Forums

Charging at Home

Charging at Home

Hi all. I bought my car since late June and looking to get a wall charger for my home. I wanted to get the Tesla Wall Charger with 14-50 plug. I waited for 1.5 months and it is still out of stock. Anyone have luck to purchase online?

I bought a NEMA 14-50 adapter instead and use a mobile connector charger that come with the car instead now. I'm getting a NEMA 14-50 outlet instead in my garage this month.

terminator9 | 05. August 2019

With the NEMA 14-50 outlet installed in the garage, the Tesla wall charger won't be a TON faster than the mobile charger that comes with the car with 14-50 plug. A lot of us just use that setup. Try it and see how it works since are you not getting the wall charger anyway. When you plug in empty at night, it might take an hour more to fully recharge but you would be sleeping and won't notice it.

vincelorto | 05. August 2019

That's what I do and that's all you need. Depending on how much you drive on a daily basis, you'll probably never need more than that.

howard | 05. August 2019

terminator9 & vincelorto

+1 Tesla included plug in charger. 30A at home 50A at the office.

syclone | 05. August 2019

Take a look at the Juicebox-40. Very solidly built. Some Electric companies have a substantial rebate on it (PSEG for one)

ODWms | 06. August 2019

As stated the 14-50 setup works for most, as the “difference” in charging time happens overnight anyway. It’s the same to me, because either way when I wake up the car is fully charged.

82bert | 06. August 2019

14-50 outlet is all you need. Save your money for something else.

Joshan | 06. August 2019

agreed, I use the 14-50 at home daily. Works great! Why pay for something you do not need.

Joshan | 06. August 2019

agreed, I use the 14-50 at home daily. Works great! Why pay for something you do not need.

llim3306 | 06. August 2019

I drive over 100+ miles daily and I can tell you that 14-50 is all that you need--don't waste your money. I charged to 190+ miles at Supercharge once a week, and plug into my 14-50 nightly. I adjusted it to charge at midnight and added 40 miles nightly. Works perfectly.

kevin_rf | 06. August 2019

llim3306, 40 miles a night with a NEMA 14-50? Sure it's not a NEMA 5-15?

Also, dependin on which model the OP bought, 32a may be the limit. SR+'s are limited to 32a max. Only LR's and Performance can charge at 48a.

Joshan | 06. August 2019

yep, 14-50 I get about 27 miles an hour with a 50 amp circuit.

Tronguy | 06. August 2019

If you have an LR variant the TWC will getcha 48A at 250V and 45 miles of charge per hour, which is coolish. No other wall charger will get you that except for more $$ than the $500 that Tesla charges for the TWC.
If you have something less than the LR (SR, SR+), then your max charge rate is 32A, anyway, which is the same as you'll get off a 14-50 and the mobile connector, and a 14-50 socket is a heck of a lot cheaper than the TWC.
In either case, 14-50 or TWC, even with a LR, the difference in charge rates isn't all that much; you'll still get a full charge overnight or in a few hours.
The one thing that the TWC brings to the party is convenience: It's there, on the wall, you plug it in and out, and the mobile charger stays in the trunk, without the risk that you'll forget it on the day that you'll need it. Some people figure $500 (plus the wiring costs, which are the same for that 14-50 socket anyway) is worth it, some don't, it's your call. I dinged for the thing, but I'm strange in other ways, too :).

gmr6415 | 06. August 2019

14-50 plug and mobile charger gives me 30mph to 32mph, so 8 hours results in as much as an additional 256 miles capacity.

After that I'm usually good for a week.

rdh37 | 06. August 2019

Get 30 mph with a 14-50 with a 40 amp circuit, LR AWD. The cable I have, v. 2 I think, is limited to 32 amps. More than sufficient for my needs. Have a nice day.

Joshan | 06. August 2019

not to derail, but I wonder how much faster a daily 48a charge will wear the battery compared to a daily 32a charge. Yes, I know you could set the TWC to 32a, but if you do you lose most of the point of it.

kevin_rf | 06. August 2019

Not really, it's the convenience and ability to bump up to 48a when you need some quick miles.

Long day, ton of miles, low SOC, ooops unplanned have to drive someone to tinbuk two in an hour. The 44 miles provided in that hour on the wall connector can make a difference. At least for me it has more than once. No matter how hard I try, I can never herd them out of the house faster than an hour....

Most of the time overnight at 34a, I like being 2a above 32a :-)

Marzipan | 06. August 2019

I use the NEMA 14-50 adapter with the mobile adapter every night and during the day when home - charges fast enough for me and never had to unplug it not fully charged to the limit I set.

The only thing I did was that I got a second mobile adapter to leave in the car. Some peopler are worried about wear on the outlet when the frequent unplug it ... I worried more about me being forgetful when going on a longer trip and not having the mobile charger in the car - so pure convenience and peace of mind for me.

terminator9 | 06. August 2019

I never take the mobile charger with me on longer trips. I am unsure if I can easily find a 220v and 110v is just unusable in that case. If I can't find a supercharger (which I find a at most 15-20 minutes away from any point), I would be in trouble. I don't go to desert-land either.

Marzipan | 06. August 2019

@terminator9: you are right. I actually used the mobile charger twice so far, but not because I needed to but rather because I could (and because it gave me a prime parking spot on an otherwise crowded parking lot). But yes, for longer trips I use usually either SuperChargers and/or hotel chargers (again,I have it in the car for mostly for peace of mind, not really needed)

ODWms | 06. August 2019

My charging cable stays plugged into the outlet in my garage. I’ve yet to find myself in a situation where I needed the cable.

r1200gs4ok | 06. August 2019

I have the 14-50 in the trunk of the car with the cable that came with the car,,,,,,will use it for RV camping site when on road trips at night.....I was very lucky and got the last Tesla Nema 14-50 wall charger in Costa Mesa......it has the Nema 14-50 plug.....I justness to add the outlet......I have 100apms coming into the panel so I could only use a 50 amp fuse vs a 60 amp fuse.....I get 37 miles per hours vs 44 miles per hour of charge.....schedule for charge at night so no problem.....the electric dryer had a 30 amp fuse and since I do not use a electric dryer, pulled the 30 amp fuse and capped the wires.....installed the 50 amp fuse and ran wire through the side of the wall up into the panel and connected.it....works great.....and I can go off camping to an rv spot and have the Nema 14-50 plug in.....alsi, if I move, I can just disconnect and reconnect the dryer.....

syclone | 07. August 2019

I live on Long Island, NY. PSEG is offering a $500.00 rebate on 5 different brands of wall chargers (Tesla chargers not included). I bought a JuiceBox-40 which is delivered all ready to plug into a 14-50 receptacle. This charger is a very heavily built commercial grade unit. It draws 40 amps and charges at 37 - 38 MPH, That way, I just keep my portable unit in the trunk in the unlikely event that i might have to use it on the road.

bjrosen | 07. August 2019

I was able to order a Tesla wall charger this week. It seems to go out of stock pretty quickly so sign up for an e-mail alert and then act on it immediately when you get the e-mail. I currently have a ClipperCreek but I don't like having to put the adapter on when I do a charge, the holster for the CC is designed for the J1772 connector and doesn't work if you have the Tesla adapter on so I have to take the adapter off when it's not in use. Any non-Tesla EVSE is going to have the same problem.

SalisburySam | 07. August 2019

When I picked up my car a year ago, I already had an AeroVironment EVSE installed in the home for charging my Nissan LEAF. It has a J1772 connector and outputs up to 32amps on a 40-amp circuit. I’ve used that same device for charging the LEAF and the Model 3 getting about 30 or so amps to the 3. Part of my delivery process was showing me the included connector and attachments, replacing it all in the compartment below the trunk. I haven’t moved or even seen it since. With SC’s for road trips, my charging needs are well met.

That said, if I didn’t already have the EVSE, I would have purchased the Tesla unit for the 3, had it wired to a 60-amp circuit and made use of the 48-amp capacity of my LR.

Dan45 | 09. August 2019

Last night our JuiceBox Pro40 added exactly 200 miles in 5:11 hours, or slightly over 39 miles per hour. It's a quality piece of equipment, just requiring the J-1772 adapter that we purchased so that we don't have to worry about not having one in the frunk for a just-in-case charging stop. So far, at 12,800 miles, all our charging has been done at home, but there will come day . . . .

Tronguy | 09. August 2019

Y'know, I'm just going to make a minor comment. All of us running around with Level 2, 240 VAC AC connectors..

The charger isn't in the box on the wall; it's in the car, where all the nitty gritty of rectification and conversion to DC happens.

All that's in that box on the wall is (a) a circuit board that knows how to talk to some standard or other (TWC, Tesla's proprietary protocol; J1772, whatever the heck the SAE thought was reasonable), some screws, and a Great Big Contactor, the kind that turns the fan on in the furnace in the house. Believe me, those contactors, which are built in huge quantities, are somewhere around $100. Or less.
The circuit board is maybe $20 in bulk.
The rest of it is metal bending.

Profit margins for these things are probably 50%-80% or so. I mean, a cheapie $200 cell phone has got tons more smarts that a wall connector, I don't care who the phone comes from.

Competition to drop prices hasn't quite kicked in, I guess, but it'll be coming sooner or later.

fbasciano | 10. August 2019

I put myself on a list o be emailed when a wall connector was available or in stock. I got an email within several days and acted promptly to place an order. My wall connector has been shipped and when arrives will be installed by an electrician.

Perhaps I was lucky, but putting myself on a list a seemed to work.

gballant4570 | 10. August 2019

14-30 is all I need - any level of charging can happen overnight.11-50 is a little faster - you'll find that's all you need.....

Atoms | 10. August 2019

I have a wall charger and 48A charging capability. However I set it to 32A max charging for efficiency improvement. 32A is really enough unless you need to charge fast for some event coming up. I like the wall charger. It is just solid. I don’t like unplugging and plugging in a plug. Would rather buy an additional mobile charger and leave one in the trunk.

rjriker | 10. August 2019

My home outlet of 14-50 plug works great and as previously stated it was inexpensive to install. I ran about 24 feet of electrical wire that handles 40 amps and put a new circuit breaker for 40 amps into my main electrical panel. I bought all the hardware at a local electrical supply, crawled in the attic and ran the wire, then had a professional electrician do the connecting. In Oregon his rate ran $85 and he took an hour doing the ultimate connecting. I hook up my cable that came with the car and do this about three times a month, and it charges easily overnight. I don't have a problem with plugging and unplugging the cable from the frunk as I do that less than once a week as I am not traveling long distances every day.

rehutton777 | 10. August 2019

I never did see the advantage of having the wall connector. I paid $350 to have an electrician install a 240 V outlet in my garage and use the NEMA 14-50 plug to charge. At 240 V and 32 amps, I get 32-33 miles per hour of charge. Never takes more than 5-6 hours at night to charge to 90%.

Mooseman | 11. August 2019

The only real advantage of charging at 48 Amps (rather than 32 Amps) could be in the winter since charging at a higher current will warm up the battery a bit more. This obviously only helps if you time the charge so that you get on the road right after the battery is full. Plus, if you pre-heat the car, you'll have more power left to charge the battery while the heater is running.

Other than that, as most others wrote, it doesn't really matter. The battery will be full or at whatever SoC you prefer while you're still sleeping no matter what.

schafferr | 11. August 2019

A electrician is telling me I don't need the NEMA 14-50. He says I need a NEMA 6/50 receptacle & Telsa 6/50 instead.
I will order a model 3 next week & am confused.
Can someone explain this to me since I am not understanding

Wattsworth | 11. August 2019

NEMA 14-50 and NEMA 6-50 offer the same charging rate (30 MPH) but 6-50 will be a little less expensive to install because there is no neutral wire and the receptacle is less expensive.

The only down-side I can think of is, you won't be able to use the 6-50 for your RV and 6-50s are less common than 14-50s so the 6-50 adapter is less useful when traveling.

bjrosen | 11. August 2019

Tronguy
Technically you are absolutely right, the thing on a wall is an EVSE not a charger, however you are tilting at windmills trying to get anyone to call it by it's right name. EVSE isn't a word, charger is, and where the electronics live is invisible to the user so people are naturally going to use the word charger, it's easy to say and by all appearance that's what it looks like it is. You are also right about costs and margins and for non-Tesla owners competition should eventually push the price way down. Tesla's price for their EVSE is actually pretty good, it's cheaper than a ClipperCreek for example, however the problem is that they are the only ones who make an EVSE with a Tesla plug on it, they probably have a patent on their connector and they are unwilling to license it to anyone else. I have a ClipperCreek which I bought for my Volt but I've ordered a Tesla EVSE because I find using a J1772 adapter to be inconvenient and EVSEs are all about convenience, you want to par your car and plug in a few seconds, the adapter makes it a more involved process.

kevin_rf | 11. August 2019

@Moose, I disagree on that. 48a is nice if you have a low SOC and need a little juice while you get everyone into the car for the days next adventure. I can not count the times I've arrived home, plugged in, busted my TOU, quickly added 20-30 miles of range so I could run an unplanned errand or taxi service.

slingshot18 | 11. August 2019

I have the Tesla wall connector and love it. The extra speed is fantastic when charging during the day, which I do frequently. I’ve actually moved a lot of charging to the day because then it comes straight from my solar. I believe this to be the most environmentally friendly. Don’t really care about the difference in cost. You spent a lot of money on the car. What’s another $500 to get the best setup?

Tronguy | 11. August 2019

@bjrosen: No argument with your comments. The official acronym for TWC is Tesla Wall Connector, but lots of people think, "Tesla Wall Charger", more-or-less because of, well, cell phones. It's just that there are _differences_ between a charger and a connector.
As far as patents go: I keep on hearing occasional reports that Tesla has offered their tech to anybody who'll stand still for it (SAE, other car companies, etc.) and none of them bite, even with the possibility of tapping into the Supercharger network. The commentary seems to be, all the time, "How can we mangle a standard to exclude our competitors and get money for ourselves somehow?"
The J1772 is a perfect example. Yep, you can get L2 charging at 250 VAC and 32A from it - but that's the most, pretty much, that _anybody_ can get from it, Tesla or otherwise. And that's a heck of a note for all those non-Tesla owners. And it's right about then that one realizes that one of the prime requirements for all those other car companies was to not, in any way, threaten their ICE cash cow. Not putting out a really capable charging point was part of that; putting out cars with tiny batteries was another.
At least in Europe there are J1772 variants that can handle high charge rate DC; those really haven't shown up in the US, and probably won't until the US car companies have competitive products. If they ever do.

llim3306 | 11. August 2019

@shafferr, I have the same installation as rehutton777. Take our advice and save yourself the money and unnecessary grief. I too have a 14-50 Nema installed in my garage ($350) and charge at 32-34 mph. About 6 hours charge to 90%. Lately, I hardly used the 14-50 because with regular 110V at 6 mph gets me 50 miles overnight. No need to overkill. By the way I lived in the Bay Area.

@kevin_rf, you are correct sir. I have both 14-50 but often used 110V and mistakenly stated that I get 40 miles overnight but failed to specify the plug I used.

bjrosen | 11. August 2019

Tronguy
The reason that I suspect that Tesla either doesn't license their connector or requires an exorbitant license fee is that there are no Tesla compatible EVSEs on the market aside from Tesla's. Of course automakers aren't going to use the Tesla standard, they shouldn't when there is as industry standard in CCS. But EVSE manufacturers are small companies and you would think they would want to persue the market with the largest number of EVs, Tesla. Model 3 sales dwarf the combined sales of every other BEV and PHEV on the market so why doesn't ClipperCreek or JuiceBox offer an EVSE with a Tesla cable, there is no new engineering involved, a J1772 EVSE works with a Tesla, it merely requires and adapter so how hard could it be to sell the same EVSE but with a Tesla cable? I have to assume that they aren't doing it because they can't, it's not a technical problem so it must be a legal issue.

Tronguy | 11. August 2019

@bjrosen: I've heard, repeatedly, that Tesla has offered to the industry at large access to the SC network and got crickets in response.
The original J1772 was the only standard about when Tesla stood up, looked around, and realized that there had to be a faster charging method.
There are factual reports that the Tesla connector, which reportedly uses a fair amount of the negotiation standard built into J1772, was proposed to the SAE as a standard for the marketplace. When that proposal was put forth, members of the SAE committee who were and are employees of Big 3 automakers, turned it down flat. And then came up with an incompatible standard that none of the Big 3 supported. The Wikipedia article detailing all of this _mentioned_ that there was a strong suspicion that this was done to attempt to inconvenience Tesla.
This wasn't the first time something like this happened: Chademo was an earlier standard that was likewise rejected, the thought being to inconvenience Nissan, since the Leaf competed with potential BEV//Plug-in Hybrids coming from the Big 3.
And now we got a mess: J1772, CCS, Chademo, Tesla, and, in some of those cases, things that are labelled J1772-like but are incompatible across continents. There's no _sane_ reason for all of this except that there are parties trying to use the standards process for competitive advantage.
Yeah, never ascribe to malice that which can be accounted for by incompetence. However, I've actually sat on a standards committee or two (not for anything car related); people in suits, mainly, representing their companies, and definitely worried about competition. And, in that narrow field, attempts by some companies to destroy others by playing with the standards process. It happens. In the cases I'm aware of, those attempts were stopped, but it sure didn't stop organizations from trying.
So, maybe I'm a little more than feeling that the SAE's standards committees may have been subverted. Further, it's hard to believe that the likes of ClipperCreek and JuiceBox are _not_ in those committees. Big conspiracy? Don't know. But Tesla's TWC is certainly priced lower than the competition, and that might be part of it.

Resist | 11. August 2019

llim3306 - It's actually 120v, not 110v. Residential power hasn't been 110v in forever yet somehow people keep saying 110v. Not sure how you're getting 6mph out of it. When I use 120v the app shows 5mph, but my car shows 4pmh which I think is more accurate. It took me two days to go from 10% to 90% using 120v. So yeah, I need to install a NEMA 14-50 soon.

Even though charging still takes a while compared to filling a tank at a gas station, I can get free charging at local wineries, restaurants and hotels. And while I'm sleeping my car is charging. Also, my battery charges driving down the mountains here. Once doing this added 5 miles and remember thinking even if I shut off the engine in a gas car and coasted down, it wouldn't add gas to the tank.

kevin_rf | 11. August 2019

@llim3306

It is worth noting, charging at 120v incurs higher conversion losses and is not as energy efficient. Been several forum topics. Charging at 240v has roughly a 90% conversation efficiency while charging at 120v has a sub 80% conversion efficiency. It takes 10% more energy to put the same amount of charge into your battery.

Charge with 240v if you can.

Nakid | 11. August 2019

I bought the HPWC. With the 14-50 and the long run from my box to the garage, I never got better than 23-24mph charging. I installed the wall charger myself (just disconnected the 14-50 outlet and wired it in). I went from 23-24 to consistently 43-44mph.
That's a huge difference. Plus, I now keep the mobile charger in the car rather than hanging from the plug.

llim3306 | 13. August 2019

@kevin_rf

Thanks for the advice. I m fairly new to the Tesla world--only got mine early June of this year. I will be charging
from my 14-50. I only need 50 miles nightly, thus, the 120V.

@RESIST, yes the 120V and 110V are used interchangeably. But I do get 5-6 MPH on my 120V.

jonabramson | 13. August 2019

I had a 14-50 installed in my garage using about 35' foot of 6 gauge running from a 200 amp main panel. I use a Gen1 Mobile connector for it so I get 40 amps. Gen 2 that came with the car I keep in the trunk. That limits to 32 amps. The Gen2 charges about 37 miles an hour and more than efficient enough for me.

bjrosen | 13. August 2019

Tronguy, Tesla may have offered their competitors access to the Supercharger network but they did it knowing full well that everyone would say no. No company wants to be dependent on their competitors. As for SAE there was zero chance that they would accept Tesla's standard instead of inventing a new one, that's how standards committees work, They work fine when they are defining something that doesn't exist but they will never accept something if that's already in production from one competitor. In the early 80s I was on three JEDEC standards committees, DRAMs, ROMs, and Programmable Logic. Devices were incredibly simple back then, the packages had 24 pins at most, so the functionality was obvious. However there was one generation of ROM that they could never standardize. The problem was that Texas Instruments already shipping a part so the other members of the committee, such as AMD, refused to accept TI's pinout, instead they wanted to swap a couple of pins so that the TI part would be incompatible with the standard, TI refused of course so they were at an impasse, it simply wasn't possible to arrive at a compromise. They did standardize the next several generations of ROMs. that was easy because nobody had a product yet. This is exactly what SAE did, Tesla was already building cars with their plugs so there was no possibility that GM, Ford, VW, Daimler, et al, were going to standardize Tesla's plug. The thing that I don't understand is why the US and European CCS standards are different, what could they have possibly been thinking? All these companies are multinationals, the incompatibility between the EU and the US can only cost them money.

jrweiss98020 | 14. August 2019

Does anyone know why the 14-50 adapter for the mobile charger is rated for only 30A on the label? What is the real charging rate?

in7 | 14. August 2019

Hi jrweiss98020,

Go to this web page and scroll all the way down to the section about NEMA 14 to read about it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEMA_connector

jrweiss98020 | 14. August 2019

Yes... That says the connector is rated at 50A. Why is the Tesla 14-50 adapter rated at 30A?

Pages