Forums

One pedal driving

One pedal driving

Does anyone have 100% (full stop) one pedal driving for the MS?

Bighorn | 21. November 2019

People with Ravens have given their feedback

adamslighting | 21. November 2019

Will order MS (2016) receive "full" one pedal driving?

PrescottRichard | 21. November 2019

It will not as of today.

Bighorn | 21. November 2019

Not in its current form since the approach can not be done without the permanent magnet motor. It could be achieved with a different strategy, though it might require expenditure rather than recovery of energy.

NoMoPetrol | 21. November 2019

Why would the type of electric motor make all that much difference?

The motor spins as a direct function of the amount of electricity sent to it (via the accelerator pedal). Take your foot off the accelerator, the motor (and anything attached to it) stops spinning, except as the result of prior momentum.

My understanding - perhaps mistakenly - was that the very early Model S had full one-pedal driving. Problems started showing up with brake calipers that were rusting, sticking, etc. due to a lack of use. Tesla solved the problem by forcing the use of the brake pedal at speeds <7 mph.

GM installs coated brake calipers on their Bolts which avoid above-mentioned problems.

nukequazar | 21. November 2019

With an AC induction motor, regenerative braking cannot occur below a certain speed, called the synchronous speed.

NoMoPetrol | 21. November 2019

Why does the loss of regenerative braking necessarily mean that the car still won't come to a complete stop once the foot is off the accelerator? Witness the "performance" of a typical electric golf cart under these circumstances.

bobgray1939 | 21. November 2019

did my post about 3G upgrade to 4G not get posted.
Well if not then here it is again. Can I upgrade from 3G to 4G . Cost? What change will I see? Is it worth it?

EVRider | 21. November 2019

@bobgray: Why not post your question in a more appropriate thread? It has nothing to do with this one.

@NoMoPetrol, those are probably permanent magnet motors like in the Model 3 and the front of Raven Model S.

Regenerative braking is also called magnetic braking, and only permanent magnet motors come to a complete stop when electricity is removed from the circuit. AC induction motors slow but do not come to a stop.