Forums

I don't want 100% autonomous driving

I don't want 100% autonomous driving

I realize that the car industry is moving towards 100% autonomous driving, but personally, I wouldn't be a huge fan of it. Maybe it's because I'm young (23), but I can't see myself enjoying a self-driving car. I currently own a 1999 BMW 323i with a 5-speed manual and I absolutely love driving it. However, Tesla's cars have the performance (and many other things) that have convinced me to get a Model 3 which doesn't have a transmission at all. I see the use in auto-pilot and I will probably have it enabled so I can handle traffic with ease. However, when I'm out on the open road, I want to mash down the accelerator, take turns hard, and actually enjoy the car I bought. So in summary I'd like to say to Tesla; go ahead and make the first production read fully autonomous car in the Model 3 and the world will be better for it. However, please keep the steering wheel, add a HUD or instrument panel, and allow people who actually enjoy driving and not just riding the freedom to do so.

Chunky Jr. | 05. April 2016

I'm not sure if it would be either-or. Like cruise control, it would be something that you turn on when needed.

jbunn | 05. April 2016

Don't worry. we are not there yet.

otto.olsen | 05. April 2016

I'm with you, I have no interest in an autonomous car. It makes sense for busy highways but that's all.

smiffy99 | 05. April 2016

I don't think they'll do away with the steering wheel and although the 3 will come with Autopilot hardware I believe there'll be a fee to activate that feature within the cars software. In the S, when Autopilot isn't 100% sure of the road ahead it tells you to grab the steering wheel.

If you enjoy driving through the turns hard, it'll be interesting to see how the traction control is configured. I come from an autocross background driving Miata's and S2000's and have an old Camaro with a beast of a big block and all those cars like to get a little tail happy at the limit. I can't see the Telsa doing that, instead being more tuned to a mild understeer for safety's sake. But, I can see a nice set of Penske racing, Koni or Ohlin's shocks making the car fun and more conducive to delivering in the curves what the electric motor delivers on the straights.

Either way, the 3 should be a fun car even in base model trim.

I can't wait for the next iteration of the roadster, with Plaid mode and hopefully some insane LeMans looking design and a ton of functional downforce. Muhahahahahahaaaa!

biggestfan | 06. April 2016

Easy...then when it comes time to select options, don't select that one. Collision avoidance will be standard, but summon and autopilot (hands free on the highway type of thing) will be optional.

PhillyGal | 06. April 2016

There may be a car that is fully autonomous within the next 5-10 years, but it will be decades before any car has no manual capability, if ever. So just don't turn it on.

But PS - Tesla's current AP capabilities are really great in certain conditions, even for those of us that really like driving.

ar.schwaller | 06. April 2016

Well, for driving to work in the morning I would really like having a fully autonomous car to get some more shut eye (I have a tendency to not sleep as long as I should). Or for driving home after a stressful day. But other than that, I really like driving, so I would prefer it to be optional.

The problem is, autonomous cars are said to be safer than cars with a human behind the wheel. So it`s pretty sure that some politicians will move to outlaw self driving at some point in the future. Hopefully that will be after I`m either dead or otherwise incapable of driving.

carlk | 06. April 2016

Most people who own a bike buy it not just for transportation. One can still own a car with autopilot capability for transportation as well as for fun and own, or share, a full autonomous car for pure transportation.

carlk | 06. April 2016

Most people who own a bike buy it not just for transportation. One can still own a car with autopilot capability for transportation as well as for fun and own, or share, a full autonomous car for pure transportation.

carlk | 06. April 2016

Morlandoemtp061383 | 07. April 2016

Better analogy would be some people own a horse just for fun. But yes in the distant future driving will be illegal without autopilot, I can totally see this happening.

eAdopter | 07. April 2016

carlk +1
I have a Model S, have reserved a Model 3, and crowdfunded an electric bike (www.flux.bike)

Maxxer | 07. April 2016

I'm 28 and I feel driving is a complete waste of time. I prefer being in the bus or subway reading or doing something productive for my job. However, my job requires that I start at 7h AM and since I'm often on call I have to go back anytime so collective transport doesn't work for me. If I could be riding my Model 3 20 mins straight on the highway without looking at the road while reading new published litterature, that would save me 40 mins a day of totally wasting my lifetime. That's why I reserved 2 Model 3's while waiting in line at 7 AM.

swingshiftworker | 07. April 2016

I would NEVER use the Autopilot feature -- I prefer to drive and don't trust technology that much -- and it's just as well that it's going to be an option that you have to pay extra for.

Red Sage ca us | 08. April 2016

Currently, I know that during a single 24 hour period, I can definitely drive 12 or 13 hours safely. I figure Autopilot will allow me to either: 1) Drive 15-16 hours safely; or 2) Drive 12-13 hours more comfortably. So, yes, I would certainly use Autopilot for road trips. I'd be a bit nervous, at least until I got used to it, when it came to driving in traffic on a daily commute.

negarholger | 08. April 2016

(a) don't turn it on
(b) are you ready to pay 10x insurance rate if you drive yourself.

Out of 250M cars in the US every year 5M or 2% are involved in a reported accident. I think amusement like parks for manual driving will be your only affordable choice in some not so distant future.

Big T | 11. April 2016

I don't want a dishwasher.
I don't want a microwave open.
I don't want a computer.
I don't want a cell phone.
I don't want a mouse on a computer.
I don't want the Internet.
I don't want a tablet.
I don't want an electric car.
I don't want 100% autonomous driving.

ebiggs | 11. April 2016

@ar.schwaller I predict you'll see in your lifetime roads that human drivers are not allowed on - and not jus for safety reason, but efficiency. Saving billions of dollars per day we now lose to congested roads is just too hard to argue with.

dd.micsol | 11. April 2016

If you don't want it - don't order it or don't use it. What's the big deal here?!

dd.micsol | 11. April 2016

btw - I can think of millions of people who should have one:
people addicted to:
texting
drinking excessively
drug users
people who can't keep their hands on the wheel while talking on their head set phones. yeah, crazy!
People who just shouldn't plain drive-very old people, but with auto drive-you can get to that dr appointment if
you have no one to take you.
Just many many uses for good reasons. I'd rather have a drunk in the back seat with auto drive than see them behind the wheel after they've paralyzed me.

damonmath | 11. April 2016

I'll take 100% autonomous please! I have a long commute that I use AP on 90% of the time. If I could get in my car and pick my destination without having to do a thing but exit the vehicle upon arrival... that would be sweet!

f3rretus | 11. April 2016

@dd.micsol

loneranger08's problem may be immaturity.

Reminds me of a joke that always cracks me up. Goes like this,

A daddy bull and his son come across a valley where many cows are grazing.
Little bull says to his dad, "lets run down and *uck one of the cows."
Dad bull says, "son, why don't we walk down and *uck'm all!"

Haggy | 11. April 2016

For now, Tesla plans to make all cars with steering wheels accelerator pedals and brake pedals, as well as a shift lever. I don't see that changing for decades. It won't be until cars are considerably safer driving themselves than having a human driver that I think governments would even allow cars that can't be driven manually. At some point that may become the norm, but there will likely be a special set of qualifications needed that will allow a person to override the controls. Perhaps the government will require people to take some sort of tests and then issue some sort of certification that enables people to drive cars manually.

yongliangzhu68 | 11. April 2016

@Big T: I din't want the wheel when it was first invented. Over time I got used to it. :)

Paul Carter | 11. April 2016

I don't want an automobile, my horse knows the way home and where I need to drop off my deliveries. Oh... wait. 100 years later and I'll take an Autonomous Tesla Model 3 please.

Ross1 | 11. April 2016

"Big T | April 11, 2016
I don't want a dishwasher.
I don't want a microwave open.
I don't want a computer.
I don't want a cell phone.
I don't want a mouse on a computer.
I don't want the Internet.
I don't want a tablet.
I don't want an electric car.
I don't want 100% autonomous driving."

BT: you forgot the wife. Hardest of all of them. Way out of control.

hcwhy | 11. April 2016

I believe Elon started that Tesla's would always be able to be riven if he had anything to say about it.

hcwhy | 11. April 2016

Teslas...pardon

MarlonBrown | 12. April 2016

It depends. If the auto pilot feature matures and it becomes clearly effective and saving thousand of lives, then it may become a mandatory feature like it is when you have to fasten your seat belts. If there is a proven auto pilot feature in place, I dont want to see someone showing their driving skills on the road or just something to give them pleasure. There are dedicated racing tracks out there that are our self titled great pilots can use to show off their skills.

clayton.a.phillips | 13. April 2016

I love when people read the title of article, but don't actually read the post. "So in summary I'd like to say to Tesla; go ahead and make the first production ready fully autonomous car in the Model 3 and the world will be better for it. However, please keep the steering wheel, add a HUD or instrument panel, and allow people who actually enjoy driving and not just riding the freedom to do so.".

To everyone here, I have no issues with fully autonomous driving. I think all cars will eventually have it and it will be a benefit to everyone. However, for the time being, I want the freedom to drive myself because I enjoy driving. That's my opinion and I shouldn't be looked down upon for it. So to all of the people making jokes and inferring that what I said is a ridiculous statement, go troll elsewhere.

@f3rretus I'm immature because I enjoy driving? What a ridiculous statement.

Haggy | 13. April 2016

I don't think people were inferring your statements were ridiculous. Not 100% of the answers were serious or positive, but there's a general understanding that the move toward autonomy is a move toward fully automated vehicles without human control. Tesla has no plans to go there, at least to the extent that a person can't override it.

All I can say is that you should reserve judgment until you have the car. With the Model S, I will use it on long boring stretches of straight roads, or mundane highway driving or stop and go traffic. But if I'm on a curvy mountain road, I want to drive and probably took that road because I wanted to drive. Even if Tesla could get the car to drive on the kind of road I am thinking of, I wouldn't want it to be in control.

If you get the car with the autopilot option, I expect there will be times you will want to use it, as well as plenty of times you won't. It's pointless to have a car with the handling and performance of a Tesla and use it exclusively on autopilot. Then again, people don't want autopilot to drive the way they drive. They want autopilot to drive the way they would want to be driven. The two aren't the same. Autopilot will never pull away from a stoplight and do 0-60 in 3.1 seconds. But a P90D can do it for a reason.

Big T | 14. April 2016

theloneranger08, please lighten up! You're one of the guys here and guys like to joke around and give each other the business. Your response should be to laugh a little.

That immature statement was more in the manner of "he'll understand when he gets to be our age." And yes, you are immature compared to some of your co-posters on this forum. Re-read this thread in 20 years and you'll see what I mean.

clayton.a.phillips | 14. April 2016

@ Big T Yeah yeah yeah... :P

clayton.a.phillips | 14. April 2016

and @Haggy, well said.