Forums

How to set "Home" to a GPS location rather than a street address?

How to set "Home" to a GPS location rather than a street address?

I live in a remote location in the mountains. Searching for my "Street Address" in Tesla Navigation or Google Maps puts the pin somewhere on my property alright, but about 1/2 mile by bad roads from my actual home. It was just a curious nuisance before 2019.16.2, but now we have the option to automatically set Sentry Mode when not at Home. If I choose that option when parked in my garage, Sentry Mode remains enabled because Tesla Navigation thinks it's still 1/2 mile from my Home! So...

How can I set my "Home" location to the actual GPS location of my home?

r0yster.richardson | 22. Mai 2019

I just got mine today, but other GPS units will display the Latitude & Longitude to a very precise location. Then save that as the home location. IDK if that's a possible scenario on the Tesla software though. I will test it out.

EVRider | 22. Mai 2019

You can try dropping a pin on the map at your real home location, and making that a favorite. Even if you can’t make that your actual home location, you can navigate to it and I believe exclude it from Sentry Mode.

Standroid | 23. Mai 2019

Thanks for the suggestions, but no joy. I can place a pin on the anywhere map and save that as Home (or another Favorite) but the map interprets that pin as a street address - even if it is nowhere near any road. Then when I recall that Favorite the resulting location is a fresh, new interpretation of the saved address and that can be a long way away from the pin I originally placed!

EVRider | 23. Mai 2019

Guess you’ll have to move. :-)

Kary993 | 23. Mai 2019

Not sure why yours does not work as I can just say "Navigate home" and it takes me home. Also for Homelink you can set location where you want automatic gates or garage door opening and closing. I don't know if that Homelink location setup is at all related to navigation.

EVRider | 23. Mai 2019

@Kary993: The reason it doesn't work for the OP is because their home address is not the actual physical location of their home, and you can set the Home location by address. Chances are Homelink uses the actual GPS location when programming it, but if you to exclude your home location from Sentry Mode, it uses the address.

lbowroom | 23. Mai 2019

Kary - I assume it's because your home is a know address in the system

EVRider | 23. Mai 2019

... and you can ONLY set the Home location by address.

sky-pilot | 23. Mai 2019

Go to Google Earth, find your house, in the lower right corner of the screen it will give you the exact coordinates, long and lat of where ever your cursor is pointing.

derotam | 23. Mai 2019

I guess the Home location is different than the Work location then? I just moved my Work location using a pinpoint and it worked. It does convert it to an address but it leaves the pin in the same location as where I put it.

Maybe use the Work location for your house and the Home location for your work? haha

GHRTesla | 23. Mai 2019

If Tesla used What3words locations (as Mercedes-Benz do) there would be no problem

EVRider | 23. Mai 2019

@sky-pilot: The problem isn’t determining the GPS location, it’s using it in the car.

cmh95628 | 23. Mai 2019

This is an interesting one. I don't ever remember setting my home location, I think the car "figured it out" based on where I charge. Do you charge at home? If so, maybe remove the home location programming and see if the car "figures out where home is" on its own. Maybe that is GPS-based (speculation, I really don't know). Good luck!

Standroid | 24. Mai 2019

OK, @EVRider gets the prize for reading, understanding and clarifying the problem - thanks.

Moving right along, let's assume this is a software bug (feature?). What's the most effective way to bring this bug to the attention of those within Tesla who would be in a position to fix it?

rdavis | 24. Mai 2019

@standroid...

Voice Command Bug Report it to them.

mikes | 24. Mai 2019

I had similar problem. Living out in the boonies too. It placed home down at the road nearby and not up on the property, I was able to set the home with moving the pin to the location where I park and charge. It took me a couple times to get it right. Can't remember how the exact process was to do so, since this was last September.

Xerogas | 24. Mai 2019

@Standroid: you are allowed to update google maps and change where their database stores your home address location. I’ve done this for my rental properties in the boonies. Then, after few weeks, you might be able to see your real home location in your Tesla.

A sucky workaround, to be sure

EVRider | 24. Mai 2019

I'm guessing this problem isn't that unusual, since it could happen to anyone with a large property, but I don't recall anyone bringing it up in the forums before.

Standroid | 25. Mai 2019

@Xerogas Bingo! It took Google less than five minutes to consider, approve and publish the correction I submitted to the location of my home address. When I queried the address in Google Maps on another device the location was also correct. So, I went straight out the car... no joy. The nav screen in the car still shows the old location, way up the mountain. OK, I'll check back daily. It will be interesting to learn how old Tesla's navigation data is.

@EVRider Inertia! I've been aware that my home address was mislocated since I took delivery last summer, but the only impact was that I had to set my "Home" location to a neighbor's address to avoid being sent up the wrong road. It wasn't until I had the opportunity to enable/disable Sentry Mode by Home location that I was motivated to do something about it.

Thanks to all for the advice and encouragement.

mmclean708 | 25. Mai 2019

We also live in the boonies, dead end dirt road. When I use navigate I am told I am at my destination when there are trees all around, and I still have 4 lots to go. It's not Tesla, because we have a rental next door, its google....people pull into the wrong place and text us to say we're here!
Going to try fixing via Google first.