Forums

M3 deceleration has slowed after V10 software

M3 deceleration has slowed after V10 software

Has anyone else noticed after V10 that their M3 does not decelerate as quickly when you take your foot off the accelerator? To me it feels like I'm in the low regenerative braking setting. But when you look on screen it says it's standard. I can switch to low and see the "saving" message. Then I switch to standard and see the "saving" message again. But driving highway speed, when I let off the accelerator I'm using the brake substantially more now than prior to the update.

Tonight I just received a new update but only 3 items appear to be on it so I'm not counting on it changing anything on my vehicle.

Anyone else experiencing the same thing?

Thanks
John

Renebq91702 | 10. Dezember 2019

Now that you mention it, I have noticed a difference. It doesn't appear to slow down a rapidly as it did before. Maybe a TTech can answer that for us.

1089 | 10. Dezember 2019

Check your settings for Stopping mode. You should have a choice of Creep, Roll, or Hold. Make sure you have hold checked. With that setting, your deceleration should be higher than what you are used to, and it will come to a complete stop without the brake and switch to hold mode.

rmg007 | 10. Dezember 2019

Definitely less regen

SysConsultant | 10. Dezember 2019

I’ve noticed less regen braking as well. But I’ve been attributing it to the colder weather. The outside air temperature is -8F right now where I live.

Could it be that we are attributing regen slowdown to the recent software updates when some or all of what we are experiencing could be caused by lower battery temperatures?

spuzzz123 | 11. Dezember 2019

+1 sysconsultant colder weather. Even slightly cooler weather (say 50 f) can reduce regen on local drives.

On hold mode at slower speeds (under 15 mph) it’s pretty strong. I wonder if it actually uses friction braking at slow speeds because it always seems to work well even at very cold temps.

gmr6415 | 11. Dezember 2019

@spuzzz123, If I remember correctly the release notes stated that before the update regeneration dropped out at 5mph, and after the update regeneration remains in effect all the way to a stop and then then "hold" applies the brakes. If my memory is correct it isn't using friction brakes to bring you to a stop.

Regeneration also works in reverse, which it never did before, and I don't think it's applying friction brakes there either.

Pg3ibew | 11. Dezember 2019

Cold weather.

VolleyballNE1 | 11. Dezember 2019

look at your regen level on the left of the speed. if you have lots of dots, you aren't getting full regen.
This is due to cold battery or battery is too fully charged.

PECo CT | 11. Dezember 2019

@VolleyballNE1
What do you mean by “too fully charged”? Do you know at what charge level regen becomes unavailable or begins to taper off?

I charge to 80 percent and live on a steep hill. On a few occasions, recently, it has felt like regen cut out completely as I reached the bottom of the hill. It kinda made me feel like a failure at one-pedal driving. ; (

AWDTesla | 11. Dezember 2019

Sounds like your topped up in battery or driving a cold soaked battery. As mentioned above, take a look at the left line, if theres dots, regen is limited.

VolleyballNE1 | 11. Dezember 2019

@PECo CT
the closer you get to 100% charge, the more dots you get for regen. So the regen experience is affected by your settng(Standard is suggested), and the number of dots. No dots(Full straight line)= full regen experience.
So Check the amount of dots vs a solid line and you'll know what to expect to get out of regen(So you know if you have to hit the brakes or not from last time you went down that hill.

PECo CT | 11. Dezember 2019

Thanks. I’ll take a look at the indicator, the next time.

john | 11. Dezember 2019

I'm glad I asked this question. I don't quite believe temperature is causing the issue. I live in Phoenix. While it's not 115 any more, it's still 70 for a high. I noticed this immediately after the V10 update I accepted. However, I do understand what you mean when you fully charge your battery. If I'm traveling for a number of days, especially in the summer, I charge to 100% the night before. As I'm driving to the airport, I have more dots to the left of the car on the regent level. And I can feel it doesn't slow down nearly as quickly. I do this because I was seeing a decent amount of range loss over a week while I was traveling and I was worried I'd come back to a car that didn't have much range left and I'd be concerned about returning home. On top of that, my garage is showing 70 degrees right now so the temp is very mild/moderate and the car is at that same temperature.

However, I did check and I was set at roll and not hold. So that may very well resolve the issue. I'll find out on the drive to work this morning.

I have noticed a continuing drop in range when I charge each night. I charge to 90% and I have a standard range plus that I purchased in May 2019. I was seeing about 212 miles at 90% and it's now down to 197-199 miles at 90%. When it dropped below 200 I asked a coworker who also has a Model 3. He purchased his about 6 months prior to my purchase. He too dropped to 199 and wasn't sure why.

Ri6ll instead of hold will absolutely do what you're describing.

*roll

LoveMyM3 | 11. Dezember 2019

I also notice a drop in regen for the last few weeks, couldn't tell which update screwed it. Also, you get regen limited warning even at 50% SOC if outside temp is cold. It was unusual to get that below SOC80% in the past even in the coldest weather.

stellings | 12. Dezember 2019

I noticed a sharp drop in regen this morning after the software update...I almost blew thru a stop sign.. Im so used to taking my foot off the accelerator and having the car stop itself. I'll check the Hold thing - but would a software update switch a setting like that? Im in a 2015 MS and battery capacity is fading as well.

charles | 21. Dezember 2019

M3SR+ with about 8,000 km on it (5,000 mi). Delivered April 2019. I also noticed a fairly sudden reduction in regen and a battery capacity after the V10 update or one of its versions. I now get essentially no or very little regen below 10 degrees C (50F) and limited regen below 20C (68F) until the battery starts to warm up. This does not tend to happen on my typical 5 minute commute. I almost never charge above 80%. That used to get me 312 km (195 mi) and now it typically gets me about 298 km (184 mi). This puts my theoretical range when new at about 390 km (242 mi), and now at about 373 km (230 mi), which would be about a 4.4% projected range decrease. Seems like a lot to me.

The car has been supercharged 4 times: twice at a Service Center and twice at a Supercharger, once with a pre-conditioned battery. I have not seen the promised range increase, and have charged the car to 100% to see the full estimated range. Since it has become available, I always use the HOLD regen setting. It is marvellous.

We also own a Smart ED 2014 which will regen at almost any temperature as long as SOC is below 95%. Different battery chemistry and motor type are probably factors, as well as winter temps, especially in the case of the Tesla. Will try a 100% programmed charge next time I have a road trip to do, and see what range is estimated. According to Bjorn Nylund, the system benefits from a bit of recalibration from time to time.

charles | 21. Dezember 2019

Oops. Meant to say I have NOT charged the car to 100%, but plan to.

tslammer | 21. Dezember 2019

After the V10 update I noticed a definite decrease in regen braking. At first I thought that the setting had changed after the update...but no it was the same. Personally I'd rather have more aggressive regen braking so I never have to use my brakes cause I can always feather the accelerator pedal to adjust my stopping distance. However, after I purchased the Acceleration Boost upgrade, regeneration braking seems to be back where it used to be.

coleAK | 21. Dezember 2019

Yes even in Phoenix it’s winter. As for cold regen is reduced even at 60F. Every morning when I pull out of my heated garage at 57F I have a ~1/3 reduction on my regen bar. My garage is radiant in floor heat so pretty comfortable my battery is at least 57F given it’s close proximity to the heat source.

When you are experiencing reduced regen is there a “dotted” section on the regen side of the display bar?

FISHEV | 21. Dezember 2019

"As for cold regen is reduced even at 60F. Every morning when I pull out of my heated garage at 57F I have a ~1/3 reduction on my regen bar."

But that should not effect regen much as it would take hard braking to get into that area of regen. I do think they softened regen at high speed, slowing on the freeway from 70 to 60 but increased it below 30 mph to help the full stop on regen.

Be nice if Tesla would explain it so owners could maximize regen.

coleAK | 21. Dezember 2019

@Fish, that is a good thing, reducing regen at higher speeds and increasing it at lower speeds. There is much more control with the traditional brakes then regen.

FISHEV | 21. Dezember 2019

“That is a good thing, reducing regen at higher speeds and increasing it at lower speeds“

I;m guessing it is done to increase range which is what Tesla said with the update note, that new regen would make small range increase. So that is how to best use regen, save up momentum for the very last part of the stop.

M3phan | 21. Dezember 2019

Regen is affected by cold regardless of soc, unless you charged a while right before leaving