Forums

Advantages of a 100A circuit over a 60A ?

Advantages of a 100A circuit over a 60A ?

Hi,

Tesla’s documentation shows the possibility of a 100A circuit. What is the advantage of wiring for 100A since a 60A line will give me the same output ? See the info here: https://www.tesla.com/fr_CA/support/home-charging-installation#wall-conn...

Thanks in advance.

hokiegir1 | 14. Juli 2019

The 100A would be good if you have any plans of needing to charge a 2nd vehicle... specifically a Tesla, since the wall connectors can be wired in sequence to load share between 2-4 cars. A different style charger (J1772 type) may not benefit from this the same way, though there might be ways to do it.

whazupman | 14. Juli 2019

I installed a 60A circuit which has worked great for my single wall charger. Then I bought a second model 3 last month and want to install a second wall charger. The chargers can be installed in parallel on a single circuit. I wish I had bigger wire and a 100A CB to support higher charge rate on both chargers.
The only other advantage would be if you or a future owner has a model S or X with the bigger onboard chargers.

gballant4570 | 14. Juli 2019

Also be sure to check your overall electrical capacity. Larger circuitry could possibly lead to additional upgrade requirements, which could figure into your decision making.

herrmdogg | 14. Juli 2019

I just had my install done yesterday using a 100A circuit and 3 gauge wire. Even though I only just ordered my first Tesla, a Model 3 (which isn't even here yet), I figured since the installation work had to be done, might as well go ahead and put in the larger breaker and wire in now instead of potentially needing to redo it later. The cost is pretty minimal and a lot less than having to redo it later. Might as well future-proof yourself a bit now, in my opinion anyway. :)

jimglas | 14. Juli 2019

I put my first charger on a 60A circuit. When I put the second in it was cheaper to add a second 60A circuit. Had I been smart enougn to wire the initial at 100A, i would have been able to run both in sequence on a single circuit.

EVRider | 14. Juli 2019

Some older Model S cars with the dual charger option can charge at 80A, which requires a 100A circuit. My Model S can charge at 72A, which requires a 90A circuit. As others have said, you can set up multiple wall connectors to share a single circuit.

herrmdogg | 14. Juli 2019

I forgot to mention that I got the 100A breaker off Amazon for $36, all of the wiring necessities from Wiseway (maybe local to this area) for just under $100 and have a friend that owns a home remodeling company who did the install for $120 ($40/hour).

All in for ~$786 ($~256 for electrical parts and labor then $530 for the wall connector and shipping).

rkalbiarEV | 14. Juli 2019

Future proofing

us | 14. Juli 2019

Charger that comes with the Model 3 is 32amp. If you are using that 50 amp is plenty.
Wall charger can charge Model 3 Long Range at 48 amp so 60 amp is plenty.
Wall charger can charge Model S dual charger at 72 amps so 80 amp is plenty. Do you have a friend with an S?
Wall charger can feed a second Wall charger sharing same connection. This is where that 100 amp comes in.
2 wall chargers feeding 2 Long Range Model 3 will consume that 100amp.

Now keep in mind that you can get a full charge from empty with just that 32amp charger running overnight. And if you are like us it is unlikely you bring your Model 3 in empty. For us we could run for well over a week without charging at all. We plug in every night just so we don't ever think of charging. Be surprised if it took more than an hour to replace anything we used.

In my opinion having a wall charger sitting 1 foot from the charge port when we park far exceeds any amperage benefits. Are you really charging both at same time?

That said, we did 100amp because the cost of copper for the run was minimal for us. And we have the option for a second one at full tilt or maybe that tesla truck will need 72amp. Need, need, probably not need. I think it is more spoiling the cars that what is needed. We really would be FINE with just 32amp. But we did the 100amp.

EVRider | 14. Juli 2019

@us: Minor correction: The dual charger Model S charges at 80A, which requires a 100A circuit. The high-amperage charger Model S charges at 72A, which requires a 90A circuit.

Passion2Fly | 14. Juli 2019

Dual charger for Model S/X is 72 amps. They don’t sell them anymore ...

EVRider | 15. Juli 2019

@Passion2Fly: Dual charger was 80 amps, high amperage charger was 72. Neither is available any more. Don’t have to take my word for it — google it.