Forums

Is it ok to store the Model S for weeks or months?

Is it ok to store the Model S for weeks or months?

I'd like to know if my Model S would be a good car to keep at a vacation home. If so, what is the best way to do so? i.e. Tesla charger, 240v, 120V, etc. Will weeks or months of sitting idle damage the car or battery in any way? Also, my S is a 2015. Thanks.

jimglas | 16. Oktober 2019

Keep plugged in
Should be less worrisome than an ICE. No gas to go bad, no oil to settle out of the engine.
Hopefully some animal doesn't make your car into its house.

TeslaTap.com | 16. Oktober 2019

It should be fine. I recommend setting the charge to 50-60% (the healthiest long-term charging level), but this is not critical. 120V should also be fine. I'd mark your calendar to check it via the app every 30 days or so, just in case something happened to stop charging (tripped breaker, downed power line, etc.). At 0% SOC the battery can last a number of months (6 maybe), but the 12v battery will be lost if it does gets to 0% SOC and you'll not be able to access the car until 12v is available. Best to keep it charging.

The tires may get flat spots from sitting so long (true of any car). After driving a few miles they should even out, especially if warm outside.

lilbean | 16. Oktober 2019

My X sat plugged in for a year at a charge level of 60%, no problem.

WWISP | 16. Oktober 2019

Thank you for the responses. I appreciate the information and personal experiences.

jordanrichard | 16. Oktober 2019

Just to add to what TeslaTap said, if when you put your car away, it's at say 75%, set the charge limit to say 50%. What this will do is tell the car to start charging once the "vampire drain" gets the SOC below 50%.

WWISP | 16. Oktober 2019

Great! Thanks again.

jrweiss98020 | 16. Oktober 2019

Buy a set of jack point pads and put it on jack stands to prevent flat-spotting the tires if you're leaving it for months.

jordanrichard | 16. Oktober 2019

There are other and easier methods to mitigate flat spots. One can fill the tires with the max pressure listed on the tire or place thick carpet squares under each wheel. The tire pressure trick was mentioned by a Porsche dealer at a PCA event I attended a number of years ago. He said that Porsche actually ships its cars with the tires filled to the max and what is suggested for car put in storage for the winter. Jacking a car up and putting in jack stands leads the whole suspension stretched to it’s limit.

sbeggs | 17. Oktober 2019

@jordanrichard,
Valuable advice, thank you.

Tesla2018 | 21. Oktober 2019

Does plugging it into the wall also charge tbe 12v battery or does that need to be put on a trickle charger? Also it might be good to have a neighbor drive the car around every once in a while. I let my other car sit for almost a year and tbe wheel bearing was bad on one of the wheels. Dont know if it was from not rotating and getting lubricated. Dont know if it is a good idea to let the coolant and other rotating psrts just sit there. Also I once left a car outside for a month when I was moving and it wss raining. The brake rotors rusted a little and the parking brake almost seized up and stuck to them. Rotors made a weird noise until I drove for a few miles and wore off the rust by braking. I am in Florida so my snowbird friends give me their keys so I can drive their cars around every few weeks. Neighbors thought I worked for a car dealership since they always saw me driving different cars to my house to wash and wax them before my friends returned for the winter.

NKYTA | 21. Oktober 2019

Word salad,

jrweiss98020 | 22. Oktober 2019

The 12V battery is charged automatically when the main battery is above 0% SOC.

Frank99 | 22. Oktober 2019

yup, you don't have to worry about the 12V battery - your car will take care of it.
I haven't heard of anyone having issues from letting their car sit, but you could be the first. The question you have to decide is, is it more likely that the car will have a wheel bearing go bad from sitting, or that your neighbor will get in an accident while driving your car?
There's not much that moves on a Tesla - two bearings in the motor, the reduction gear (which is sitting in oil), and the wheels. I wouldn't worry about any of that having an issue with sitting, nor will the coolant.
Brakes will be like any car - sitting in the rain will cause rust; sitting longer in the rain will cause more rust. If you're going to park it outdoors, perhaps wheel covers like the RV crowd uses to protect their tires from the sun would keep most of the water off the discs. Atmospheric moisture will still cause rust, but perhaps not as much.

All in all, if it were me I'd try to park it under cover, plug it in with the charge limit set to 60-80%, and not worry. You might get some brake rust - but you've experienced that now, and know how to deal with it.

abrahamedward169 | 24. Oktober 2019

It would be fine to my knowledge.