Forums

30k suspension replacement - covered by warranty

30k suspension replacement - covered by warranty

About to hit 30 and my suspension gave out on the 3. Car was drivable, just had to deal with squeaking noise while waiting for an appointment within a week. I was shocked when I found out that my car was ready for pickup couple hours after dropping off. This is Tesla at Tyson in Northern VA. Both upper left and right control arms are replacement. Car completed with courtesy checked, allignment was performed due to suspension replacement. They also performed a special equipment sound test and fixed my windows due to wind noise detected.

I was a bit let down when I heard Tesla loaner was not available. They sent to Enterprise table within the service center. Turned out enterprise carries ton of Model S 75D. I also was worried that suspension would be on back order for months, boys am i wrong.

The service that was performed on my car is day and night different from a year ago where take a week to fix minor issues, tesla loaner was out, and had to drive a bmw (lol).

Thx to the Tesla team. Tough to find a positive story on place like this. Folks been complaining on forum with negative experiences. Any one on side line still debating anout Tesla but worried about service, here was my story. Tesla at Tyson is the bussiness on the east coast.

alexdarby | 18. Mai 2019

What symptoms were you seeing with your suspension? My drivers side front squeaks when going over bumps but it's been really difficult to reproduce.

RedTeslaModel3 | 18. Mai 2019

The car was squeaking really loud every time i hit a rough road, speed hump, or anything that cause the suspension the bounce. It wasnt a fainted sound as well, i was flagged down on 95 while moving in traffic when it was first happen by other drivers.

ST70 | 18. Mai 2019

Do you have the service receipt of what they said they replaced and any reason for the premature failure?

ReD eXiLe ms us | 18. Mai 2019

Excellent.

RedTeslaModel3 | 18. Mai 2019

Concern: Front suspension noise - Replace both upper control arms, per previous diagnosis.
Correction: Control Arm - Upper - Front - LH (Includes Alignment)
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity FR UPR CTRL ARM ASSY, LH(1044321-00-F) 1.0
Correction: Control Arm - Upper - Front - RH (Includes Alignment)
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity FR UPR CTRL ARM ASSY, RH(1044326-00-F) 1.0

rxlawdude | 18. Mai 2019

@Red, when was your M3 produced? I'm wondering if it had the "original" suspension, which got updated in cars made after Dec '17.

ST70 | 18. Mai 2019

Thanks RedTeslaModel3! - what vin (approx), specs- RWD, AWD, P3D+, P3D-, rim size, etc...if you don't mind...thanks!

alexdarby | 19. Mai 2019

I only hear the suspension noise when I'm going slow in a parking deck and going over humps or something or when I'm going over speed bumps or big-fish dips in the road. I couldn't reproduce it during the road test when dropping my car off at Tesla the last time to have them look at a couple things. It's there, I just can't convince them. My model 3 is VIN 13767 (April of last year is when I took delivery) and it's a RWD LR

RedTeslaModel3 | 19. Mai 2019

My vin is in the 8000 range, me and you are probably in the same batch. Keep an eye on it. Mine started out like that, suspension gotten worst on trip back from 2 hrs trip where i was driving at 75-79 range.

andrewsjra | 19. Mai 2019

I never hear squeaks but my right rear suspension makes a strange noise that usually occurs when making right turns into a parking lot driveway. Can’t explain how it sounds but felt it was the suspension.

jefjes | 19. Mai 2019

Good to see Tesla stands by their warranty and go beyond to make it right. I've purchased new and CPO cars and have yet to have any of them actually say anything that broke or quit working was a warrantied item. A CPO 2012 Leaf that I had to pay $450 for a wheel sensor replacement and over $3k for an inverter replacement. I asked them for a list of what is covered by the CPO warranty and they couldn't provide one. I did get a free shuttle ride home...lol. Glad there was enough charge left to make it there when the inverter went out or I would have had to have it towed there just to get fleeced.

ODWms | 19. Mai 2019

Wow. That sucks.

RedTeslaModel3 | 19. Mai 2019

Vin: 88xx, LR RWD, 18 inches
There is a really good chance that it has the original suspension that has already updated through couple iteration. The tech said this is the first time he seen something like this, a lot of model 3 suspension is the sway bar which mine didnt suffer from.

A winter from Northern VA would so all kind of things to your suspension as well. Tesla also reached out to me if I am interested in dropping my car off so that they can do further QA spot checks, this however is not related to suspension issue. I am very impress at the pace of service improvement since last April.

ModernTriDad | 19. Mai 2019

I see that it isn't just me with the driver/front squeak. We have 5 speed bumps where we live and I have to listen to it every time I leave/return home. It's happened since delivery at end of Nov. Mobile service came last week for a separate issue and I wanted to show him, then realized that it's only been when temp is under about 60F. I mentioned it but he had no recommendations and said he has heard others. It is a little annoying for a new car, but is limited to brief moments of my days so I have mostly ignored it.

alexdarby | 19. Mai 2019

I set an appointment for Memorial Day for Tesla service to have a number of things addressed and I put the suspension noise on the list again. I'm sure it'll just be blown off but we'll see. I'll try and remember to update once I get it back. My service center is in Charlotte, NC and they usually need it a couple days....and I'm usually put in an Infiniti (which feels HUGE compared to my 3)

alexdarby | 19. Mai 2019

I set an appointment for Memorial Day for Tesla service to have a number of things addressed and I put the suspension noise on the list again. I'm sure it'll just be blown off but we'll see. I'll try and remember to update once I get it back. My service center is in Charlotte, NC and they usually need it a couple days....and I'm usually put in an Infiniti (which feels HUGE compared to my 3)

andrewsjra | 19. Mai 2019

@alexdarby I would check with your SC to ensure they will be open. My wife booked an appointment at a local SC last MLK day online and when I took it up to be serviced they were closed. The funny thing is I saw a mobile service guy driving by looking perplexed. I tracked him down and he said he was stopping by to try to get a part for an appointment he had with someone. Since they were closed and he couldn’t get the part he needed, he decided to help me fix my wife’s car. While doing that another mobile guy came by thinking they were opened too. I’d double check by calling them.

alexdarby | 20. Mai 2019

@andrewsjra Good Point. I'll call today just to check!

Atoms | 20. Mai 2019

Really nice to hear great service also in other states. Yes, Tesla has moved to enterprise. I think this gave them better scalability but I would not be surprised if this changes back to 3s in a few years if not sooner. Especially if self driving would allow them to store the cars in an offsite lot and have them come just in time for customers.

alexdarby | 21. Mai 2019

So I got a text and email from Tesla today confirming the appointment for Memorial Day so I’ll update once I get it back

vmulla | 22. Mai 2019

I had it. My suspension control arms were replaced as well - some time in February

Here's one of the posts where I reported the problem:

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/suspension-creaking-when-going-ove...

vmulla | 22. Mai 2019

My VIN is 31XX and I first observed this around 25K miles. The replacement happened at ~33K, I'm now at 38K.