Forums

Sadly Dyson has scrapped its EV car program

Sadly Dyson has scrapped its EV car program

Sadly Dyson has scrapped its EV car program. Just sad that an innovator was unsuccessful in starting up and offering more alternatives to the old guard of dinosaur auto manufacturers.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-50004184

https://electrek.co/2019/10/10/dyson-billion-electric-car-project-over/

Mathew98 | 10. Oktober 2019

Not the first EV firm to fold. It won't be the last.

It's a shame about $3B in EV research vaporized. Now we have to pay double for our next vaccum replacement...

rxlawdude | 10. Oktober 2019

That sucks.

bishoppeak | 10. Oktober 2019

I wish all these pricey startups would just invest in Tesla and build on what's already rolling.

Mathew98 | 10. Oktober 2019

Worse than customer service? Asking for a friend...

Mike83 | 10. Oktober 2019

Dyson is smart. why get into the ring with Mike Tyson.

SamO | 10. Oktober 2019

I'd hoped Dyson's personal fortune would be enough to bring this car to fruition, but alas, it was not meant to be.

Building cars is hard.

inconel | 10. Oktober 2019

Yeah that really sucks. Especially since they did not start this EV business out if a vacuum, there was already a growing market for them to analyze.

Anyway I now wonder what will happen to Fisker.

AERODYNE | 10. Oktober 2019

Rxlaw...+1

carlk | 10. Oktober 2019

Like Mike83 said. Dyson never had a chance to begin with.

Earl and Nagin ... | 12. Oktober 2019

Unfortunately, when starting a business as tough as a car business, just being technically innovative is not enough. Tesla, from the beginning had a plan that covered the business aspects with an innovative business plan. They used existing innovation (from AC Propulsion and Li-ion battery makers) with an existing automobile expertise (Lotus) but added a business plan that exploited the benefits of an EV over ICE.
It will be hard for anyone else to do this again.

Shesmyne2 | 12. Oktober 2019

rxlaw +1
Knew that was coming.

Still Grinning ;-)

Bighorn | 12. Oktober 2019

@NKYTA
Yeah, I definitely was beat to the obvious punch line and wondered how many others were as well. Tesla continues to clean up

Bighorn | 12. Oktober 2019

Sorry again, @shesmyne2!

pgkevet | 13. Oktober 2019

My take on Dyson is that he attacks a recognised product with a view to bringing a 'claimed to be radical improvement' he patents to that product. - his cyclonic suction for instance or his 'airblade' hand drier (about the most unhygeining method of spraying the area under the hand drier with contaminated splashes and germ ridden aerosols).
I'd guess that after playing in the car dev area he decided that there wasn't enough room for radical improvment to get enough market share for the costs and risk involved. Sticking with battery research has potential for all his other electrical goods

Mathew98 | 13. Oktober 2019

Words are cheap. Action costs billion$...

Where are Faraday Future, Lucid Motors, and a host of other Tesla killers now a day?

carlk | 13. Oktober 2019

Those people thought they could just follow Tesla's recipe. The devil is always in the details. I remember a story this guy claims he could walk around the earth in 24 hours. He said I'll just follow the sun. Well it only looks that way until you go do it.