Forums

Regenerative breaking severely limited all the time

Regenerative breaking severely limited all the time

I got my MX in September, so now that the temperatures dropped below 40, I noticed that the yellow dashed line never goes away and the regenerative breaking is very-very limited.
The car is kept in the garage plugged in, and I tried preconditioning it in advance by turning on the heat – to no avail. Even after driving for 40 minutes, the yellow dashed line doesn't go away. I don't drive for hours, but with 20-30 minutes drives the line never goes away.

What are other MX owners' experiences?
Is that normal or do I need to schedule a service appointment?

Bighorn | 11. November 2019

Sounds pretty normal Try charging for awhile before you leave in the morning. Best way to warm the battery without wasting energy with the battery heater Does your app show that the battery heater is going on with the climate preconditioning? The threshold for that is around 40F I think.

taralex77 | 11. November 2019

@Bighorn:
There's nothing about battery heater that I can see in the app...
Right this morning, the car was plugged in overnight, I dropped the kids at school (took me about 30 minutes of driving), then drove to work for about 40 minutes, and the yellow dashed line never went away. So it's normal that an MX has no regenerative breaking ever below 40F? That doesn't seem right...

evaandmarty | 11. November 2019

Hello
Be certain Range Mode is Off
Range mode on prevents the battery from heating itself, this will substantially slow the battery warming process which in turn delays good regen. The battery has a 6 Kw heater that wilm not operate in Range mode

taralex77 | 11. November 2019

Range Mode is certainly off

The temperature the battery cold soaked to is the metric that matters. The dashed line should steadily allow more regen as the battery warms. Being plugged in is not sufficient. You need to charge the battery before departure to warm it. There should be a battery icon on your app climate screen if the battery warmer is engaged while warming the cabin.
I came back to make sure Range mode was not toggled, but see it got addressed.

drm | 11. November 2019

I also have noticed a big decrease in regenerative braking on recent cold snap in Nebraska. I have. 2017 model X, I don’t recall it dropping off that much previous years. Has any updates affected braking? I sure wouldn’t think so.

I've noticed on my S that regen limits kick in on mountain descents unlike before. I think they're being more protective of the battery both at superchargers and wrt regen limits.

luv4amp | 12. November 2019

@taralex77 I also took delivery of my MX Long Range aug 31. I too am experiencing the same exact issue for last two months!! I took it in to service on the 11th of nov. service tech took test drive and felt nothing was wrong. I did try charging just before I leave warmed up the cabin 30 mins prior to leaving and now with schedule departure I have been doing that and still I hardly have any regen breaking.

NoMoICE | 13. November 2019

I am interested in hearing what the outcome is on this topic. I've noticed a recent definite decline of regenerative strength recently. Figured it had to do with V10 update for some reason. Dissapointing March19 X.