Forums

Using external hard drive Model 3 music and dash cam

Using external hard drive Model 3 music and dash cam

I was able to create two partitions on a 350 GB Toshiba USB 2 external hard drive and use one for music and one for video on my Model 3.

I used the Windows 10 Disk Management utility to create the partitions. Because Windows won't format big exFAT partitions, I used GUIFormat2 (a free utility) to format them. I then created the TeslaCam directory on the video partition and copied all my music to the music partition. It all worked quite nicely.

I recall some years back that external hard drives stopped working for music, but I see that it works now on the Model 3.

billlake2000 | 20. Mai 2019

Suh-weet sez me

The Blue Meanie | 20. Mai 2019

I was using an old school non SSD Seagate 250gb just to test. It actually worked so I was about to purchase an SSD, but most of them only handle 32deg F. I forgot what the high temp was, but where I'm at the temps get way colder and hotter than what the SSD specs state. I thought maybe the rugged ones had better temp handling but no dice.

roaddevil | 20. Mai 2019

Will not external hard driver consumes more energy? Also what is the write speed in comparison with USB 2 flash driver?

roaddevil | 20. Mai 2019

Correction drive

jball | 20. Mai 2019

I've got a 1TB SSD connected with the whole thing formatted for Dashcam / Sentry Mode. A bit overkill but works great.

EVRider | 20. Mai 2019

@kevin: Tesla says exFAT isn’t supported for either music or video, only FAT32. How did you get exFAT to work?

Passion2Fly | 20. Mai 2019

@EVRider
@Kevin used GUIFormat to format his partitions. This tool only supports FAT32...

Hal Fisher | 20. Mai 2019

Remember, whatever you use you’ll want a way to view the video on the spot. You won’t always have your laptop with you, and if you have an iphone you'll really need to have a special drive that maybe comes with an ios file viewer. At least this is the problem I’m grappling with. If someone knows how to make it easy for a usb view on an iphone please tell me.

Steven.Haver | 20. Mai 2019

@The Blue Meanie
Interesting point about temperature. I was more concerned with exceeding the peak power when I was looking at SSDs and didn’t really think about winter conditions.

There’s conflicting information for the Samsung T5, some sources report:
Operating 0°C to 60°C
Non-Operating -40°C to 85°C
But the manual recommends between 5°C and 35°C.

I guess we’ll find out next winter. Another good excuse to preheat the cabin.

@Hal
My hope/presumption is that it will eventually be easy to check the footage in the car.

hokiegir1 | 21. Mai 2019

There are some external hard drives with their own wifi connection. I haven't tried them, and with the new android app for viewing, it's no longer necessary for me, but might be an option for those of you with apple devices?

kaushal | 21. Mai 2019

I have been using a PNY 128GB USB 3.0 drive for more than a month without any problem.

Is there a way to create playlists on the USB drive?