Forums

Windshield wiper stalk button turns on headlights

Windshield wiper stalk button turns on headlights

Starting I believe a few software releases ago, the windshield wiper stalk button turns on the headlights. Yes, I know if it is raining the lights need to be on, but it doesn't seem that they turn back off. No lack of rain sensing. Use the window washer, headlight are on.

Anyone else notice this? I will likely do a bug report.

Mike UpNorth_ | 14. Dezember 2019

You're probably flipping the stalk forward engaging the brights. I've done it a handful of times.

M3phan | 14. Dezember 2019

Yes, agree, you’re flipping the brights. Don’t you have your headlights set to auto?

brscpo | 14. Dezember 2019

I believe the headlights activate with the wipers...a number of sates require headlight use when using wipers - ie Florida

RichardKJ | 14. Dezember 2019

The lights go on with the first wipe and go off a minute or so after the last wipe.

ytr3wq | 15. Dezember 2019

@mike & @M3phan - it is possible it activated more than one function. I know I've done the following:
- while using the turn signal, accidentally hit the wiper button
- then wipers do one wipe, I believe. Then the "auto" headlights come one.
- a wait a bit (perhaps not long enough), the lights are still on
- dig thru menu to turn lights to Off and then back to Auto

Thanks @RichardKJ, I will have to wait longer to see if they go off after the last wipe.

I'm may have been impatient. Ever since my "set to auto" lights would stay on in daylight due to a faulty camera module, I obsess about that "auto" sensor

I RichardKJ is correct, I hope future tweeks to the wiper auto/manual logic includes:
button hit for one wipe/wash check sooner to see if raining. If not, turn off the headlights.

too many typos. come one = come on, I RichardKJ = If RichardKJ
maybe others, at least I didn't hit the wiper button ...

FISHEV | 15. Dezember 2019

- while using the turn signal, accidentally hit the wiper button
- then wipers do one wipe, I believe. Then the "auto" headlights come one.
- a wait a bit (perhaps not long enough), the lights are still on
- dig thru menu to turn lights to Off and then back to Auto

Been there. Done that. Gets to the separate stalks issue for some controls. Wipers, lights, shift, mirrors would be ones that own.

@FISHEV
Nope, there are exactly the correct number of hardware controls. All that is needed is an occasional software tweek, which Tesla provides free to all. That is why we are discussing the possible future software tweeks. Those who want a button for each function, have many other car choices.

Sarah R | 15. Dezember 2019

I'm trying to imagine what the view grin ther driver's seat would be like in the Fish Mobile. There would be a separate control and indicator for everything. All hard wired. None of this fly-by-wire software gimmick. And cables and levers for those mechanical controls.

Prolly look something like this:

https://images.app.goo.gl/n9twWsNR1Wgw5JJRA

Rikki-Tikki-Tavi | 15. Dezember 2019

Sarah R, you still the best!

jimglas | 15. Dezember 2019

well done sarahR

guydude | 15. Dezember 2019

Yes! Very annoying! Tesla I don’t need my headlights turning on every time I activate my windshield wipers. Fix this!

Lonestar10_1999 | 15. Dezember 2019

In Pennsylvania the law is that if you need your windshield wipers then you must turn on your headlights too. Maybe Elon is applying a one-size-fits-all for the wiper algorithm.

M-A-B-MCMLXXX | 15. Dezember 2019

“ Maybe Elon is applying a one-size-fits-all for the wiper algorithm.”

I bet you Elon had nothing to do with this at all, excepting maybe hiring people involved in the software requirements definition.