Forums

Performance Software For AWD - Poll

Performance Software For AWD - Poll

How many AWD owners are willing to pay for Performance model software to give the AWD cars the same acceleration as the performance model 3. This would not include track mode, performance brakes, 20” wheels with performance tires, carbon fiber spoiler or performance pedals. I do not see myself tracking my car but would love to have the full performance acceleration.

wgrose | 21. Juni 2019

And on that note (as a P3D+ owner), how about a Ludicrous update for us? My wallet is ready.

ryanmurray | 21. Juni 2019

@wgrose - Agreed!

foodking | 21. Juni 2019

How much are we talking about? Everything has a price. What's yours?

jjgunn | 21. Juni 2019

I'm not paying $20k for "Ludicrous" on my P3D & no way will Tesla offer it.

Why buy a Model S P100D then?

There is currently an $8500 price difference if I were to configure my car as a P3D vs AWD. I would be willing to pay around 4K for just Software without track mode.

gottafly | 21. Juni 2019

I would love that option....depending on $$?

lbowroom | 21. Juni 2019

That configuration (power without wheels, brakes, wing, etc) was available in the first few months of production. You'll here it referred to as Stealth or P3D-. After an adjustment It ended up pricing out about $6,000 more. Maybe you'll get your wish for a price or even free down the road. It's all possible.

cmh95628 | 21. Juni 2019

I don't think this is possible without a HW upgrade too. Elon said the motors are binned for the P model.

The OG KP | 21. Juni 2019

I have a P3D- my service center confirmed my suspicion that it is just a software upgrade, and not a binned motor. Apparently the motors are all so great they don’t need to be binned. ;-)

kevin_rf | 21. Juni 2019

I have yet to take mine out of Chill, so 0 dollars and 0 cents!

Now, Cuphead, I may be willing to cough up some dough for.

Atom12 | 21. Juni 2019

I did just that. In the forums it's called a P3D- or "Stealth"... and it does have track mode.

Also, it is very fast.

BuffaloBillsFan | 21. Juni 2019

Sport mode on the performance is addicting! I keep my car on Chill mode for the most part, but every once in a while on my daily commute, I will switch to Sport mode. Drains the hell out of the battery, but I don’t really care, since I can re-charge at home.

My brother owns a Mustang Shelby. I can’t race him directly, but I love smoking the shit out of Mustangs when we are next to each other at a stoplight. So much fun!

Mike UpNorth | 21. Juni 2019

$3k I'm willing to spend for the 1 second faster 0-60.

But I saw a YouTube video. After ~40 mph the P and AWD are the same quickness.
So you're literally only paying for speed improvement 0-40mph.

eztider | 21. Juni 2019

Count me in.

@Mike UpNorth - Thanks! I found that YouTube video and the results suggested that the Performance car was faster from about 0-45 and then the cars were about the same. With that said I could definitely use that extra acceleration frequently so would still be willing to pay for it. I like your 3k price.

BuffaloBillsFan | 21. Juni 2019

Not sure what I paid just for the acceleration, but I love it! Just not when I am taking a long trip.

calvin940 | 21. Juni 2019

The car is bloody damn fast as it is already that I don't think I can justify the additional expense. it would just get me into [more] trouble.

rkalbiarEV | 21. Juni 2019

I think different prices for different level of performance would be best.

howard | 21. Juni 2019

Why did you not buy a performance + upfront? Sell or trade for what you want now. Knowing Tesla they will be desperate for money again and probably offer the “software” upgrades but it really continues to diminish the value of buying a specific model Tesla. No it just diminishes the brand Tesla period. But it would seem that is not a concern at all if it ever was.

rreevessdm | 21. Juni 2019

I would be willing to pay for increased acceleration.. Maybe like 5-6k for 0-60 in 3.5 seconds.

Love my AWD, but I regret not getting the P.

Efontana | 21. Juni 2019

I just want the spoiler to keep the rear a little heavier at pace.

Magic 8 Ball | 21. Juni 2019

I think someone on ebay is selling an upgrade kit.

wlmory52 | 21. Juni 2019

I sold my rwd after 6 mos. and bought the performance version. Reason was I didn't want to spend that kind on $$$ initially and just wanted a 240+ mi. EV. I've had a smart EV for 5 years, already had the level 2 charger, but knew 70 miles wasn't enough for much other than 3rd car to run errands in suburbia. At $15 to $17k ...my current smart is a cabriolet, that was reasonable investment. I have/had an Audi A6 quattro and an Acura RDX AWD, so I figured the premium mid-range rwd would work for me. But once I drove that for just 5k miles I knew the AWD version could replace the A6, so I sold it and went Performance. We all make choices and I'd really be surprised if any additional power was ever added to the AWD without what makes the P special. Chill mode is great, perfectly fine for "normal" driving but not quite as peppy as "just" the AWD. However, in sport, I REALLY glad to have the other upgrades, especially brakes, that don't come cheap. Simply adding the HP and torque without suspension and brakes is a fool's wish.

sartorius | 22. Juni 2019

One question to folks with P3D:

Does Chill mode essentially negate the Performance aspect of the car?

Ignoring the extras (tires, brakes, etc).

jjgunn | 22. Juni 2019

Chill mode slows down the amount of torque the P3D has. Also, helps expand your range/increase efficiency too.

kevin_rf | 22. Juni 2019

When the LR AWD and Performance where dyno'd it was found they had identical chill mode curves.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/2018-tesla-model-3-dual-motor-vs...

rob | 22. Juni 2019

I would spend money to upgrade my AWD to Performance level performance. But, I would get used to it then want to upgrade to Ludicrous. I'd probably go for that too.

ODWms | 22. Juni 2019

P3D is stupid fast off the line. Faster than 99% of cars on the road. I’d probably not waste money paying for it, but if an update came featuring quicker acceleration I’d certainly use it.

ryanmurray | 22. Juni 2019

@wlmory52 - The difference in acceleration between the P and AWD is just from 0-45 mph. After that both cars have the same acceleration. The brakes and suspension on the AWD are still adequate enough to handle the faster 0-45 mph performance on the street. The upgraded brakes, tires and suspension benefit you most on the track. There are also other aftermarket options for suspension and brakes if I should decide to track my car. Your P model will still be unique because you have the brakes, larger wheels with performance tires, carbon fiber spoiler and performance pedals as well as having track mode. I still like the more aggressive look of the P model.

lbowroom | 22. Juni 2019

“Simply adding the HP and torque without suspension and brakes is a fool's wish.“

Well that's exactly how Tesla sold it to me and it handles the power just fine. Since the car weighs the same, it brakes the same from any given speed.

For those who think that 1 second faster 0-45 isn't a world of difference... say it out loud and then laugh at yourself

I do believe 1 sec from 0-45 is a big difference which is why some AWD owners are willing to pay extra for it. It would be interesting I think if some P3D- owners could chime in here and let us know if they feel like their cars suspension cannot handle the increased 0-45 mph acceleration. Tesla seemed to believe it could when they were selling the P3D-.

The OG KP | 22. Juni 2019

I have never felt my P3D- suspension couldn't handle my launches.

@OG KP - thank you!

mtapes | 22. Juni 2019

How about a 30-day trial mode, like they do for FSD, so we can "see" if it is worth it? Bet a lot of people (me included), might pay to stop it from going away with the end of the trial period. More profit for TSLA.

lbowroom | 22. Juni 2019

There is very little difference in suspension between the two. 1/2" in ride height allegedly but difficult to discern. Different springs, same dampers. I've since upgraded to coil overs mainly To reduce fender gap, but not necessary.

ODWms | 22. Juni 2019

The difference in handling via suspension and brakes is there. But it would be much more apparent at the limits of the cars’ performance, such as on the track.

For the vast majority of drivers, the PD3- setup will adequately handle all aspects of performance and handling on the street.

@mtapes - I like that idea! I don’t think I could resist buying it at the end of the trial period. Just think if Tesla charged $3k for it and 100,000 AWD owners eventually bought in that would be an extra $300,000,000.00 for Tesla for a software push. Not too shabby!

Atom12 | 22. Juni 2019

P3D- (aka. "Stealth") is perfectly fine. And as someone else mentioned: "It is stupid fast". Also, I believe it was sold to me as a 145 MPH capable top speed. I believe it is now a 160+ top speed. I never drive above the speed limit so I've yet to try that.

rbnjmnz73 | 22. Juni 2019

I'm in

lbowroom | 22. Juni 2019

Tesla does have a history for giving away power or range down the line. This one would be pretty significant. I don’t really see a driver for it right now. I’ll still keep my fingers crossed for you guys

gballant4570 | 22. Juni 2019

I might be in as well, depending on price. The HW changes (wheels & brakes, suspension) are intended to support track mode. The original P models did not have the HW upgrades.

Speaking of chill vs. sport, wouldn't the use of the battery depend more on driver behavior? I never had my AWD LR out of sport, and I get low wh/m daily numbers all the time. I can also get higher numbers if I want to, of course. Staying in chill I am thinking would simply set a ceiling, an upper limit on power flow out, with zero effect on the floor.

lbowroom | 22. Juni 2019

Yes, you are correct. You can keep it in sport if you baby the throttle

borne.by.wind | 22. Juni 2019

ryanmurray “Just think if Tesla charged $3k for it and 100,000 AWD owners eventually bought in that would be an extra $300,000,000.00 for Tesla for a software push. Not too shabby!”

If it were only that simple. Part of the $8500 covers premature drivetrain wear under warranty associated with the jerk of the performance version off the line. However, the bigger issue is once the upgrade is lowered to $3000, magazine columnists who own either performance model will whine incessantly, followed by thousands of Performance owners haranguing Tesla/Musk for rebate checks for the price difference.

Mike UpNorth | 22. Juni 2019

@borne

You bring up good and valid points.

@borne - I see your point but what really distinguishes an AWD from a P Model is the performance tires, brakes, carbon fiber spoiler, performance pedals, lowered suspension and track mode. The 3K or whatever Tesla charged to unlock the 0-45mph performance boost would be only for acceleration. The $8500 difference in price comes with not only the performance software but also all the other goodies I mentioned above. With that in mind the 3K additional charge for just acceleration that the car is already designed for seems reasonable. I could see many AWD owners opting in for this option if the price is not too high resulting in a significant amount of additional revenue for Tesla.

urbancowboy | 28. Juni 2019

I'd pay for this in a hot minute. I did not want the full PUP with 20" wheels and bigger brake calipers. The stealth or P3D- is exactly what I want, and I would gladly pay to get it.

People will whine about anything. The prices of these cars are somewhere between the USD and BTC in terms of volatility. The fact is people paid what they felt it was worth at the time of purchase. To say you're owed something in the future because the price is less than what you paid in the past is just good old American entitlement hard at work.

lbowroom | 28. Juni 2019

"what really distinguishes an AWD from a P Model is the performance tires, brakes, carbon fiber spoiler, performance pedals, lowered suspension and track mode."

Meh, not really. The bulk of the fun is in the power. BTW, the P3D- did get track mode. I've gone to wider 19's than factory and adjustable coil-overs for less than the price hop to the hardware goodies.

LarryZ | 28. Juni 2019

I have a P3D- and love it. The acceleration is awesome. The P3D came with tires I couldn't take to the snow, a spoiler I wouldn't put on, and red calipers I didn't like. To each his own!

Kary993 | 28. Juni 2019

Personally I think asking for the software upgrade is like the old muscle cars of the 70's, great straight line speed with out any braking or handling to turn. The performance package has a lot more in it other than software (suspension, brakes, and software that matter in performance)....and for a reason. When I floor the throttle in my M3P the car definitely squats back and the front lifts. It would be much worse with a standard suspension and being 1 inch higher in ride height. Now consider the fact that you are accelerating twice as fast, does a standard model 3 stop twice as fast? Well no and neither does the upgraded brakes and suspension of the M3P, but it does stop significantly better given our cars are #4000+. Handling is yet another aspect that the stiffer suspension, bigger tires with less sidewall, and bigger brakes make these cars handle very well. Would not be equivalent with a normal M3 AWD or otherwise. Tesla has some obligation to not send you out there in something that is dangerous and for me having driven a regular M3 I would not want the speed without the other items.

rajan900 | 28. Juni 2019

In the UK there are now only 2 versions available, the standard range plus and performance. With the performance it is basically the dual Motor but also has the acceleration of 3.2 and you can then pay extra to get the brakes, suspension, tyres etc.
Therefore I would have thought there should be the option to upgrade the dual motor to performance acceleration....

Pages