Forums

What exactly is Stopping Mode and why is it only available on Ravens?

What exactly is Stopping Mode and why is it only available on Ravens?

I've seen a few posts on here about people getting a new feature called "Stopping Mode" with their latest update, and I'm a little confused about exactly what it is. From the little bit I've read, it just seems like regular regenerative braking. I also don't see why it's only on Ravens.

Bighorn | 17. November 2019

Regenerative braking that actually stops the car and engages Brake Hold. Requires a PM motor to achieve the slow speed stop without using brakes.

TeslaTap.com | 17. November 2019

To add a bit, the pre-Raven Model S only used inductive motors, and the design of this type of motor can't offer regenerative braking below about 5 mph. Below this, it very slowly coasts to a stop on level ground below 5 mph.

The PM (Permanent Magnet) motor now in use for the front of the car in Raven (and in all Model 3s) will smoothly slow the car to stop, providing a tiny bit of additional regeneration.

sbeggs | 17. November 2019

Good explanation, @TeslaTap and @Bighorn, thanks.

crazy canaler | 17. November 2019

Thanks for the excellent responses. My S is a Dec. 2018, and most of the time, I use TACC to stop. In lighter traffic and shorter lights, I usually brake a little early then gas a little so I'm still moving when the light turns green.

Bighorn | 17. November 2019

I have well over 300k miles of one pedal driving under my belt, the former iteration before stopping mode was recently introduced. It’s considerably more demanding to stop on a dime or roll gently in reverse now, since there’s now a fairly aggressive regen in both slow forward and reverse. It takes much more modulation of the one pedal vs the precision of a slow coast and a stab at the brake. The initial tendency is to stop short and then have to apply more throttle, which is tricky if you just want to move a few more inches or feet. Backing up to a charging pedestal is much trickier, especially if you aren’t a fan of Chill mode and/or drive a P.

jjs | 17. November 2019

You have me by 35k @Bighorn

p.c.mcavoy | 18. November 2019

The explanations which focus on the difference of the PM motor on the Ravens really doesn't explain why the feature is only offered on new models.

Lack of a PM motor does mean that you can't totally stop the car and engage hold mode via only the motor control. However, that does not mean that they couldn't provide the same functionality on the pre-Raven models. I understand the feature would actually need to engage the brakes at some point, but that's exactly what TACC or with AP/EAP does in stop and go traffic.

That to me proves it is technically feasible for pre-Raven models to have the functionality of Stop mode. The real answer to the question is that Tesla has made a conscious decision to only offer the feature on Raven models. I'm not trying to argue that as a good or bad choice on Tesla's part, simply to say put out there that is has to be due to some justification other than PM vs. Induction motor control.

A-Wimoweh | 18. November 2019

The difference might be that the computer that is controlling the balance between regen and the brake pedal knows exactly where it wants to stop. But if you are in control, it can't read your mind, so it might be a jerky experience as it cycles from accelerating to braking and back to get the distance right. Totally speculation on my part.
Anyhow, based on Bighorn's comment, it doesn't sounds like something I'd want to use anyway. This isn't going to save the brakes from wearing.

TeslaTap.com | 18. November 2019

@p.c.mcavoy - I agree that it is likely technically possible. It would mean using the motor to slow the car that last 5 mph. This would consume extra power as you can't get regen in this area with an inductive motor and would reduce the EPA range slightly. Not sure reducing EPA range is allowed and it would open Tesla up to legal liabilities.

Ignoring all those issues, it requires software work and testing that doesn't benefit new cars. I just don't see Tesla spending time on such a feature. They have plenty of other work to do.

EVRider | 18. November 2019

After driving my wife's Model 3, I just have to remember to use the brakes in my pre-Raven Model S when stopping. :-)

marcustcohn | 18. November 2019

Having driven Chevy Bolts for about 20k miles I am a big fan of one pedal driving. I have not tried Tesla's implementation yet and I agree it takes a little bit of training but once you get the hang of it you don;t want to drive any other way.

EVRider | 18. November 2019

My wife’s previous car was an i3, and with Stopping Mode her Model 3 feels similar with respect to stopping (except the i3 doesn’t go into Hold Mode after stopping). I don’t recall if the i3’s regen felt as strong when in reverse, but it might have, which may be why I haven’t had much trouble getting used to the new behavior in the Model 3.

Yodrak. | 18. November 2019

"I agree that it is likely technically possible. ... it requires software work and testing that doesn't benefit new cars"

But it would benefit not so old cars whose owners have paid for FSD.

bp | 19. November 2019

Pre-Raven vehicles slow, come to a complete stop and resume automatically when TACC is engaged in heavy traffic.

Even if this isn't completely done with regen, Tesla should provide this feature to all TACC-enabled vehicles.

Ckersey727 | 19. November 2019

what is raven? I am getting a 2020 Model S in 3 weeks I didn't see any raven option

Bighorn | 19. November 2019

Raven is the newer S and X introduced earlier this year.

kfranz | 19. November 2019

Why is my Stopping Mode greyed out?

@kfranz
Were you in Park?

Boonedocks | 19. November 2019

If it was greyed out @kfranz was more likely in drive.

Exactly my point. I think it says you need to be in Park to change it and hence why it would be greyed out otherwise.

EVRider | 19. November 2019

@Ckersey727: Before posting a question in a thread, it helps to read the previous replies. In most cases the question was already answered, as it was here.

SnowFlake | 19. November 2019

PM motor can be stoped by applying no voltage to coil, magnetic force will keep the amateur in place without rotating. On the other hand induction motor by the design we cannot apply a voltage and stop. The amateurs of the induction motor are designed to rotate when it see the voltage. Even without a voltage they rotate freely.
So it is very hard to detect when to apply the break(hold), When there is no vehicle in front of the car, Or without the feed back from the radar. It may be possible when they prioritize the camera feedback as like the mobile eye system...
But Tesla abandon that idea after the breakup from mobile eye.

SnowFlake | 19. November 2019

Auto correction is dumb.
Break up with mobile eye.
We cannot apply a voltage and stop.= without applying a voltage cannot be stoped.

gigwatt | 21. Dezember 2019

I have a model x delivered in 2018. Does anyone know if "Stop mode" will be available for this car. Have had 2 downloads since announced and it has not shown up. Thank you

EVRider | 21. Dezember 2019

@chetpensak: Already answered numerous times above, but no.