Forums

Roof rack voids warranty?

Roof rack voids warranty?

When I took delivery of my a model 3 the agent said that installing the Tesla roof rack might void the car’s warranty and that I should read the warranty fine print. That can’t be right, does anyone know if that really is the case? I can’t even find the warranty fine print where it says anything about roof racks.

Maxxer | 05. Januar 2020

They say a roof rack my lower the range of your Battery
Ask @WW, he will tell you if the warranty is voided on your battery with an added roof rack

Magic 8 Ball | 05. Januar 2020

The warranty covers many different things. Installing the Tesla roof rack really would not affect anything if installed properly. It is possible, that if you don't put it on right or overload it, that your roof glass can crack and that would not be covered.

lessrandom | 05. Januar 2020

I can understand the range being reduced but not that a roof rack would void the battery warranty. In terms of dynamics it would kind of be like driving around at 10mph faster than other folks (added drag).

If installing the roof rack voids the warranty on the roof glass that makes sense to me.

Magic 8 Ball | 05. Januar 2020

@benjamin.damm Your battery warranty will not be affected by roof rack. Ignore Maxxer and his "ask @WW" comment, he is trying to hijack your thread to carry on a war has going with @WW. This forum can be crazy much of the time.

TexasBob | 05. Januar 2020

There is a thing called the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act which, among many other things, says that a manufacturer cannot invalidate your warranty just because you install an after-market device on your vehicle (e.g. different light bulbs, roof rack, wheels, you name it). IF the aftermarket device causes a specific problem which would otherwise be covered under the OEM warranty, then the OEM can deny coverage for that specific problem. So do not worry about it. If the rack breaks the top glass or the mount messes up the doors that is on you. Otherwise no reason to be concerned.

Maxxer | 05. Januar 2020

@Magic 8 Ball
"This forum can be crazy much of the time."
I would replace "much of" by all