Forums

What do you think it would cost to tastefully extend my garage 3 feet?

What do you think it would cost to tastefully extend my garage 3 feet?

I’ve thought about extending my garage so my ICE truck can fit in it. Now with CT coming I’m much more serious.

Have multiple garages but the one I’m thinking is a 2 car with stucco exterior and tile roof. With HOA approval what ballpark do you think it would cost? 36 inches will give me 20 extra inches for Cybertruck.

Sparky | 26. November 2019

Get 3 contractors to give you an estimate. Then take the lowest estimate and multiply by 2. Should be pretty close.

Sarah R | 26. November 2019

Get an estimate from a contractor. There's more going on they're than you think. Remember that you'll need to pour a slab that's right next to the existing slab. Don't be surprised if it heaves or settles over time. It might crack, too. And your HOA will freak out when they hear about anything touching the original slab.

Smhach | 26. November 2019

I don't do tasteful

andy.connor.e | 26. November 2019

If by tasteful you mean rip it out and start over, do that. Maybe burn it down first.

Magic 8 Ball | 26. November 2019

it will depend where you live and what rate are in your area.

12Brent | 26. November 2019

I need to do the same thing. If you google "garage bump out extension" you can see the easiest way to add space. If you have room opposite of the garage door to extend that garage (like a detached garage) it isn't that involved. I'm planning on doing it myself and it'll just cost a few hundred dollars for supplies. Still hoping they come out with a shorter truck though...

model3AZ42 | 26. November 2019

Lol these responses. I have 2+ years. Just opening discussion vs hiring a contractor.

It will be on the front and existing slab is there. My driveway is about 25 feet long from the street to garage door.

Garage floor is same concrete as driveway.

You will most likely have to demo 3 feet,or so, of driveway and replace with new slab properly reinforced unless you can prove it is structurally sound to support a building load. you will also need new foundation under the extended walls.

That makes sense.

That makes sense.

It will really depend a lot on what your local building dept. allows. Up in OR my brother in law can go into his building dept. with a sketch and get approval, here,where I live in CA I have to get a soils engineer and structural engineer to sign off on something like that. The more you can do yourself (plans, reviews, etc.) the more you will save.

Yeah, my situation is a lot easier. I just need a few inches... I won't need to actually drive on the extension; I just need some room to pull in a little further. I added a third bay to our garage for $14k when I ordered the 3... if I had only known. LOL.

jimglas | 26. November 2019

@Sparky: "take the lowest estimate and multiply by 2"
You must have used the same contractor as I did

Sarah R | 26. November 2019

Something about guys needing inches ...

I almost added it for my ICE but wouldn’t have gone 3 feet. I would not be happy!!

Lorenzryanc | 26. November 2019

Move? It's still 2-3 years away so it's a possibility :) Maybe just a longer charging cable and park outside.

parmesan | 26. November 2019

CYBRTRK does not need a garage ;)

@Sarah R R yu telling us inches don't matter

@parmesan. I agree. It’s just so hot here in the summer and I don’t like the idea of any of my cars sitting outside, much less one with this tech and battery. If I can get it done for a few grand it will be a no brainer.

sbeggs | 26. November 2019

It's not the length it's the width

Lulz

Pg3ibew | 26. November 2019

Knocl down this FARGING WALL. Knock dwn that Farging wall.

coselectric | 26. November 2019

Easier solution: Just build a ramp in the garage and drive the thing up the ramp to park. Remember the Pythagorean theorem? Use it to figure out how high to make the ramp so that the cyberbeast fits.

4 low.

4 low.

4 low.

PteRoy | 26. November 2019

I’ll do it for you bro. I once installed a dishwasher. That’s my résumé.

ADinM3 | 26. November 2019

Extending 3' is probably 90% the cost of extending 6'. If you have the space, make sure you go large enough.

Pg3ibew | 26. November 2019

Go big or go home!!

bjrosen | 26. November 2019

If you have a contractor that you trust ask for an estimate. If you don't have a contractor then ask you neighbors for recommendations. I've been using the same contractor for 30 years, he renovated most of my house in the 90s (my house is 200 years old) and I've had him do all of my fixes since then. I went through a series of incompetents before I found him, he's expensive but hew a real craftsman. I'm not concerned with getting the cheapest price, I'm concerned with getting the job done right. Same thing with by painter, roofer and electrician, once I found quality guys I've stuck with them. If your neighbors don't have anyone that they have high confidence in then you'll have to get several quotes and then go with the guy who seems to know what he's doing. Whenever I've violated my rule and gone with a low bidder I've regretted it.

patswin | 26. November 2019

Unfortunate you have to extend on front end. Much less flexibility and it will cost close to $1000 just too uninstall and reinstall the garage door.

If you could extend the back end then you can step in side walls 6” or so so new stucco doesn’t have to blend in with existing stucco. Then you can possibly add shed roof so you don’t have to tie into existing roof. You would also need some lvls to support the existing roof where you take out back wall. This would be the cheapest way to go but would likely cost at least $4-5k to do

patswin | 26. November 2019

Unfortunate you have to extend on front end. Much less flexibility and it will cost close to $1000 just too uninstall and reinstall the garage door.

If you could extend the back end then you can step in side walls 6” or so so new stucco doesn’t have to blend in with existing stucco. Then you can possibly add shed roof so you don’t have to tie into existing roof. You would also need some lvls to support the existing roof where you take out back wall. This would be the cheapest way to go but would likely cost at least $4-5k to do

ElectricAlex | 26. November 2019

Its stainless steel, park it backward and run a cord under closed garage door. Your welcome for ~$10,000 fix.

That is my fix as a ~20’ vehicle in my garage will intrude on my welding station and i don’t feel like rearranging my garage

mrburke | 26. November 2019

@model3AZ42- $$$ 2 to 3 times what you would expect $$$

For me, no driveways in the city, just alleys. If it doesn't fit in the garage then I can't charge it.

SalisburySam | 27. November 2019

Suggest one approach might be to talk with a new home builder in your area. Ask what figure they use per square foot for garage space. As an example, in Central Ohio about seven years ago garage space (unseated, on slab, some windows, garage door, no attic above, open roof) was about $60/sq. ft. Use the appropriate number for your area and with today’s pricing, times the number of square feet you wish to add. That’s a decent base number. Then add estimates for the remaining work. This could include demo’ing at least one wall, any upgrades you wish such as more electrical service to the area, epoxy floor coatings, additional and better lighting, insulated roof, permitting, washer and dryer for the hundreds of microfiber cloths you’ll go through, etc., etc. Could be twice the base number you calculated earlier, but this might give you an order-of-magnitude estimate for planning purposes.

You mentioned you have a tile roof. There just isn’t a more expensive roof to extend. We have a tile roof and it is absurd how much any repair work costs because of breakage due to the fragility of the tiles when you walk on them and labor costs to accomplish the work. Few roofers are good at tile roofing, so do some homework before you select one. And then just be prepared to pay whatever they ask.

Or just park the vehicle outside...it’s a freakin’ truck.