Forums

OMG, Tesla (obviously germane to the story)

OMG, Tesla (obviously germane to the story)

Magic 8 Ball | 21. Juli 2019

It is unfortunate but bad drivers are able to buy and drive TESLAs too.

borne.by.wind | 21. Juli 2019

I believe the Tesla was a rental. The comments section following the article is filled with ignorant Tesla hate claiming autopilot drives at high speeds far exceeding the posted speed limit. The story does not say the car had AP or that any form of driver assist was engaged. Still, your point is valid — anyone of any driving ability can buy or rent a Tesla. Why the paper felt the need to mention the car was a Tesla is unknown. It adds nothing to the story of someone running a light, having an accident and killing someone.

M3phan | 21. Juli 2019

Of course, if any other make car ran a light at high speed and struck someone, clearly they would survive. Those darn Tesla’s.

Wilber | 21. Juli 2019

For better or worse, journalism these days is ruled by 'clicks' the more clicks the more ad revenue the publication gets. So, of course, using the word "Tesla' will get lots more clicks than using sometihing like "Chevy" or "Ford".

billlake2000 | 21. Juli 2019

Very interesting point, Wilber.

4barkie | 21. Juli 2019

A motorcyclist was run over and killed on the same day in SF as this event but no mention of the make of that car. Which story do you think was the lead on the 5 o'clock news?

TranzNDance | 22. Juli 2019

Earlier in the day, I read about a driver who drive into a building, and "Tesla" was the first word in the title.

SamO | 22. Juli 2019

Tesla.

SpaceX

Neuralink

The Boring Company.

Hyperloop

Elon Musk is innovating and people are interested. Which is why Tesla don’t advertise.

Magic 8 Ball | 22. Juli 2019

This story is on Yahoo's lead page this morning. In the meantime my evening TV news reported on two other fatal accidents, a rollover SUV in LA, and another I can't remember with no mention of vehicle brands.

SalisburySam | 22. Juli 2019

@SamO, nor needs to.

Joshan | 22. Juli 2019

@fishec at least read the story before making incorrect posts...

Looks like someone cannot separate current from future.

@Joshan prolly best not to reply to fish since there is a "gang" flagging all his posts away regardless of content now. All context is lost when the posts go poof.

Joshan | 22. Juli 2019

just ridiculous he states things that the story cleary states, nothing he posts is ever accurate.

82bert | 22. Juli 2019

Classic fish. Love it.

@Joshan The goal is to ruffle you and others (100% troll activity). He is here throwing a long term tantrum in attempt to draw attention with their vinegary posts. Does not understand sugar works better.

Joshan | 22. Juli 2019

@fish And in a low speed crash like this, why didn't auto braking kick in?

Because as the story says moron, it was a HIGH SPEED ACCIDENT.

carlk | 22. Juli 2019

Every reporter is either influenced by or trying to influence others with the conception that a Tesla can be dangerous. That sells stories. Just like someone reeled in a shark got reported everywhere but you never hear when someone caught a dolphin.

raqball | 22. Juli 2019

So an idiot rents a Tesla, drives like an idiot, kills someone and it's the Tesla's fault? The media just being the media and looking for click bait...

Tesla is subjected to a lot of FUD, misinformation and sensational reporting..

raqball | 22. Juli 2019

I disagree @fishEV kind of... If the car was operating in FSD then I agree it might be newsworthy but as far as I can tell the renter of the Tesla was just an idiot driving as an idiot.... People do that is every car made and ever day yet we rarely see driver of Ford, driver of Chevy.

The make and model is often buried in the article but hardly ever in the headline..

So I'd agree with you about it being in the headline IF the car was operating in FSD mode and IF the driver was doing is part (paying attention, hand on wheel ect)

I don't think that was the case here though and the Tesla headline was just to incite FUD...

CharleyBC | 22. Juli 2019

From the story: “There is also dash-cam footage available from the vehicle.”

That’s the only part where the fact that it was a Tesla is at all relevant, though any car could have a dashcam.

And presumably said dashcam will illustrate that the driver was horribly at fault.

parmesan | 22. Juli 2019

Nooo... don't post these links here. They get paid for every click. in spite of lousy journalism.

Just_Ted | 22. Juli 2019

And THIS is why I would never Turo my dear, sweet Teslanetta. (this would forever haunt my conscience)

“person thinks all Model 3's are FSD.“

When in fact none are yet.

Joshan | 22. Juli 2019

I think @racball is starting to understand what we all told him the last few days. Totally agree with your posts here on this thread Raq and that post from @fish is the 3rd time he coped and pasted the exact same thing.

@Joshan He is playing you and is now trying to keep his friend at the same time.

Fish is clearly creating FUD and all you will get is a "disagree kind of" from rawballs. There will be no pushback from rawballs by clearly stating that fish is spreading FUD.

Techy James | 22. Juli 2019

@FISHEV if you had read the article you would have seen this clearly printed line: "Police said the Tesla ran a red light at high speed and slammed into a Mini Cooper, then lost control and hit two pedestrians in a crosswalk on O'Farrell Street." This means you are spreading Fake news with the comment "Very likely not at high speed so why didn't Autobraking mitigate the crash?"
Other obvious piece you missed is likely based on damage to Mini Cooper and the Tesla, while the Tesla Driver was identified at fault, the Cooper was likely going at slow speeds and didn't see the Tesla coming through Red Light. The collision was on the side of Tesla so Auto braking wouldn't have engaged because the vehicle wasn't in front of vehicle. Another point for Auto Braking, if the driver is actively pushing accelerator pedal, auto braking will not engage. Also caption on image 1 is not in line with the actual damage shown to Mini cooper.

walnotr | 22. Juli 2019

Folks, Tesla’s are inanimate objects incapable of acting on their own. ANY crash involving ANY vehicle is, in the majority of cases, the fault of the operator and not the vehicle. I read the article about the five fatal crashes in the Bay Area over the weekend and the only make mentioned in any of the five crash descriptions was Tesla. WTF?

Joshan | 22. Juli 2019

@raqball please read up on what "opinion" means. Posting factually incorrect data is not an "opinion"

calvin940 | 22. Juli 2019

@raqball

Nobody is complaining about people having opinions.

However, when an article that states:

"Police said the Tesla ran a red light at high speed and slammed into a Mini Cooper, then lost control and hit two pedestrians in a crosswalk on O'Farrell Street."

to which the individual states:

"Very likely not at high speed so why didn't Autobraking mitigate the crash?"

It is a very effective way to passively, aggressively assert a false position as if it was truth. People that read the article but missed that statement by Police or didn't read it altogether will now have a false belief in the situation planted by someone with a clear agenda. That's not an opinion or a legitimate question since the article stated it was at high speed.

So, you tell me? How would you characterize that type of constant behaviour?

82bert | 22. Juli 2019

Willing to bet the driver of the Tesla still attempts to blame the Tesla. Luckily there should be good objective data from Tesla to show otherwise.

Flagging all rawballs posts now, time for them to start going poof.

leo33 | 22. Juli 2019

@raqball is half right, but wrong in his comment about AP. Tesla is very clear that AP does not stop for traffic lights or stop signs, so even if AP was on it's no different than someone running a red light while old style cruise-control is on. Someone ran a red light period. Make/model of car is not newsworthy.

raqball | 22. Juli 2019

leo33 | July 22, 2019
@raqball is half right, but wrong in his comment about AP. Tesla is very clear that AP does not stop for traffic lights or stop signs, so even if AP was on it's no different than someone running a red light while old style cruise-control is on. Someone ran a red light period. Make/model of car is not newsworthy.

Agree.. Mentioning Tesla in the headline is obvious FUD and clickbait... Sadly they'll just keep doing it over and over as not much Tesla or anyone can do to stop it...

@raqball

"This is a reason people need to stop making his posts go poof... In looking at the thread now you'd think he never participated in it as there are no posts left......."

It's true that it makes it difficult to review later. I don't know what the right answer is especially with forum software that is as bad as this one, however, that kind of stuff cannot go unanswered because people will continue to be fed misinformation and and thus become concerned about buying a Tesla for invalid reasons.

raqball | 22. Juli 2019

@calvin940
t's true that it makes it difficult to review later. I don't know what the right answer is especially with forum software that is as bad as this one, however, that kind of stuff cannot go unanswered because people will continue to be fed misinformation and and thus become concerned about buying a Tesla for invalid reasons

------------------------------------

No disagreement here whatsoever...I am not doubting you that he made the statement but I can't see it and you can't link back to it since it's went poof...

It would be nice IF there was a way to flag posts as inaccurate but let them stand for reference at a later point.. I am told he does this all the time but I can't see his posts unless I am fast and read them before they go poof.. Posts he made just an hour ago are already gone!

The only one I saw that people keep bringing up is the adapter threads. Even then by the time I read it, many posts were already gone....

If the goal is to discredit and expose someone as a troll would it not be best to be able to link back to past comments?

Joshan | 22. Juli 2019

thats why peoplpe copy the relevent portion and do

@fishex said this

You still get the context of the falsehood and the correction.

Now I would prefer a system where we could all downvote the posts and a new user would see that like 2,218 people disagree with his posts. But this software doesnt give us that option :(

raqball | 22. Juli 2019

Joshan | July 22, 2019

Now I would prefer a system where we could all downvote the posts and a new user would see that like 2,218 people disagree with his posts. But this software doesnt give us that option

--------------------------

That would is an excellent idea.. Heck even something as simple as a thumbs up or a thumbs down would be helpful.....

raqball | 22. Juli 2019

@FISHEV A few points of pushback...

a) Was auto braking on? I think it can be turned off...
b) Do we know that auto braking did not activate? He could have been going at a higher speed and auto braking slowed him just before the impact

Far to many unknowns at this point to blame anyone but the driver...

Joshan | 22. Juli 2019

Fromt the manual (imagine that)

Automatic Emergency Braking

Automatic Emergency Braking will stop applying the brakes when you press the accelerator pedal, press
the brake pedal, or sharply turn the steering wheel.

But I am sure Fish will have some copy and paste to call that false also.

Regardless of whether autobraking is off on or, it may not necessarily be able to counteract the the acceleration or speed of the vehicle when being forced by the driver. This is especially true as it was indicated to be high speed according to the police. Nobody here knows what level of braking was going on when all of this happened, just that it was high speed.

Finally we are talking about a driver who was misusing a vehicle. I am sure over the weekend there were plenty of accidents like this yet only the one that featured a Tesla was highlighted.

Joshan | 22. Juli 2019

back to just flagging as you only have an agenda and are not here for any other reason. That stock going up 30% in the last 2 months has you pretty spooked huh?

"Far to many unknowns at this point to blame anyone but the driver."

None of us know which features may have been active or enabled: TACC, automatic braking, etc. But the bottom line--and Tesla is crystal clear about this--is the driver remains responsible regardless of any automation features.

@FISHEV | July 22, 2019
"Regardless of whether autobraking is off on or, it may not necessarily be able to counteract the the acceleration or speed of the vehicle when being forced by the driver."@calvin940

Of course but it can mitigate it from a 40 mph crash to a 30 mph and that is a huge difference.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sure which is why I will go back and highlight the salient point of it being *high speed* not the 40 mph example you are giving and thus probably the counteracting of the braking was less effective at mitigating the injuries and damage at high speed.

raqball | 22. Juli 2019

FISHEV | July 22, 2019

But the headline including the Tesla name is legit
-----------------------------

Disagree... I believe, but have no proof to back my belief up, that if were any other EV the name would not have been in the headline....

Tesla pushing that the car will achieve FSD is not an excuse to blame them instead of the driver.... The article is free to discuss that within if they'd like but the headline should have have included Tesla in any way, shape or form...

A car can be the safest car even and still be at the mercy of an idiot driver. That idiot driver might live to stand trial if they were in the safest car ever though...

The publishers were well aware of what they were doing and it's my opinion it was put in as clickbait. It may not have been intended as FUD by the paper but the clickbait part is obvious to me...

SamO | 22. Juli 2019

Translation: Tesla was asking for it by wearing that short skirt.

"SFGate did not blame Tesla for the crash."

Sure it does.. but so nicely subversively. This is not a noteworthy item to the general public. These things happen hourly across the country, but we don't see any articles for any other manufacturers. In fact, over the years with some really bad accidents, the articles talk about what happened, but they

a) don't put the make or model of the vehicle in the title
b) don't often even know the make or model of the vehicle as it isn't an important piece of information regarding the accident (just like it isn't in this artcle).

But sfgate is doing to falsely shine yet another negative light on Tesla. Many will only see the title, assume that it is Tesla's fault, and then continue to propagate that FUD.

raqball | 22. Juli 2019

calvin940 | July 22, 2019

Sure it does.. but so nicely subversively. This is not a noteworthy item to the general public. These things happen hourly across the country, but we don't see any articles for any other manufacturers. In fact, over the years with some really bad accidents, the articles talk about what happened, but they

a) don't put the make or model of the vehicle in the title
b) don't often even know the make or model of the vehicle as it isn't an important piece of information regarding the accident (just like it isn't in this artcle).

------------------

Fully agree @clavin940.. My only question is was it for clickbait purposes or FUD. I think it was clickbait unless they have a reason to push the FUD...

@rawballs Are you that daff? Tesla does not advertise. Media like SFgate is loyal to those that advertise (many car ads in the paper). Putting down TESLA make those that pay to advertise more loyal to those wanting advertising dollars.

This has been going on since day 1.

raqball | 22. Juli 2019

@FISHEV their headline infers the Tesla has something to do with it..

Have you seen an auto crash headline say " Ford Bronco runs red light and kills pedestrian "?

I've not. The headline would probably read something like 'pedestrian killed by high speed driver' or something like that. Only reading the article would expose the driver was in a Ford Bronco...

Their intentions were clickbait, FUD or both.. For now I'll have the opinion that it was clickbait...

@FISHEV

Why are you posting the same post twice? Your other one wasn't deleted.

Btw, your little snafu here validates the statements made by a number of us that you simply copy your text somewhere so you can repost the same stuff verbatim in the same thread or multiple threads.

Pages