Forums

Just mentioning

Just mentioning

For the last 6 months I've had the free Tesla Control app from the Microsoft store on my Windows 10 PC. Seemingly, it mimics all the screens/features as the Google phone app displays. As I'm old and spend lots of time on the PC with a 24" monitor, I prefer being able to make all the settings and monitor SOC, climate, etc. vs the LG phone and tablet. I haven't encountered any issues so here's a shoutout!

Magic 8 Ball | 26. November 2019

Link?

Sarah R | 26. November 2019

It might be worth posting a DNS query log of said app to see who it's sharing your information with.

rfpmoxie | 26. November 2019

Link?
It's in the Microsoft Store (on-line) and is known as Tesla Control.

Yes, that's it.

Magic 8 Ball | 26. November 2019

I have never seen anyone mention it before, did not know it even existed.

coselectric | 26. November 2019

There's a Microsoft store with apps for Windows 10 PCs? Whuh?

bpaul | 26. November 2019

While the app developer promises not to share or sell your information, the app uses Microsoft and Google ad networks and their associated tracking technology to (at minimum) serve personalized ads.

https://www.teslacontrol.app/privacy

Sarah R | 26. November 2019

@bpaul That's hysterical. Actually, it's not funny at all. Because in order to understand how far and wide your information is being shared you have to chase down the privacy policies of all of those ad serving networks. And then chase down the privacy policies of their clients. I currently block more than 110,000 "content delivery networks" because even one "web beacon" served up by that app can track everything you do.

I read the statement referenced but, perhaps because I haven't purchased add ons for alerts/stats/leaderboards during my 6+months of use I haven't seen one ad or solicitation. I found this as I googled looking for Tesla apps for my PC and have used it without any concern. Perhaps, I'm being naïve but it works for me.

bpaul | 27. November 2019

@rfpmoxie: Ah, the presence of paid add-ons is a good sign! It perhaps reveals that the developer imagines a (probably tiny) revenue stream that isn't selling you out.

The issue with discussing online privacy concerns generally is whether you're considering absolute or marginal levels of abuse. If you're not doing anything special to stop trackers, and you've already bought a car that's always connected to the internet and sending information about you where you cannot control it, you're not going to lose additional privacy. If you've done well to step around data traps in other places, well, here's another hole covered with branches and leaves you might fall in.