “cars on their way”) we would have heard about it! I think UK was the first RHD market for Model X, ahead of Japan and Hong Kong, and about 2 weeks ahead of AUS, so it would not surprise me if similar happened for Model 3.

tas | 08. April 2019

02/09/19

Ross1 | 11. April 2019
bj | 11. April 2019

That is old news @Ross1 - that Model 3 was the one spotted on 26 March. CleanTechnica asleep at the wheel :)

greg | 13. April 2019

Its the 13th of April and Brexit didn't happen yet, not sure anymore exactly when it will happen [and don't to be honest I don't give a fuck either - just get on with it guys whatever the decision is].

The Brexit dates keep getting changed to something between 22 May and 30 October 2019 and the end of never depending on whether there is a "plan" from the UK or not, a new Tory leader is likely to be elected or not, an election is called or not, there is a referendum or not, or the current month, or current season, in English, has one or more of the letters r,a or u in it.

So, I think its pretty certain, RHD configurations will open sooner than Brexit.

bj | 13. April 2019

In an article about electric cars in the Sydney Morning Herald yesterday, it was mentioned that “Tesla’s next offering, the Model 3, is available from July.”

It’s the first time I have seen a specific month nominated for deliveries! The Configurator would need to open in early May (at the latest) for this to be possible, assuming 2 weeks min to manufacture and 4-6 weeks to ship.

greg | 13. April 2019

@bj
I'm hoping that RHD configs will open before end of April, so we can choose to lock in the low price for FSD before the price hike we all know is coming for FSD. Because right now watching all this happening is like watching the tide come in but not being able to move off the beach to stay dry.

As long as I can configure my car with FSD [before the price rises], I won't mind if it takes month more than usual to deliver.

However, available in AUS in July, might well mean I win depending on when in July the first one is delivered.

bj | 16. April 2019

1111 is worthy of a bump.

bj | 17. April 2019

I don’t know how I missed this gem, but on 13 April Elon Musk tweeted that “RHD order page should be live within a few weeks. Deliveries start hopefully June/July.”

So there you have it, July it is.

greg | 17. April 2019

Hmm, interesting @bj.

So if the order page goes live 1 May (just our luck it does to correspond with the FSD price hike!), allow 2-4 weeks for build. Another 4 min for for shipping to wherever, yeah mid June to mid July come into focus as likely initial delivery timeframes.

Need to put some thought into my config. Particularly The paint colour. Tossing up between Pearl White and Multi-coat Red, then which model (LR of course), but so many choices. Not going to not have FSD though.

I. Feel. That. The. Future. Is. Arriving. Much. Too. Fast. I. Am. Not. Fully. Prepared. For. It.

I. Think. I. May. Have. A. Case. Of. Imminent. "Tesla. In. Your. Future." Shock.

Also so many competitions you could run - some spring to mind:

When the order page opens up first. When first VIN is allocated to a RHD line waiter, what country the first delivery is actually made to.
[as side comps. to the what date when the first delivery is made].

bj | 17. April 2019

I hear you greg - it’s weird that we’ve been waiting so long... and very soon we will need to configure!! How can I not be ready after 3 years?! But like you, in an odd way, I feel not ready!

I’m bummed that LR RWD is now “off menu” because there is no guarantee that choice will be provided to RHD markets. Tesla are clearly wanting to streamline their production, so within the smaller RHD pool there’s probably even less interest in offering customers more than the 3 variants they appear to have settled on. But I will still ask.

Colour... still haven’t decided. Definitely not black, almost certainly not red. Our Nissan LEAF is blue, so we probably won’t go with another blue car. So that leaves pearl white and midnight silver metallic. I will go with the white interior, so I may go with pearl white although in the past I think white cars look boring. MSM looks a little dark for my liking - maybe if I saw one in the flesh I might change my mind.

Country of first delivery is tricky - I think it will be Japan or New Zealand, as the closest RHD markets to California. The boat trip to UK is more indirect. But there’ll only be a few days in it I reckon, not weeks.

Ross1 | 19. April 2019

@
bj | April 17, 2019

I don’t know how I missed this gem, but on 13 April Elon Musk tweeted that “RHD order page should be live within a few weeks. Deliveries start hopefully June/July.”

So there you have it, July it is.
July? August/September. There you have it :)

greg | 24. April 2019

Today in the Q1 financial update audio call, Musk mentioned upcoming RHD deliveries and volumes.

You can find the webcast on ir.tesla.com under "Events and presentations" where the Q1 newsletter/update is found, and a copy of the audio conference call when they post it. If you want to do your own research.

He indicated they expect quite significant demand to be coming from RHD countries.

Musk also made a comment (missed by most in the call I'd bet) when asked if they can "sell" [meaning deliver] 100K cars in Q2.

He said in response that "they [have so much demand, that Tesla] could sell 400K cars".
[and other comments make the point that the demand is for LR vehicles or SR+ vehicles/range].

This maybe a "Demand cliff" - maybe - but one that rises up ahead of you, not one going down under you!

Also he said on FSD [not that many of you probably care] that there will be no benefit to upgrading existing FSD computers in the car with the new ones now being placed in all cars now, until 2 months or more away as the feature set in FSD won't significantly diverge from the version "2" feature set before then.

So it will be a race between getting your RHD Model 3 and the new FSD features I think. Not that that matters.
As even if FSD updates ships late, you'll get it via OTA anyway.

johnmann | 24. April 2019

August 30 2019

mrburke | 24. April 2019

Years back, Sweden switch from driving on the left side of the road, to driving on the right (correct) side of the road.

link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dagen_H

Maybe, just maybe if the rest of the countries that currently drive on the wrong side of the road switched, this would no longer be an issue.

greg | 25. April 2019

@mrburke
Its not all one way switching.

Western Samoa switched from "LHD" to "RHD" mode about 10 years ago now in 2009.
The reason for that was that meant they could access cheaper (used) RHD cars from Australia, NZ and Japan that way.

Previously they drove on the same side as the US. Because American Samoa is its closest neighbour, and it was and remains a LHD country (and they therefore get their vehicles from the US). So the idea was that Western Samoa could get cheap American cars/trucks and buses too (via American Samoa). But that didn't work out for them long term.

The weird thing was though, that they couldn't afford to replace all the old "LHD" buses with "RHD" ones, when they switched side.

So for a while [and maybe even now still] LHD buses were still being used in Western Samoa, which of course has the passenger doors on the "wrong side" for safe boarding/alighting from the road side. and passengers ended up getting on.off the buses from the middle of the road. Or LHD buses had to pull onto the other side of the road to let people on/off. Which is pretty dangerous.

Anyway the chance of the rest of the RHD world switching to LHD is about the same as the 110 volt 60 Hertz AC power countries switching to 240 Volt 50 Hertz AC.

Like zero.

Of course, once the world goes Tesla Robo Taxi then cars won't have steering wheels or pedals and the software will handle the which side do I drive on issue automatically.

bj | 25. April 2019

Thanks @greg - the relevant bit from the earnings call was this: “We also have just a lot of markets where we haven't yet tapped into demand, especially for Model 3. So we will be releasing the right-hand drive Model 3 and expect to see significant demand in right-hand drive countries. Overall, I feel really good about where things are headed”

As to FSD, yeah, don’t really care, can’t see myself going for it until I’m 90 and no longer able to drive myself. By then it should be perfected :)

bj | 25. April 2019

@mrburke - “Maybe, just maybe if the rest of the countries that currently drive on the wrong side of the road switched, this would no longer be an issue.”

A lot of RHD countries are islands (UK, Ireland, Japan, Australia, New Zealand) so with no land borders with LHD countries, there is not the same incentive or need to switch sides. Or simply too big to change (India!).

In any event, changing sides would be incredibly expensive for any country with well developed road systems with extensive road signs and markings, freeways, traffic lights etc - and for what benefit? Imagine spending all that money on changing infrastructure, only for full autonomous driving to become a thing and there’s no longer LHD or RHD vehicles, and driving on the right is merely a software update!

mrburke | 25. April 2019

My comment was meant to be somewhat sarcastic.
But the market for RHD cars is very small.
While I assume most of the extra cost to make an RHD car is priced in, some of it falls into general overhead that we all pay no matter what side the driver sits in.

Wormtown Kris | 25. April 2019

You guys are getting close! From Elon's twitter:
Elon Musk
‏Verified account
@elonmusk
7h
7 hours ago
More
UK Model 3 order page goes live next week, followed shortly thereafter by Japan, Australia, New Zealand & Hong Kong

Hang in there!

greg | 26. April 2019

@burke
**You **may think the market for RHD cars is small. Musk clearly doesn't as he said exactly that during the Q1 earnings call.

In fact 10% of the **countries** in the world are RHD, including one of the most populous on the planet - India,
Which alone is the same size of bigger than China in terms of population.

So Musk isn't stupid he knows longer term by making RHD cars if no other manufacturer bothers, he will end up owning a fair chunk of the high end EV market in India.

And while you may think everyone in India is poor and starving, little able to buy a bicycle let alone a car.

Thats not the case, it has a large middle class ready, willing and able to buy expensive automobiles.

And in any case, Tesla designed the Model 3 for ease of "handedness" production. So RHD and LHD cars are all the same but for the dashboard and pedals.

Everything else is a software setting.

greg | 26. April 2019

@Wormtown Kris
Interesting indeed.

Likely we will all go live for orders on or after 1 May [Wednesday next week] - when FSD increases in price.

So the competition will be closing soon.
Last orders everybody!

bj | 26. April 2019

@Wormtown Kris - Super exciting news! Thanks for sharing it. It’s hard to believe it’s so close now!

Musk tweeted a little later that the Configurator would open in the UK on 1st or 2nd May.

So I am exercising my unilateral powers and declaring that the competition will close on 30 April as timestamped here!

Wormtown Kris | 26. April 2019

@greg: Musk also extended the FSD deadline to May 10, so you have more reason for optimism:
Elon Musk
‏Verified account
@elonmusk
16h
16 hours ago
More
We will delay $1k full self-driving option price increase until May 10 for those unable to order by May 1

bj | 30. April 2019

While it’s already 1 May where I am :) you still have until an attosecond before midnight California time to enter my comp. As long as the entry here has a date stamp of “April 30, 2019” then you’re in!

So... will the Configurator open in the UK today? Will all options be offered or only LR AWD and LR Performance? Will SR and LR RWD be available “off the menu”? Will invitations only be sent to current Telsa owners initially? Or will it be open to all-comers, and a reservation no longer means anything?

We need all UK reservers to report back here as soon as orders open!!

greg | 30. April 2019

Hey @bj

Seems we are getting pretty close to the hammer time to finally configure.

Is there some way we mutually make use each others referral codes when we configure/order to get that additional 4000 miles of free Supercharging each?

As I read it both the referrer and the person using the refers code get 5,000 miles each [up from 1,000 miles each] currently - if they order [configure] before end May?

I know they will only "last" be usable for 6 months unless you make further referrals, but I could sure find a lot of ways to use up that free "fuel" in 6 months. And I am sure all of you RHD waiters out there can too.

So, any interest in pairing up our referral codes?

[That is - person A uses person B's code when they configure and B uses As code when they configure].
End result both parties get free SC miles. There is of course some degree of trust required but little to lose if they don't over the default option of not using your referral code].

Otherwise we're just leaving our money on the table. And would be a great way to kick off each of our "loot boxes" or whatever it is now.

BTW: This assumes you all have referral codes - i have had one for a while. I assume it s till valid.

bj | 30. April 2019

I don’t have a referral code - I thought you need to be an existing Tesla owner to have one. A Tesla owner has offered their code to me when I configure :)

greg | 30. April 2019

Maybe I can self-refer then? [as others have done previously when they got their second car].

Not sure why I have a Referral code, it appeared a while back, but assumed [like opinions] that everyone else had one as well here in RHD land.

Oh well, if someone else in RHD land has a referral code and wants to share with me when they configure let me know in the comments.

Maybe I should see if I can get forum thread creation privileges as "an owner" - which I see @bj you obviously have.

bj | 30. April 2019

Yeah, I emailed forums@tesla.com and they gave me posting privileges, no questions asked! They set the bar pretty low :)

greg | 30. April 2019

@bj
Ah, maybe the old Groucho Marx thing applies:

"Wouldn't want to be a member of any club that would have me as a member!"

greg | 01. Mai 2019

I think the comp is now closed as its 1 May in California now. [and 8am in the UK on the 1st of May].

So I hope no one has wedged themselves between myself and Ross1's predictions,

And if not then I am now officially counting down the days until I am the holder of the stick from the 16th of May.

Given no RHD VINs have been recorded yet in the list of VIN blocks registered by Tesla, its probably going to a little while before any RHDs are made, let a lone delivered.

Of course, no one has yet configured their RHD Model 3, and when that does open up I hope the full details are able to be posted here in terms of models available and prices (in UK pounds) for them.

mattfog | 01. Mai 2019

Order page now open in the UK. However, cannot seem to use referral codes??

greg | 01. Mai 2019

Might have to email Tesla afterwards like the EU folks did when they opened up earlier this year as I recall.
There was a specific email address to use for that which escapes me. But a search will turn it up I am sure.

mattfog | 01. Mai 2019

Thanks @greg. On the phone to Tesla now to check

greg | 01. Mai 2019

The one used for EU orders was buildmy3EMEA@tesla.com

But maybe they have a specific one for UK and/or RHD orders?

greg | 01. Mai 2019

@BJ just checked the UK order page out, yes SR+, LR and Performance are there. But dual motor only.

Prices for base models (in black etc):

SR+ - Rear-Wheel Drive Partial Premium Interior Standard Range Plus £38,050

LR - Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive Premium Interior Long Range £47,050

Performance - Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive Premium Interior Performance £56,050

greg | 01. Mai 2019

And Delivery for those is all stated to be estimated for "June"

But we know what those estimated timeframes are like - flexible as hell.

mattfog | 01. Mai 2019

Confirmed: tbuildmy3EMEA@tesla.com can be used for UK customers to provide referral code after ordering. Tesla are aware and are working on a fix for the referral site.

Pages