Forums

Wipers are not sensitive to the rain?

Wipers are not sensitive to the rain?

If I turn on the wiper, it doesn't stop if there is no rain? My previous cars worked differently. Doesn't Tesla wipers have sensors to sense rain or something that will make them stop if there is no need to "wipe"?

bjrosen | 11. Dezember 2019

Tesla uses the cameras instead of a rain sensor, it doesn't work nearly as well. The 40.2.1 is supposed to be better.

Sarah R | 11. Dezember 2019

Set them to Auto

Frank99 | 11. Dezember 2019

If you turn the wipers to a specific speed, they're in manual mode, and the car expects you to take care of them. If you put the wipers in Auto mode, the car will take car of turning them on/off and choosing a speed. Well, that's the theory any way - different people have different experiences with how well it works.

robert rogus | 11. Dezember 2019

I find that auto wipers leaves too much water on the window and I have to switch to manual modes. I wish we could adjust sensitivity of auto mode.

neezer | 11. Dezember 2019

Do you have the latest 2019.40.2.1? It's gonna start learning, visually, from here on out with that software level. Also I think it'll be learning based on your manual wiping actions vs the moisture it thinks it detects.

Varricks | 14. Dezember 2019

You'll be finding many things in a Tesla that work "differently".

When you use the left stalk's pushbutton to swipe the screen, it brings up the speed control on the bottom-left of the control panel. The leftmost setting is slowest, the rightmost is for auto sensing. Make sure after trying it that you start a new thread about how poorly the auto setting works, it's kind of like a rite of passage on this Forum.

FISHEV | 14. Dezember 2019

After 2019.40.x.x the Beta Auto wipers do work better at sensing light rain and activating. Never had Auto Wipers before so no comparison but previously they'd go crazy when you turned them on Auto and then not wipe enough relative to the rain.

Working better with latest update to the point I can leave them in Auto which I could not do before.

EVRider | 14. Dezember 2019

Just remember to turn off Auto mode before you drive through a car wash. :-)

"Just remember to turn off Auto mode before you drive through a car wash. "

And in freezing weather.

Now there would be a nice "smart car" feature. Have the Auto wiper selection turn itself off if temp drops below freezing.

jallred | 14. Dezember 2019

Working better with latest update to the point I can leave them in Auto which I could not do before. - fish

I agree. Much improved in daytime. Still a little way to go at night. Feels so good to agree with you.

gmr6415 | 14. Dezember 2019

@neezer, It's already been learning through the neural network (using over 1 million images) and will continue to do so for future updates.

Some are mistaking that for each car having learning capabilities which is incorrect.

From the update notes in 2019.40.2.1:

Automatic Wiper Improvements
Automatic wipers have been improved to be more likely to activate when it is lightly raining and respond to changes in rain intensity for more environments. The automatic wipers are now employing the first production deep neural network trained with over 1 million images for the detection of the water droplets on a windshield and additional weather cues. If automatic wipers is not performing to your preference, any manual adjustments to wiper speed will be captured to further train and improve the network in future software updates.

aydickerson1 | 14. Dezember 2019

just picked up our Model 3 and Auto on wipers does not work properly. Downloading 40.xx update tonight hope it fixes it.

aydickerson1 | 14. Dezember 2019

just picked up our Model 3 and Auto on wipers does not work properly. Downloading 40.xx update tonight hope it fixes it.

Tronguy | 14. Dezember 2019

Light mists and light rain all day today and was running around in the M3 with 2019.40.2.1. I think the word, "improvement", should be used. Very light mist and the wipers would definitely up and run from time to time, but not as often as needed. A little heavier and the wipers worked fine. Still better than the previous release and 'way better than, say, January 2019.
In the release notes it was stated, I think, that there would be some in-car learning (on board neural network?). So I've been making a point to push the wiper button when I think it's gotten too thick on the windshield. We'll see if or when it starts doing a better job.

rehutton777 | 14. Dezember 2019

You all do realize that when the wipers are on "auto", a simple press of the button on the end of the left stalk will activate the wipers for one cycle, right? I find this very helpful for very light mist that accumulates prior to wipers coming on when there is more accumulation on the windshield than I like. I have zero complaints with the wiper functionality.

Tronguy | 14. Dezember 2019

@rehutton: Yep, I'm aware. And, in principle, the car should be able to detect a misted-so-one-can-barely-see-out windshield and run the wipers often enough so one's view out front isn't obstructed.
So, in varying amounts of precipitation, the system works right, what, maybe 80% of the time with the 40.2.1 release. That's better than 60% earlier this year.
So, what I've been doing is when I can't see, hit the button as you suggested. The release notes seem to imply that if one is doing this often enough, the system learns to do it more. Or something.

Big_Ed | 15. Dezember 2019

Machine Learning at both levels is possible, but the type of learning would be different.

Training a deep neural network is computationally expensive and requires manual tuning to optimize performance. That would be done at Tesla, and the resulting model would be deployed fleet-wide to perform inference. Retraining would be done at Tesla using selected user imagery and deployed with updates.

However, it would be very simple to use an adjustment factor to account for individual user preference, and to increment that factor up or down in response to manual interventions. The output of a neural network image recognition algorithm is a number between zero and one, with anything over 0.5 meaning yes and anything under meaning no. If you frequently override the auto wipers, your user profile could add .05 to the output to bias the output.

RedPillSucks | 16. Dezember 2019

One interesting aspect of this is there's no way for the "user" to train the system to be less responsive.
Particularly, if you find the system comes on too early, or what happens more often, too many wipes for the amount of rain/mist there's no button to press to say "stop that" unless it's capturing settings changes from Auto to some manual setting. I don't think it does that.

jrweiss98020 | 16. Dezember 2019

Prior to the 40.2 software, the auto wipers were marginal - I almost always had to go to a manual setting. With 40.2, they are ALMOST as good as the ones on my old 2010 Lexus. Maybe in 1 more iteration they will be better...

rehutton777 | 16. Dezember 2019

Funny - - after the 40.2..1 update, my wipers will now sometimes come on as I am starting to pull out of the garage after extended parking. I don't know what the cameras are seeing on the windshield - - I sure can't see anything. It's slightly annoying, but no big issue. But, I didn't have any issues with the "less sensitive" wipers.

ADinM3 | 16. Dezember 2019

I have a new theory on reduced wiper performance in low misting conditions.

While the wipers algo continues to improve, in the low misting conditions, a large percentage of moisture accumulating on the window is a result of spray from the vehicle in front of you and not actually coming from the sky. As a result, I have been noticing that vehicle spray is more pronounced lower on the windshield versus the very top where the camera is located due to air flow over the hood.

This certainly doesn't explain all situations, but I wonder if much of what we observe is simply the result of the fact the camera location high on the windshield doesn't see as much road spray in very light misting conditions.

I would be interested in an independent observation on this one. I.e. windshield water density lower in line of site versus up near the camera under very light misting conditions.

eandmjep | 17. Dezember 2019

With 40.2.1 they work almost to much. But way better than any update so far.