Forums

Navigation to work question

Navigation to work question

Are you supposed to get an alert and an alternate route automatically if you have home and work set up in advance if there is traffic on your normal route? I could have sworn that over a year ago that would happen automatically. No one at the service center had much knowledge about this.

EVRider | 07. Mai 2019

The manual says this: "Once a Home or Work location is saved, Model S may prompt you to navigate to your
Work location in the mornings and to your Home location in the evenings and tell you how long it will take to arrive based on current traffic conditions."

Is that what you meant?

reed_lewis | 07. Mai 2019

It used to do this before, but it does not any more. I miss that.

TranzNDance | 07. Mai 2019

I don't get alerts. Did you know that you can swipe the Nav bar and it would navigate you to work if you are leaving from home? I do that to see the suggested path, which would be adjusted if there is traffic.

dowopdave | 07. Mai 2019

@evrider A long time ago I would get in the car in the morning and a message would just appear asking me if I'd like to save some minutes on my route to work and offer a slightly different set of directions. This hasn't happened in over a year.

SoCal Buzz | 07. Mai 2019

The only relevant, current setting I know of is defining # of minutes saved required for Nav re-rerouting (found by pressing cog wheel in Nav).

EVRider | 07. Mai 2019

@dowopdave: Based on the manual excerpt I posted above, I guess if the car thinks you're going to work it will offer to navigate there and give you the best route. Maybe that went away when they upgraded to the new navigation system last summer.

The manual is still a bit out of date, at least the PDF version is (I never look at the one in the car). The last PDF was published in December.

Yodrak. | 07. Mai 2019

"The manual is still a bit out of date"

I've noticed that - pisses me off.

Going off on a tangent, I wish that navigate would learn my preferred route rather than insist that I take the theoretically fastest route. I take a straight county highway to and from work that parallels the wandering, congested, interstate. It's a few miles shorter and a few minutes longer (except for the 2-3 days a week when there's an accident on the interstate), and so much less stressful.

barrykmd | 07. Mai 2019

reed_lewis | May 7, 2019
It used to do this before, but it does not any more. I miss that.

That's a great tag line for the new Tesla.

EVRider | 08. Mai 2019

@Yodrak: Why do you need to use navigation for your preferred route? I don’t see the use case for navigation “learning” a different route that you already know. The only exception would be when using Navigate on Autopilot, but it doesn’t seem you could use that on your preferred route.

Yodrak. | 08. Mai 2019

"The only exception would be when using Navigate on Autopilot,"

That's exactly it. Maybe my route to work was not the best example to use, but many routes to my frequent destinations are not what the Navigate function chooses and they would benefit from NOA.

EVRider | 09. Mai 2019

@Yodrak: Maybe someday we’ll be able to send a route to the nav system from another device, rather than just sending a destination, which will solve that problem. On the other hand, as Navigate on Autopilot evolves into FSD, it’s less likely you’ll be able to pick the route, since the car knows better. :-)

p.c.mcavoy | 14. Mai 2019

@dowopdave - The current manual still has the comment that the Model S may prompt you to navigate to your Work locations in the morning and to your Home location in the evening. I agree that I have not seen the behavior any time recently.

One question is how regular is your commuting pattern in terms of timing and do you always manually set your destination in the morning to your work location? My memory is that the feature, somewhat like smart preconditioning, needed to learn by seeing you navigating to your saved Work location consistently for some number of days. Once it did that, then it would start to give you the automatic pop-up. I have no insight into how closely the timing must be every day or how many days in a row you need to establish the learned pattern.

Bighorn | 14. Mai 2019

@EVRider
Isn’t that already a thing, sending route from another program? I’ve never found the need, but others have mentioned it.

EVRider | 14. Mai 2019

@Bighorn: You can a destination from an other program, but not a route (unless something has changed recently). People would like to be able to do the latter, partly as a workaround for the lack of waypoints.

EVRider | 14. Mai 2019

You can send...

Bighorn | 14. Mai 2019

@EVRider
If that’s all it allows, hardly seems worth the effort.

EVRider | 14. Mai 2019

@Bighorn: Probably why I've never used that feature. :-)

TranzNDance | 14. Mai 2019

Sending destination is helpful when looking up things on the phone ahead of time so that the navigation is ready to go instead of entering things on the car's nav screen