Forums

Why no hatch?! Sedans are just not as practical.

Why no hatch?! Sedans are just not as practical.

I think that a hatch is more versatile. I for one really need a hatch, specially if I want my dog to ride on the back of the car, which I really do. That being said, I think the car is gorgeous and since it's not the final production model, here is to hoping we might see a hatch in the final version.

TeslaTap.com | 01. April 2016

May be an option on the 3 or perhaps you'll have to spring for the Model S/X if you really need a hatchback. Time will tell!

garsh | 01. April 2016

They're not going to make a major design change like that at this point in the process. I'm fine with the trunk personally, and it helps keep the price of the vehicle down. I would imagine that the follow-on SUV "Model Y" would have a hatch.

inconel | 01. April 2016

I think it is not a hatch because Tesla wanted to have the cool uninterrupted glass roof?

jordanrichard | 01. April 2016

Since making it a hatchback would require a different structure all together, it isn't going to happen until the CUV version comes out. Perhaps that will be part of Unveil Part 2....

evsisson | 01. April 2016

It looks as if this design with one big slab of glass simplifies the assembly of the car, resulting in a badly needed cost saving.

KP in NPT | 01. April 2016

The hatch will come with the Model Y, I'm thinking.

johnkazba | 01. April 2016

I do agree I'd like a hatch (pets, bikes, hauling, etc), though I'm no sure I'm willing to wait another 3 years for the model Y...

I suspect it might be a combination of weight savings/glass back. In the video it appears the top of the trunk is a metal cross brace. If it was a hatch then that brace needs to be moved up and the frame underneath needs to be strengthened.

rdalcanto | 01. April 2016

This is the second time Tesla has made a major mistake with form over function. The first is the second row in the Model X. By not making that fold down in order to make them spectacular, many have cancelled their order and bought something else. Now they eliminate the hatchback on the Model 3 and put a stupid trunk with a tiny opening that can't fit a decent size box. Come on Tesla, stop getting it 90% right and then botching it on some really important utility stuff!!!

bcld | 02. April 2016

The Chevy Bolt has a hatch, and will pick up market share because of that extra versatility. I hope Tesla seriously reconsiders and adds the hatch. I also think the hatch will give the T3 a higher consumer report rating.

Centenarypilot | 02. April 2016

Hatch certainly would add greatly to versatility.
I guess it may be too late with the existing Glass.

Chunky Jr. | 02. April 2016

What would look better in intro - a hatch with multiple panes of glass, or a single pane of glass? Clearly these prototypes were built with form in mind rather than function. They wanted to wow the world with Model 3 and they succeeded! Now they have to turn that into a real car and there will be lots of changes. One of these will probably be getting rid of single pane of glass and making more like Model S pano roof. The changes need to be done in such a way that it doesn't deviate too much from the look of the prototype.

For Model X, Tesla went all in the falcon doors and could not turn back. I don't think people will really care that much if the roof is one pane of glass or pano style like Model S.

I assume a hatchback will be doable as an option.

bt456 | 02. April 2016

What part of affordable and smaller to do people not understand? They can do whatever they want, but it won't be 35k bone stock. They could build some crappy Bolt/Leaf, but that is not in Musk DNA. If Tesla survives, they will have 6 models to choose from, but not anytime soon. The Model 3 is about passenger room and over all luggage space, not hauling bulky items.

Ankit Mishra | 02. April 2016

Tesla already has a hatchback- Model S. Different models, different features.

Obi Wan | 02. April 2016

re: hatch back... that'll be unveil 3.5 :) I love my LEAF for having 23.6 cu ft of cargo space. While I love this M3 design, I'd buy a hatch model for its versatility. No, I can't afford a MX.

stanaland | 02. April 2016

I guess I'm the oddball here because my biggest FEAR was a hatch back. I am a happy camper :-)

garsh | 02. April 2016

Note that there are three pieces of glass. The "roof" goes from the top of the windshield to right behind the front passengers heads. One of the Tesla engineers giving test drives confirmed that there will be options, including metal, fixed glass (as in the show cars), and sunroof.

jordanrichard | 02. April 2016

garsh, "...including metal", I heard that too, but that would look odd. I also hope they tint the rear glass in the same fashion ax the X. I don't know that people will want to be so visibly out in the open.

SUN 2 DRV | 02. April 2016

As long as the second row seats fold relatively flat I could work around the lack of a hatchback. I assume they fold since Elon said it can hold a 7' surf board.

andrew.zanella | 02. April 2016

I am fine with the trunk (there will be two afterall). I was never a hatch guy, personally I find them ugly. As previously mentioned, if the rear seats fold down as well then that should be more than enough room for most people and perhaps keep those with dogs happy as well.

warren_tran | 02. April 2016

I don't care for hatchback. I have an SUV so I want a sedan

FREE ENERGY | 02. April 2016

Arguments: "A real trunk hatch":

a) In regards to a progressive design, with a modern characteristics
b) Functionality, 
c) Lets do the  “chair test”, if it slips in an easy way, the design is perfect, IF NOT YOU HAVE FAILED “
d) Than try the “dog test “…guess you see what´s going to happen, in the trunk, the dog goes crazy :-)
e) Later on, easier to sell for a new car :-)
f) Bolt, Leaf, BMW i3, VW eGolf, they ALL will take advantage of TM´s “trunk mistake” for all what its worth !

saltsman | 02. April 2016

The lack of a hatch is the only reason I would pass on purchasing a 3. Let's hope a hatch becomes an option before time to purchase. I have faith...

NVHarmony | 02. April 2016

A sedan has a strong bulkhead between the rear wheelhouses and provides better torsional rigidity of the body, plus a hatchback has a lot more road noise getting into the cabin. With a good fold down rear seat, I'll take a sedan any day.

Red Sage ca us | 02. April 2016

Whenever Tesla Motors makes a design decision that seems rather questionable, I just go back to home plate... Their first priority is safety. It could be that when they made the decision to have the continuous rails to support the roof, they found that using a liftgate would compromise crash resistance in some way. If so, perhaps the best way to avoid the issue was just having a standard issue notchback.

On the other hand... It could be they checked with focus groups of people who buy the other cars in the segment... 3-Series, A4, ATS, C-Class, IS, Q50, etc... And learned that for some reason those people tend to expect a trunk, and absolutely despise liftbacks, no matter their utility. Sometimes even Tesla Motors gives Customers what they want, whether they need it or not.

pgraessl | 03. April 2016

I would have prefered a hatchback. But now i hope to get at leats some 'never seen before' sensational reaseat folding. I guess a hatchback wont be here within 3 years. Therefore im 'stuck' with the sedan. But its a nice and good looking car, and the only option for me to be part of the change.

FelixMendeldog | 03. April 2016

I wish it was a hatch—hatchbacks are the best but more expensive that’s why Model S is a hatch and Model 3 isn’t.

jamestily | 03. April 2016

The trunk hatch does not need to go forward too far, but it does need to start down low at or near the trunk floor height. Then it is easy to slide things in and out, like the surfboard mentioned, boxes, luggage, etc. Seats also need to fold as flat as possible, similar to model s.

Gary-L | 03. April 2016

Put me in the hatchback column as well. I drive a Mazda 3 hatchback because I want the versatility of carrying large cargo that can fit with ease. Sedans do not offer that option. Also, those who claim a hatchback carries more road noise are flat wrong.

hcwhy | 04. April 2016

Maybe the design will have a removable hat shelf like a hatchback....have to wait and see. If that's the case, it should work just fine as a dog hauler...just use the back doors, which is what I do in the S anyway.

Made in CA | 04. April 2016

The hatchback is one of the Model S's best features, IMHO.

malcolm.hall1932 | 04. April 2016

O: seems like you may have a pal helping you out in continuing your efforts to derail the current design for which Elon has given a perfectly sensible reason for - "head room". Stop starting multiple threads on the same topic. I back Elon regarding the best design for the first release of this important car over you and your like minded pals anytime. There are plenty of hatches out there, Please, please go and buy one.

PhillyGal | 04. April 2016

A bunch of people clamoring to buy the future hatch/CUV version of car that itself is still 2 years away is a really great "problem" for Tesla to have.

Woohoo!

georgehawley.fl.us | 04. April 2016

Relax, everyone, there will be a Crossover version that will take care of the hatchback people.

Bill Korea | 04. April 2016

It's clear there's no hatch for now to give priority to rear passenger headroom. I choose vehicles based on the functionality that I use most of the time, and I rarely have rear-seat passengers. Extra views of the sky are not necessary while driving, and steel is cheaper, stronger, and lighter than glass for a roof structure. I'll wait to see the trunk in person, but a hatchback is usually way more practical for loading cargo. It is strange that hatches are not popular in the USA, but it's about the only thing that adds real utility to an SUV.

mos6507 | 04. April 2016

All engineering involves tradeoffs. When you're trying to optimize the range of an EV, the smallest changes to the body-shape are significant. Tesla decided rear headroom trumped the convenience of a hatch. If enough people tell him that they value the hatch more than rear headroom, maybe he'll offer a hatch option. I don't feel that the things people have been complaining about amount to asking to design the car by committee. They are focusing on only a few items, the hatch vs. trunk, the dashboard, and the front bumper. That's it. If enough people keep harping on the same items again and again and again, at some point you have to concede that maybe these really are shortcomings and address them. That won't happen if everyone decides to be "polite" and not speak up.

paul | 04. April 2016

Model S is an excellent example. In that market segment, many people may prefer or expect a trunk, yet the Model S despite its price, is extremely successful. If you never remove the package shelf, the car looks and feels like a sedan. On the other hand, if you want to put a bicycle in, fold the seats and remove the package shelf, and voila. That car can be all things to all people, at least on the hatch vs trunk issue. My point: the Model S proved that Tesla can keep both the hatch people and the trunk people happy. It would be so much better, IMHO, if the Model 3 could do the same.

mos6507: probably 300,000 reservations by now. Probably less than a 200 people who keep starting new threads on this same topic in order to manipulate Tesla into redesigning the current design to a hatch - which will only serve to slow down production of all those deliveries. The few trying to dictate to the many. If some are trying to drive the stock down its not working. Which also indicates that Elon is on the right track. The hatch will come in good time. Patience at this moment in time is paramount.

mos6507: probably 300,000 reservations by now. Probably less than a 200 people who keep starting new threads on this same topic in order to manipulate Tesla into redesigning the current design to a hatch - which will only serve to slow down production of all those deliveries. The few trying to dictate to the many. If some are trying to drive the stock down its not working. Which also indicates that Elon is on the right track. The hatch will come in good time. Patience at this moment in time is paramount.

carlk | 04. April 2016

I can't believe after almost forty posts no one even know the reason of the one piece glass and trunck opening that Elon has explained in the event and in the follow up twitter Q&A. It is the only way to provide decent head room to sit three adults in the back seat. Back seats of thoes "better design" from i3 to Bolt you people wanted are jokes. Hope you will not get what you wished for.

carlk | 04. April 2016

Just take look at the much bigger S with hatch back if you don't believe me. One of the biggest complains was lack of head room when solid roof (non-pano roof) was selected. Wait for the SUV/wagon version if you want decent head room and big truck opening.

adoh2010 | 04. April 2016

Sedans are quieter, saving money and weight on the car soundproofing. The weight bit is even more important as they will be using a heavier metal in construction.

adoh2010 | 04. April 2016

Sedans are save money and weight in construction, you need to compensate for the missing beam by using a heavier beam somewhere else in the car.

FREE ENERGY | 05. April 2016

Roof of carbon PLEASE:-)

FREE ENERGY | 05. April 2016

carlk - quote: "It is the only way to provide decent head room to sit three adults in the back seatW.....wow...all competitors quickly fixed the ame "issue"...The coming Huyandai IONOC, fixed the same problem easily, roomy oh yes....what can you expect, a car like Audi A4 etc leg room, head room.