Forums

I'm the only one liking the front?

I'm the only one liking the front?

Hi,

Am I the only one loving how the front of the car look like. Clean and aerodynamic without the grille.
Everyone seem to complain about it...

Thank you

Orion | 01. April 2016

it does look like a Disney duck bill though

Chunky Jr. | 01. April 2016

I'm neutral. I bet it looks better in person than in the pictures.

I assume it is cheaper to build and more aerodynamic than other designs.

logicalthinker | 01. April 2016

I think it's GORGEOUS.
People are LUDDITES.
EVEN those who think they aren't.

Captain_Zap | 01. April 2016

Everyone has a different idea as to what would be beautiful. Some want to see something more like a Roadster and others want to see the S or the X front end. I think they have a good compromise, which is likely the best way to go.

As the saying goes, "A camel is a horse designed by committee." I think we have a horse here.

NKYTA | 01. April 2016

+1 Zap

jordanrichard | 01. April 2016

Though I am sure the front end is very aerodynamic, but that nose looks like a wall. It is a lot of vertical surface. Perhaps they could break that up by placing a Tesla "T" in the middle of it, vs the present location on the hood. I think the X nose would go well.

ann | 01. April 2016

@dunic777 - I *love* it! now let's see if it actually still looks like that when they deliver

Mel. | 01. April 2016

I like the nose, best in class. Best in show.

PhillyGal | 01. April 2016

I was a little put off at first glance but it grew on me throughout the night. Definitely like it better than the MX front.

Spam filter won't let me share but I posted a 35 second close up video on YouTube. Search Electric Jen.

NKYTA | 01. April 2016

Well, there she is! ;-)

Ankit Mishra | 01. April 2016

I like it. And I think the final version will be better.

Solarwind | 01. April 2016

Defiantly needs a large T emblem.

Solarwind | 01. April 2016

Defiantly needs a large T emblem.

mrdaniel | 01. April 2016

Surprised no one has said how the front looks like a Porsche.

Chunky Jr. | 01. April 2016

A lot of people have compared to Porsche in other threads.

TesMD | 01. April 2016

I like the front as well. Think it actually looks better than the front on the X.

Ohms.Law | 01. April 2016

Remember this is an Alpha model, if not pre-Alpha. A lot will change between now and "soon". I also suspect the screen on the dash will look a little more integrated by then too.

PV_Dave @US-PA | 01. April 2016

It looks very nice in person.

Bonlaw | 01. April 2016

Love it!

Tom_CH | 01. April 2016

Looks good to me - however, I would not mind if it would get a bit more of MX looks

Tstolz | 01. April 2016

It looks good to me as well, but personally I'd tweak it to look even a bit more Porsche-like.

Madatgascar | 01. April 2016

Room for improvement, which is a good thing. Right now it's a little pig-nosed.

hateToShift | 01. April 2016

I dig it. Looks kinda Porsche-y to me :)

Frank99 | 01. April 2016

I'm sorry, the snout has to go. Man, it's ugly.

If my Model 3 looks like that, I'll be strongly tempted to have a set of buck teeth cut and attached, or perhaps a pair of big red lips.

Riccor | 01. April 2016

Seeing the front for the first time caused me to flash to a memory of the original Studebaker Avanti: a design that is still eye-catching and seems nearly new after 54 years.

KP in NPT | 01. April 2016

I love it! Maybe I'm odd - but I was hoping for a design that wasn't a weird mobile but wasn't "standard" either- something that said modern and electric but still Tesla - this is IT. One of those concepts that you see and say, "now that looks awesome - why don't they just build a car like that" when you know the end result will look boring and bland. Not this. I think they knocked it out of the park. Elon said it wouldn't look like other cars - and this is the part that makes it stand out. Grills are an ICE car relic that we are all accustomed to - but totally unnecessary on an EV. And after watching the videos of the rides that show the car from all angles, I like it even more.

PBEndo | 01. April 2016

It looks unfinished to me, like something needs to be added to the front. HOWEVER, when the first ones are delivered, we will have been seeing the front of the X for 2 years and it will look totally normal by then.

Tropopause | 01. April 2016

New car designs always take awhile to "grow" on people. Over 150,000 (and climbing) already love it! The others will be assimilated quickly.

carlk | 01. April 2016

I don't like it. I LOVE IT! The looks of Porsche and Aston Martin with that grill-less EV touch. Franz and Elon are geniuses.

Haggy | 01. April 2016

It won't have a big T in the middle, but perhaps a license plate frame. They can't put anything else there since there would be no other place to hang a plate.

damonmath | 01. April 2016

I like it. The idea of adding a grill just to have a grill is so ICE. ;)

Tropopause | 01. April 2016

Agree with carlk! Love it!

Frank.B.Smith | 01. April 2016

I don't dislike the front but IMO it would look better with a two toned paint scheme. If from the lip down was black and that black wrapped around the whole car, I think that would look really nice.

Another thought is a line of vinyl "grill" wraps. A company could offer custom grills, teeth, etc. that one could stick on or take off.

android04 | 01. April 2016

I like the front. It took me like 10 seconds to get used to it. I will have to have a front plate in my state, so it's the perfect place to put it. Plus it probably contributes to more frunk space and added safety to keep your car from going under another if you rear end it.

Remnant | 01. April 2016

The badge tho should stretch throughout the height of the fascia, like that of a Mercedes Sport.

Ross1 | 01. April 2016

@PG: "the nose grew on me during the night"

Wow! Hilarious. Wonder what you will get tonight?

HWF | 01. April 2016

It looks unfinished to me. Also, I can see myself constantly cleaning the bugs off that flat surface.

HWF | 01. April 2016

It looks unfinished to me. Also, I can see myself constantly cleaning the bugs off that flat surface.

KP in NPT | 01. April 2016

I don't think bugs will be murdered any more frequently than they are on the S or X front.

ctorrillo | 01. April 2016

I like it, I think a modern vehicle should depart from the old design standards when it can, if it doesn't need cooling the same as an ICE then why have a grille? Forcing a grille on it would be the same as putting fake wheels on a hover-car because people are use to seeing wheels on transportation.

I do have a bit of a concern about the aero factor and the sandblasting of a 90 degree wall. In a year of highway driving will the front be shredded?

I could see some sort of disruption or change or angle in the flat look when final version ships.

flight505 | 01. April 2016

I like the front, especially the low angle as seen on Tesla website.

Sometimes front looks like gauze has been pulled over a grille.

baronalan | 01. April 2016

I don't like it. Looks unfinished. However after collecting road debris it may have more character.

Ross1 | 01. April 2016

Big opportunity to individualise your car.
Wallpaper it. Do your own grill/ statement

dtodd16 | 01. April 2016

Comments I've seen - "pig snout" and "looks like the clay model fell off the table front first, and they left it that way". I couldn't agree more. What on earth were they thinking? Doesn't need a full fake grill, but it needs something. And get rid of that ugly upper lip!

dtodd16 | 01. April 2016

Comments I've seen - "pig snout" and "looks like the clay model fell off the table front first, and they left it that way". I couldn't agree more. What on earth were they thinking? Doesn't need a full fake grill, but it needs something. And get rid of that ugly upper lip!

Ross1 | 01. April 2016

Franz was Design Chief at Mazda.
This is from his archives, but without the Mazda grill.
Did they 3D print the prototypes?

Ross1 | 01. April 2016

Only its mother could love that front.
Maybe look better when it teeths

lph | 01. April 2016

I like it. Looks like an Aston Martin without all those holes up front...err grill.

kroc | 01. April 2016

I hope Tesla considers a redesign of that nose, I pre ordered but with the look of that nose it could be a deal breaker for me. looks like a pigs nose to me.

Ross1 | 01. April 2016

@kroc: or a croc?

Pages