Forums

Volkswagen CEO interested in Tesla stake

Volkswagen CEO interested in Tesla stake

BERLIN (Reuters) - Volkswagen (VOWG_p.DE) CEO Herbert Diess is interested in acquiring a stake in Tesla (TSLA.O), German business publication Manager Magazin reported on Thursday, citing company sources.

“Diess would go in right away if he could,” the magazine quoted one of Diess’ top managers as saying.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-m-a-tesla-volkswagen/volkswagen-ceo-i...

El Mirio | 22. August 2019

Didn't VW also hint they want to invest during the go private tweet last year. It sure seems VW wants badly in on the action, just from a software perspective i can see why.

Magic 8 Ball | 22. August 2019

Does the top manager know Kevin Bacon, if so I believe it.

TeslaTap.com | 22. August 2019

The article headline states "Volkswagen NOT interested in buying Tesla stake". Seems there are some conflicting articles.

rxlawdude | 22. August 2019

Clearly denied by VW.

andy.connor.e | 22. August 2019

But the article's opinion said so

tew ms us | 22. August 2019

@TeslaTap You're right. The web page I saw this morning had the quote from "one of Diess’ top managers". The cynic in me thinks VW denied it so quickly because the first, replaced, report was accurate.

carlk | 22. August 2019

I just posted this on the Model 3 forum:

Here is an interesting article. VWG was mentioned as one of the places that were interested in financing the $420 going private deal. Its true intention was also cited as one of the reasons Elon walked away from the deal. The current story is not out of nowhere.

https://www.teslarati.com/elon-musk-tesla-privatization-30-billion-offer/

johncrab | 22. August 2019

There is a saying in politics and defense contracting: "Never believe anything until it is officially denied."

El Mirio | 22. August 2019

first pro, then anti. top mgmt of VW cant be caught liking tesla too much.

Ross1 | 23. August 2019

It should increase the stock prices of both companies.

Ross1 | 23. August 2019

Next day: VW up, TSLA down. What does that say?

Yodrak. | 23. August 2019

"VW up, TSLA down. What does that say?"

It says that the market is volatile.

blue adept | 26. August 2019

I don't think there's any real interest on anyone's behalf for VW to acquire a stake in Tesla.

In fact I think that would be the last thing anyone would want, especially on Tesla's side, what with VW's overtly pro-ICE platform and the whole diesel emissions cheating scandal (which made pairing with Ford ideal given that they themselves have had their own emissions issues, what with piping their exhaust fumes into the cabin to increase the exhaust note aesthetic to, allegedly, make their knockoffs more appealing).

Anyway VW, Audi, Porsche, et al., they're a brainy lot, I'm sure that they can figure the whole EV thing out on their own, that is, if they ever actually really wanted to.