Forums

Having trouble using my iPhone as a key all of a sudden

Having trouble using my iPhone as a key all of a sudden

Hi Everyone,

My iPhone X has worked flawlessly ever since I got my Model 3 in October of 2018, but for whatever reason, the last two weeks I have been having trouble. Now about half the time when I walk up to the car to get in, it says I need my key card. I basically have to get my phone out and open the app and then the door opens. Also, even if I am able to get in the car without issue, when I try to drive it or put it in reverse, it is asking me to put my key card on the center console. Again, I pull out my phone, tap on the app, and then my seat moves in to proper position so I can drive.

Under bluetooth on my phone, I use to see my Model 3, my apple watch, and 3 other items that I have no idea what they were with a whole bunch of letters and numbers. Now I only have 1 of those 3 items along with my watch and tesla.

I have deleted my phone as a key from the car yesterday and tried getting in...no dice. I removed the app from my phone and reinstalled it and then set the phone up as a key again in the car. I will see if that works later today when I have to step out.

Has anyone else started having this issue? Is there a fix for it? It is becoming very annoying.

Thanks in advance everyone!! Hope you all have a very nice Thanksgiving!

Magic 8 Ball | 26. November 2019

Have you tried rebooting both car and phone?

lilbean | 26. November 2019

Mine too, Android.

Joshan | 26. November 2019

when this happened to me a reboot of the phone corrected the issue.

Pkalhan | 26. November 2019

Thanks guys, I have rebooted to phone but have not tried getting into the car yet. I think I will do a reboot of the car as well.

When I was having trouble like that our car, somehow, had two profiles for me with same name. I deleted both and created a new single profile and everything was good since.

@Magic 8 Ball....where do you look to see how many profiles your car has for you? Under the locks section in the car? Currently, it has my iPhone and card key along with my wife's iPhone and card key.

Yes, under locks. You don't have an easy entry profile?

This is going to sound stupid, but is an "easy entry profile"? Is that when the seat moves back when I put the car in park and moves it up when I get into the car? If so, I do have that set up.

neezer | 26. November 2019

Are you using VPN apps by any chance? I noticed mine affects the comms with the vehicle if it's enabled...

Yes, it is when the seat moves when you get in and out; that should show up in the locks section as separate profile called easy entry.

Another thing to check for is if airplane mode is on/off.
Is you wife's phone working fine, does she also have an X?

I think it is all good now...thank god! I removed the app from my phone. I removed my phone as a key on the Tesla. I rebooted the Tesla and iPhone. I reinstalled the app on my phone (left it on "Always on" and then added phone on to Tesla. It has worked without issue since. We will see what happens tomorrow. Thanks for the input everyone, I appreciate it and want to wish all of you a Happy Thanksgiving!