Forums

getting updates with poor access to WiFi

getting updates with poor access to WiFi

We will be in FL for the next 3 or 4 months. I will have no access to my own WiFi (had the car transported down there from NY (lost only 5 miles in 6 days on s trailer). My options seem to be 1. log into my phone's hot spot. 2. Drive over to the local Tesla SC and request a WiFi connection. I've been told that free wiFi sources like Starbucks won't work.

Anybody have an alternative solution?

nicohc | 26. Dezember 2019

I park my car in a garage with no wifi. Ive been using my phone as hotspot and never had a problem. I connect it to wifi once I receive the notification of a new update only, you don't really need wifi for anything else other than once a month

Big_Ed | 26. Dezember 2019

Can you get updates at an SC?

EVRider | 26. Dezember 2019

It’s not quite correct that none of the free public WiFi sources don’t work. The ones that don’t work are those that present a screen where you have to accept terms and conditions.

Scrannel | 26. Dezember 2019

Never tried, but you can't use your car's browser for those pesky terms screens?

jithesh | 26. Dezember 2019

Try mobile hotspot..

Agree with EVRider. I always get my updates at Wholefoods. Good thing is that they have EV parking which is near their Wifi router and have 100 Mbps in the location I go to. I have also got OTA updates with public Wifi from my local City with less speed.

slingshot18 | 26. Dezember 2019

Phone hotspot works fine. Will download while driving.

syclone | 26. Dezember 2019

@slingshot18: Hopefully, the upgrade won't start while you are driving.

Thanks, all for the info.

Tesla2018 | 26. Dezember 2019

I connect at the Wendys drive in wen I get lunch. Burger K and Mickey D's don't work.

The service/delivery center is down the street from me, so I go there at 9PM and park by their front door and connect and have the employees that are still there wondering what I am doing Also they delivered cars by carrier around 11PM one night so I think the place is staffed all the time.

EVRider | 26. Dezember 2019

@Scrannel: You can't use the browser to accept the terms because you don't have a WiFi connection yet. In theory, Tesla could automatically display the browser if it detected this condition to allow you to accept terms, but they would need to implement that change.

yudansha™ | 26. Dezember 2019

@syclone You have to be parked for the software to start installing; you can only download it while driving.

FISHEV | 26. Dezember 2019

I use the phone hotspots all the time. No home WiFi as car is too far away. For whatever reason the car likes the ATT hotspot but not the Verizon hotspot even though the Verizon iPhone has a stronger signal. Usually two bars on ATT works.

Varricks | 30. Dezember 2019

My home wifi doesn't seem to reach the car. I've had good luck parking in front of the Buffalo Wild Wings shops.

mjs | 04. Januar 2020

Car does not recognize my home ATT wifi, even though the router is right above the garage and provides an excellent signal to my phone.

syclone | 05. Januar 2020

@mjs: Car does not recognize my home ATT wifi, even though the router is right above the garage and provides an excellent signal to my phone.

I have the same problem at home. My router is 10 feet away, but the car doesn't see it. I placed an extender 20 feet away and the car is happy with that.