Forums

Nightmare sales order process for model 3

Nightmare sales order process for model 3

I ordered a model 3 in Italy March 15,2019. I am already a proud owner of a Model X for over a year. The order process went ok, some issues but now it has entered the twilight zone. In Italy government passed a law that allows me to get 4,000€ instantly off the car for an electric car and 2000€ additional if I bring a qualified ICE car for trade in which I have.

The model 3 arrived at The Tesla office about a week later and is sitting there in the parking lot waiting for me to pay. Tesla has been unable to provide a valid invoice so I can pay for the car. They put the 4000€ rebate but is unable to put the line item for the trade in of 2000€. The story of why has been changing and the latest is that their IT system does not allows them to enter the trade in and they are waiting for the US corporate office to update the system. No date for this Gad been given. In the meantime I get calls telling me that they understand if I cancel the order.

I have had many calls and in person discussions with the local Tesla office in Italy and they just blame others with no timeline for resolution.

I find it very strange the whole issue and the lack of sales and customer management which has me losing my faith on Tesla and its mission which I have been an ardent supporter.

I have sent messages in various ways (social, email, even LinkedIn) directly to executives and no answer.

Any ideas, I don’t want to chance the order and while I could forget about the 2000€ I don’t understand why I should.

Anyway has any contact or suggestions to get attention to my predicament. Never had so much trouble giving a company 50,000 euros.

Thanks

G

jjgunn | 17. Mai 2019

Where do you deliver the ICE car? Can't they take it & give you the 2,000€ ??

Seems like an easy solution but I don't know Italian law/process

Loved visiting Italy!

Magic 8 Ball | 17. Mai 2019

Tweet Elon

gchain67 | 17. Mai 2019

In italy, there are companies that specialize on taking the cars and junking them. The government passed this law to get ICE cars out of the market. The law not only gives 4000 euros for buying an electric car and 2000 additional if you bring a qualified icE car to be junked but also they put a tax on ICE cars based on level of CO2 they emit. I think it is terrific, but Tesla is completely incompetent to take advantage of it and it seems some of us are caught on this problem were Tesla cant or doesnt want to follow the law for trade ins. My suspicion is that it may cost them some small amount to bring the car to one of these companies to junk the car and they dont want to do it. They are not saying this, however and just blaming the inability to create the invoice and the credit on an IT issue that has unknown resolution date.

I already tweeted Elon many times. No answer. Also tweeted @tesla and sent messages to key executives.

Thanks,

Gonzalo

So you are sharing suspicion and speculation and accusing TESLA of being completely incompetent. Are you trying to get me to swear at you?

lbowroom | 17. Mai 2019

Sounds like more of a temporary glitch than a nightmare

casun | 17. Mai 2019

sounds like you need to wait a bit longer.

gchain67 | 17. Mai 2019

Oh, there there are the religious cult zealots. One can be a fervent supporter of Tesla and still point when they are not doing something right. Tesla has a lot to learn at customer management. But I am sure some of you will come back swinging as to how I am wrong and Tesla is perfect in every way.

BTW I have a reservation for a model 3 since March 31, 2016 and have purchased a Model X as well as I am long on Tesla stock. thanks for all the constructive comments.

Tesla P | 17. Mai 2019

@gchain67, based on my own ordering experience, I find it easier to cancel and re-order than to deal with the first level customer support persons at Tesla. I also got nowhere with them in changing my order after it was ordered. I quickly re-ordered and got my Tesla delivered to me before the refund from my first order came thru. It appears your case is unique and cancel/reorder may not help since the system has yet to catch up with the latest policy. Don't give up! You will love your new Model3. Try to see if your local dealer person can get to some higher level persons in Tesla headquarter. See if they will let you take deliver and compensate you for the 2000 Euro later.

@gchain67 Let's try and have this conversation. Are you also long on your SO? Do you have it out with them in public or do you take it behind closed doors?

gchain67 | 18. Mai 2019

One can have a conversation behind close doors as I did many times locally to try to understand the problem and get a time frame for a resolution. When there are no responses for weeks then the choices become limited.

Sometimes, when there is bad customer management and communication it takes public discussion to induce change. So, the insinuation that there was no attempt to understand and work the issue in private is incorrect. I would expect Tesla, at a minimum, to explain the issue (not change the story continuously) and of updating customers affected as to the progress of a resolution. That is what company with good customer focus methodology would do and Tesla needs to improve on that. Have I abandoned them? Far from it. I could have cancelled the model 3 order a long time ago (as many did) and buy a different car. I didn't and when the Model 3 was taking longer to be released than initially indicated, I went and bought a model X instead and continue waiting for the model 3. Is that not commitment? Today, I read of the tight belting that they need to do, presumably because they will miss Q2 expectations. On the other hand and I highlighting issues in one country at least that have willing buyers waiting to pay and get delivery of cars sitting in Tesla offices but can't because Tesla cannot produce valid invoices and they don't even communicate time frames for resolution.

Finally, and this is the last I will comment on this thread, @Magi 8 Ball, you can be sanctimonious with your comments without knowing what you are talking about or try to be constructive and help Tesla become a better company. Not highlighting issues when they are very egregious (and yes, in public if warranted) is not the way to help them improve.

FISHEV | 18. Mai 2019

From an owners standpoint (and Tesla's also) better to hear the problems so we know they exist, know how to fix them or know how to work around them and are not surprised by them. The fan-boi vigilantes are an unfortunate fact of life of the online forums from mfg's support forums to Reddits forums.

lbowroom | 18. Mai 2019

Are we sure that Italian government sponsored subsidies run smoothly and are easy to navigate?

Magic 8 Ball | 18. Mai 2019

@gchain So I take it you have it out with your SO in public.

Why do people who are frustrated, and claim to be supportive, go with scorched earth to express their frustrations?

sheldon.mike1010 | 18. Mai 2019

Why do easily triggered fanboy bullies bring up SO’s to belabor their points?

Well, an SO is a good analogy to being in bed with TESLA, that's why.

Burn the bridges and be done with it or find a way to fix it without making accusations of incompetence in their own house.

Another thing, since I have an itchy trigger finger, I consider coming into TESLA's house and calling them incompetent the action of a bully.

sheldon.mike1010 | 18. Mai 2019

That attitude will earn you another penalty box invite from Tesla.

Speaking for TESLA are you?

ReD eXiLe ms us | 18. Mai 2019

Gonzalo: Responding in such a fasion when a person asks you to fill in apparently missing information can and will raise the ire and suspicion of Tesla Enthusiasts here. That appears to have been the intent. The insistence that someone should be allowed to express their 'concerns' or 'dissatisfaction' or 'dismay' when dealing with Tesla, without being detailed, precise, or thorough in their descriptions does not help anyone. I expect you are indeed sincere, but have inadvertently left out something important in your description of this happenstance. It's like that song that jumps from, "That'll really, really hurt you one day!" directly to "Here I am lying in the hospital, bandaged from feet to head..." Part of the story seems... purposely MISSING. Only you can tell us what it is. In this case, all we have to work with is...

"The model 3 arrived at The Tesla office about a week later and is sitting there in the parking lot waiting for me to pay."

"The story of why has been changing and the latest is that their IT system does not allows them to enter the trade in and they are waiting for the US corporate office to update the system."

"...Tesla is completely incompetent to take advantage of it and it seems some of us are caught on this problem were Tesla cant or doesnt want to follow the law for trade ins."

Forget 'why'. It doesn't matter. You don't need to know. Tesla won't tell you. Get over it.

Fact of the matter is, some issue has come up. Something that makes this transaction a lot less simple than you have expressed thus far. My guess is that there is probably some very specific provision of the government program you are speaking of that has not yet been met. That will hault the process, necessarily, so that no one who comes after you will have to deal with the dame issue. Sure, someone with 'Boots on the Ground' there in Italy might decide to make an 'Executive Decision' to proceed, only to find out later they have violated either company policy or the letter of the law. That could result in the company being fined, taking a loss, never being reimbursed, or an employee losing their job. All of those are BAD things. Be patient. Everything will work out in the end. If it hasn't worked out yet? You haven't reached the end. This is the essence of beauracracy. Hurry up and wait. Because the idea is that anything that makes life easier for consumers also makes life easier for criminals. That's just the way it goes.

FISHEV | 18. Mai 2019

@ReD eXiLe ms us “Responding in such a fasion when a person asks you to fill in apparently missing information can and will raise the ire and suspicion of Tesla Enthusiasts here.”

I thought this forum was for Tesla owners asking questions and getting answers. The F-boys can go F-themselves. No one should have to edit their comments to suit the arrogant and ignorant fan boys who think they own the Tesla forums.

Here’s an owner letting other owners know about possible issues when ordering in Italy. All good info that the fanboys should have no comment about. Hopefully Tesla keeps these “regulars” under control and doesn’t allow the Tesla forums to devolve to a fan boy site.

It is one thing to inform about issues it is another to jump to make accusations about TESLA being incompetent.

Neomaxizoomdweebie | 18. Mai 2019

I'm not saying the OP is fake but I am impressed with this Italian gentleman's command of the English language. Truly written like he lives in America. I wish I knew Italian half as well.

You read my mind I was thinking same when I read the posts, english is definitely better than mine.

christian | 18. Mai 2019

I see the wanna-be cult leaders are out in full force today.

Are you seriously questioning how people know English so well if they're not American? You do know that English is spoken all over the world, right? And you know that most people form other countries speak multiple languages, right? Just because you suck at Italian doesn't mean someone else can't be good at English. You guys are idiots and a blight on Tesla's supporters.

From my end I am sincerely admiring the OP's command of English, no suspicion of being fake.

You will note I did not go for the throat until the OP went with incompetent. I had no suspicion of the OP being fake or mistaking that using "incompetent" was meant to be an insult.

@christian,
Please note that I specifically said I'm not doubting the veracity of the OP. I am merely complimenting his command of the English language. Bravo!
I did take a peak at the Tesla Europe forum and did not see anything from gchain67. Methinks he'd have better luck finding more applicable Tesla enthusiasts experiences on that forum. What say you?

lbowroom | 18. Mai 2019

Do only Italians live in Italy?

Huge assumption on my part but I'm thinking that Gonzalo is Italian.

christian | 18. Mai 2019

Uh huh. Because you guys are all about complimenting people who have issues with Tesla...

You have trouble compartmentalizing.

christian | 19. Mai 2019

And you have trouble not being a dick.