Forums

I can now hear and reply to text messages in my Model 3

I can now hear and reply to text messages in my Model 3

I saw a youtube video that mentioned Readittome 2.0. You have to have an Android phone (just another reason why I prefer Android) When you set this app up correctly your incoming text messages (or any messages if you set them up) will break in over whatever you're listening to (just like an incoming phone call. It even pops up the incoming call box on the screen) and read your text message and then ask if you want to reply. You can then reply by voice and it will verify and then send. You can even customize by individual contact. You can set it to not notify you at all for specific contacts, or just have it announce a message but not read the whole thing for specific contacts. Tesla still needs to add this functionality since all of their luxury competitors already have it, but this is an awesome fix until then!

rxlawdude | 16. Oktober 2019

A lot of not-so-happy reviews of this app. Still, is interesting. But a subscription model? No thanks.

sced06 | 16. Oktober 2019

It has worked perfectly for me so far. There is a free 2 week trial. After that the upgrade to keep using voice replies is only $1.99. I would have paid 100 times that to have this functionality that I took for granted in my A4. I think a lot of the negative reviews are from people who didn't set it up properly.

andy | 16. Oktober 2019

Voice compose is standard on iPhones with with Siri and read and compose is standard on any car with CarPlay. Have considered using my watch with Siri, but don’t miss the distraction of text messages in the Model 3.

Nice tip for Android users....

Effopec | 16. Oktober 2019

Do you have to be streaming music from your phone at the time for it to play over the M3 speakers, or does it work no matter what music source you are using?

voice compose is standard with Google on Androids and any car with android auto as well, but you still have to have the model 3 set on "phone" if you want to hear it over the speakers. Using this app, you can be listening to tunein or spotify, etc. and the text will break in and play automatically without you having to tell google or tell siri to play it.

It works no matter what music source you are listening to, as long as in set up you tell it to only use phone calls as it's method of streaming the text to you.

It works no matter what music source you are listening to, as long as in set up you tell it to only use phone calls as it's method of streaming the text to you.

Syed.Hosain | 16. Oktober 2019

@andy "... don’t miss the distraction of text messages in the Model 3."

Totally agreed! Text messages should never have the *immediacy* that we seem to want to imbue them with.

Responses can wait ...

lbowroom | 16. Oktober 2019

As mentioned above, just like "Hey Siri" also works at anytime to dictate and read texts on iPhone.

coselectric | 16. Oktober 2019

Bracing for complaints about the lack of Apple CarPlay /Android Auto in 3... 2... 1...

Responses can wait? If it's totally by voice it's totally safe, and when you have over an hour commute each way and need to communicate for work and with family, why should we wait??? This app is great and there's no excuse for Tesla not to have this built in. Don't understand all the hate on here.

Not surprisingly, even with plain voice calls, the distraction while responding can be a serious problem.

I am the first to acknowledge that I will take calls in my car, but I will terminate them as quickly as poosible if it is not an emergency.

Distraction and paying attention to the call rather than driving is frankly too easy.

Not hating ... you can do what you want ... just not around me, I hope! :)

I can't listen to a 5 second text message in my car around you? but I assume you listen to music, or podcasts or the news in your car?. I guess that's never distracting?? These arguments are silly. Do you drive an hour each way to work? Listening to a few text messages and replying with a few words, all without ever taking my eyes off the road is somehow unsafe???

sschock | 16. Oktober 2019

It's called "share of mind." It can be observed in the difference in driving between 1 person driving vs. driver and a passenger having a conversation. From personal observation, driving skills suffer in a way that can be noticed by other drivers (me). Talking while driving, by definition, is two tasks, not one, thus, your attention is actually divided. I'm not convinced, sced06, that you should be so confident of the unquestionable safety of your driving habits. As I say, I can see it on the road and quite often. We are trying to have fewer accidents through proper use of technology, not more, right?

people will use their phones and type and get into serious accidents. Phones aren't going away. There's a reason why cars have this built in now. It's a safety measure. Ton's of people on this forum have been clamoring for this and Elon tweeted that it would be part of version 10. I hope there are others out there that are happy to find a solution. I know I was. If you can't drive and reply to a voice text than you better not be looking at your navigation, or using the screen to change your spotify play list, or any of the other dozen, way more distracting things that Tesla's have. You can't even change your side mirrors while driving in a Tesla without taking your eyes off the road. There are way bigger things for you to worry about than me saying 7 out loud when I get a text from my wife asking what time I'll be home.

alisse | 16. Oktober 2019

I've been doing this for a while now. I (also on Android) use AudioBT+. It sends sound through the call audio channel, effectively making the Tesla think it's getting a phone call. Works great. All responses play through the car speakers.

@sced06 "I can't listen to a 5 second text message in my car around you? but I assume you listen to music, or podcasts or the news in your car?. I guess that's never distracting?? These arguments are silly. Do you drive an hour each way to work? Listening to a few text messages and replying with a few words, all without ever taking my eyes off the road is somehow unsafe???"

Yes, listening to music or news or radio *has* been shown to be *less* distracting than when you have to respond - whether with voice or other actions.

The attention needed to *respond* (not the listen part) to the text. even if verbally, making sure that the response text is what you wanted to send, and all that, makes it more unsafe.

Bottom line: the attention to do *interaction* is higher than simple listening. Btw, conversation with a passenger can be unsafe too (I have seen people look away from the road to talk to a passenger ... eek!)

Yes, you can choose to do what you want when you drive, of course ... I am just glad I am not in the car with you, or anywhere nearby, I hope! :)

RollTideTesla | 16. Oktober 2019

Syed.Hosain: So you're saying you don't converse with your passengers while you're driving? You said yourself conversations can be unsafe. Maybe it's not as distracting as other activities, but still distracting, right? Do you let them talk to each other, but just not to you? Or do you demand total silence in order to achieve maximum mental focus?

Obviously I'm being facetious to make a point, which is: Where do you draw the line? Obviously looking down at your phone and texting is dangerous. But responding to a text by voice while never taking your eyes off the road? Yes it's more distracting than not doing it by some tiny fraction, but enough to worry about? I'd argue no. I think an experienced adult driver can operate a car safely while talking and keeping their eyes on the road.

You can choose to pretend otherwise and be pedantic, I'm just glad it's not around me, I hope :)

SteveWin1 | 16. Oktober 2019

Thanks sced. It's hard to say anything on this forum without someone trying to tear into whatever you're saying. Ignore them. I will give this and audioBT+ a try. Didn't know this was even an option. Definitely safer than looking at my phone. Maybe apple people are just pissed they don't have this? Great post. Thanks.

@RollTideTesla "Syed.Hosain: So you're saying you don't converse with your passengers while you're driving? You said yourself conversations can be unsafe. Maybe it's not as distracting as other activities, but still distracting, right? Do you let them talk to each other, but just not to you? Or do you demand total silence in order to achieve maximum mental focus?"

I do talk, but minimize *my* talking as much as I can, for sure. And, I definitely do NOT turn to look at them while talking - seeing people do that while driving scares the hell out of me!

And, if someone attempts to hand me something to look at, I reject that. Even if the other person is holding the phone so it is "hands-free" for me. Eek!

I ain't perfect. Yes, I will answer calls in my car, but the call needs my *attention* (even though it is only voice), I get off the road. Have done that for conference calls for example - even with hands-free.

In my previous car, I used an excellent headset for voice calls, but abandoned that when I realized it was still an attention-sink.

@RollTideTesla "Obviously I'm being facetious to make a point, which is: Where do you draw the line? Obviously looking down at your phone and texting is dangerous. But responding to a text by voice while never taking your eyes off the road? Yes it's more distracting than not doing it by some tiny fraction, but enough to worry about? I'd argue no. I think an experienced adult driver can operate a car safely while talking and keeping their eyes on the road.

You can choose to pretend otherwise and be pedantic, I'm just glad it's not around me, I hope :)"

Again, I am not perfect, so I do answer calls using the hands-free system, but if it is not an emergency, I will end it quickly, or pull off the road for long conversations.

To me, TEXT messages seem to have become imbued with a "must respond right away" mentality that I think is a potential source of problems while driving. Needs more attention, IMHO.

Anyway, I am not a law enforcement officer, so am not trying to enforce my thinking on others. Just explaining how I feel about it! :)

It takes absolutely no effort to use hey Siri completely hands-free in an almost identical manner to CarPlay

Would it be nice to have CarPlay in the car, sure. But it’s not there.

Would it be nice to have CarPlay in the car, sure. But it’s not there.

GrumpyinAZ | 16. Oktober 2019

Listening to music is passive activity, requiring the minimum amount of your attention, and most of us grew up with that in our parents' cars before our own, so we've adapted. That's not true with texting or phone calls. They require active participation of your mind, taking away the attention you should be giving the road and your surroundings. That's distracted driving, and law enforcement doesn't care whether you're using your phone in your hands or through the audio part of your car. You can be ticketed for 'distracted driving'. And distracted driving kills a lot of people.

My lone wolf cry in the night has been KEEP THE INTERNET OUT OF THE CAR. Lot of good it's done so far.....

sced06 | 17. Oktober 2019

Some of these people have definitely bought the wrong car

TexasBob | 17. Oktober 2019

@lbowroom - For iPhone I have always used "Hey Siri" for this as well. After I get on AP I just say "hey siri read my text messages" and it reads them one by one and asks if I want to reply after each one.

Effopec | 17. Oktober 2019

@lbowroom - except you have to wake the phone up first for it to accept the hey siri command. My phone is usually in my front pocket so it requires me to pull it out and wake it up. More than zero effort.

RollTideTesla | 17. Oktober 2019

" They require active participation of your mind, taking away the attention you should be giving the road and your surroundings. That's distracted driving, and law enforcement doesn't care whether you're using your phone in your hands or through the audio part of your car. You can be ticketed for 'distracted driving'. And distracted driving kills a lot of people."

Again I ask, does that apply to having a conversation with someone in the car? Are we going to vilify people who do that as well? I mean, it requires participation of the mind, shame on those irresponsible car-talkers, am I right? You won't convince me that talking hands-free, both hands on the wheel and looking straight ahead is measurably more dangerous than talking to someone physically present in the car. Yet nobody is looking to ban those conversations. Why? because it's ridiculous.

By the way I'd love to know which jurisdictions prohibit cell phone conversations using completely hands free, car audio systems for adult drivers.