Forums

Tesla P3D vs BMW M3 - Daily Driver Review

Tesla P3D vs BMW M3 - Daily Driver Review

I reviewed the BMW M3 vs the Tesla Model 3 Performance. The point of this video is to compare the cars as daily drivers, other than Tesla's superior performance aspect. To consider these cars and not to just blindly look at "MSRP" and think oh the BMW is just a tad more (at least that was the case in the past, no longer true). It's more about fuel and operating cost that I wanted to point out as well by showing actual cost which I don't really see in other review videos, at least not in detailed form.

What do you guys think?

W8G4TSL | 12. August 2019
jjgunn | 12. August 2019

I think anyone purchasing a vehicle that isn't upgradeable to FSD is simply wasting money.

Halbach | 13. August 2019

Excellent video. Did you get a Model 3?

W8G4TSL | 13. August 2019

Yes, that's my Model 3 in the video

FSD will definitely be VERY nice when it's released.

thanks for the feedback!

bjrosen | 13. August 2019

Good video, the one thing that was unfair is about navigation. The Model 3 doesn't have Android Auto and everybody else does. Yes it's true that the built in nav in other cars is much worse than Tesla's navigation but Google Maps and Waze on Android Auto are much better than Tesla's navigation. GM, to there credit, acknowledges the superiority of Google Maps and to their credit the Bolt doesn't have built in navigation, it relies solely on Android Auto and Car Play. Aside from that your main point, that the Model 3 has better performance than a BMW while costing less to drive than a Prius is spot on. Your numbers only apply to CA, I'm paying twice as much for electricity as you do so an Model 3 and a Prius would cost the same for me but even so that's comparing a car that's scary fast, the Model 3, with one that's scary slow, the Prius.

jimglas | 13. August 2019

nice video

bjorsen: You're right about android auto using google maps really nice. Now that you mention it, I probably should've pointed that out, slipped my mind at the time. I guess since I was looking at it from a car vs another car point of view, purely from the standpoint of this car alone, it doesn't come with Google Maps. You actually need an external device (Android phone) hooked up while it's running to get that, since that is external to the car, not everyone will have that. Whereas the Tesla comes with Google Maps, you don't need anything to have that.

Thanks for the feedback, that's honestly a good point I should've mentioned regardless. Yes, electricity rates do vary by state, so not necessarily always true but in most cases it is. I also put the equations so people can do the math with their rates as well for comparisons. I also could've mentioned that there are also workplaces that have free charging as well, not to mention other public places like malls that have free charging as well, etc. People that have solar panels, have an advantage too. But I was keeping the electricity rates at a California vs a California gas level so it could be a "fair" comparison, meaning you don't have to go out of your way to get a free charge.

That was great feedback, appreciate it!

bjrosen*

thanks jimglas!

kallian | 13. August 2019

Its really amazing that driving a p3d, not worried about brake wear or energy consumption when powered from solar on roof (at 0 cost over the full year for charging). Of course there is always speeding tickets and tires to worry about.
Why would anyone want an BMW is beyond me. There are always leather stitches and plastic knobs that get people impressed (roll eyes).

IHaveArrived | 13. August 2019

@bjrosen I can't agree with your evaluation of Waze and Google Maps. I find them far too aggressive in trying to shave off small amounts of time, which sometimes results in the "Waze effect". The Tesla nav system won't re-route unless the time saving is 10 or more minutes, which works better for the places I tend to drive.

bjrosen | 13. August 2019

@IHaveArrived, the features that I miss on Tesla's nav are Avoid Highways and multiple routes. I prefer to take scenic roads if I can, twisty mountain roads in Vermont or seaside roads in Maine. You don't see anything on an Interstate and you don't discover interesting little towns. Even for my commute, which I only do once a week, I find the back roads much more relaxing than braving the traffic jams on the highways. The back roads are also more energy efficient both because they distance traveled is shorter and because you are doing 35 not 65, BTW the shorter distance makes up for the slower speeds so actual travel time is about the same. Google Maps has two features that facilitate scenic travel, Avoid Highways and multiple route choices. There are usually multiple ways to get to a destination, some are more appealing than others. I'll pick an interesting route even if it costs me 15 minutes over a faster but duller route. I can't do that with Tesla's navigation. I really hope they add those features.

BuffaloBillsFan | 13. August 2019

Great video. I love my Model 3 performance, and this video shows a few reasons why.

W8G4TSL | 15. August 2019

@kallian, Excellent point! I honestly think that more than half the people that buy BMW's simply don't understand EV's, think they're expensive or think they have 80 miles of range. Sometimes, people ask me how much range my car has and I say around 300 and they get surprised like REALLYY??? *SMH* people just don't know how amazing these cars are but they will soon enough.

@bjrosen, I can see Tesla adding that in the future.

@BuffaloBillsFan, Thanks! I love my Model 3 Performance as well! I'm definitely going to make more videos about it to go over more things.