Forums

Anyone else? I suspect mid-release config file updates

Anyone else? I suspect mid-release config file updates

I've noticed slight changes in car behavior even between updates. I suspect Tesla makes silent config file changes to the release to tweak the behavior.
Most folks who deal with production software releases know this is possible and common.

Anyone else had this feeling?

HighlandPony | 11. Oktober 2019

I’m not saying it was aliens, but it was aliens.

Hp.1193 | 11. Oktober 2019

Explain “slight changes in car’s behavior”

PteRoy | 11. Oktober 2019

They also come to your house at night and replace the hamster that is actually operating the “summon” feature. So. Anything’s possible I guess.

Tronguy | 11. Oktober 2019

After listening, hard, at the Autonomy Day presentation, I came away with some impressions about updates.
Look: to my mind, there's data and there's software that works on the data. That's not precisely true for self-modifying code (which is a thing.. I've done that at times with good old interpreter BASIC, and actually watched Microsoft's very own FORTRAN compiler do that while handling the existence/non-existence of a math coprocessor when doing some compiler debug), and, I suppose, all bets are off for neural networks, which is what the core of the Tesla works with in terms of image recognition and such.
But neural networks work on weights; those weights are what all that training is about. There's programs loading weights and images into the neural processors and probably configuring those processors for particular tasks as everything flies along.
So, I can see that if the controlling programs change, then that would be, pretty obviously, a firmware update. But changing the weights.. That's almost like simply updating a database and might not touch the code at all.
So, I'm betting that database downloads that are improved may be coming down a lot faster than people think.
Finally.. One of the big deals about neural networks is that there can be feedback that comes back in through an update channel and changes the weights on their own. We do that: It's called, "learning". I suggested that Tesla might be enabling some learning in that neural processor and got pooh-poohed around here. Still think it's a possibility, though.
So, changes after the update? I'm willing to believe that.

calvin940 | 11. Oktober 2019

They can definitely change config between releases. I had Hulu when V10 was released even after a full reboot. Sometime the next day I lost it when no update was sent. Obviously that was a push out to Canadians since Hulu is not available in Canada. For me that validates what I already expected anyhow. They need to be able to make changes to certain things without requiring permission from owners to implement nor requiring a new software build rollout as well as safety items.

gmr6415 | 12. Oktober 2019
vmulla | 12. Oktober 2019

@Tronguy, @Calvin940,
Thank you, you're talking about exactly the kind of small differences that I've noticed over my ownership.
I've noticed small changes through my ownership. It's like 'didn't I experience something different in the last drive?'

I did not think about what @Tronguy mentioned, pushing different 'weights' to the logic based on learning.

I think there are atleast 3 different layers that get updated
- Data updates (maps, speed, signage, etc) - constantly updated silently
- Config updates which affect the release but are updated silently
- Software updates which are publicly acknowledged

mrburke | 12. Oktober 2019

A software update should only be needed if "code" is being updated.
Configuration data which could include enabling/disabling of features should not require a software update.

If I was doing it, I would have the car check for a data update when the driver leaves/locks the car and there is a good network signal. Data updates should only take a few seconds to download & install.

vmulla | 12. Oktober 2019

@mrburke,
Exactly, which is why I'm suspecting config updates that are silently altering the behaviour of the car between releases.