Forums

Model 3 vs Bolt

Model 3 vs Bolt

anujasharma19 | 06. April 2016

If you have any aesthetic taste, there is no comparison.

The bolt looks like every other non-tesla EV that's ever been made - UGLY. Dorky.

Aside from Tesla, I'd swear EVs exteriors were designed by exxon in order to keep EVs from selling or being considered. It was so frustrating. I just kept wondering "why do they HAVE to be ugly?" I was really starting to suspect some kind of grand conspiracy.

If there is an ugly EV conspiracy, I'm glad to see Tesla refuses to participate in it.

Tropopause | 06. April 2016

Thanks for doing this comparison. Much better than that other guys.

damonmath | 06. April 2016

I would add in the production numbers as well... 30,000 limited run vs. 300,000 pre-orders.

Tropopause | 06. April 2016

And interior/cargo room.

dd.micsol | 06. April 2016

I'm tired of this comparison as it really isn't relevant at all.
Choosing a chevy or a tesla. Really? Well, if you want it go for it. I won't stop you. Have fun charging the succer.

ahsu217 | 06. April 2016

....Mercedes VS KIA? totally wrong....
Tesla will always be a Luxury Electric car company period!

inconel | 06. April 2016

Ah but KIA has Genesis in the family to (try to) battle Mercedes. I am sure GM will come up with a "COLT" to fight back.

b.tesla | 06. April 2016

Non-Tesla EVs have been limited to city commuting duty because of their range and recharge time. It seems like the Bolt wants to change that, but you have Tesla's Supercharger network vs. nothing. Without that, the Bolt is going to be another city commuter car, but with longer range. And though Tesla has a huge advantage with their Supercharger network, they really need to scale it up and fill in some gaps. Elon mentioned some of those plans during the M3 unveiling, and I hope that plan is being accelerated with the huge number of M3 reservations.

jamilworm | 06. April 2016

I truly do believe that the Model 3 is better, that's why I got a reservation. But all these technical comparisons, including this one, are stupid because there is too little hard info available for either car. All they show is which brand the author is biased towards.

Range: Bolt says over 200. Tesla says 215. I'll pull a crazy number 300 out of nowhere and claim Tesla will do it. I just like Tesla so they win.

Technology: The Tesla will be able to have autopilot. Nobody has any idea about any other features. The Bolt has a ton of tech features, but I just like Tesla. Tesla wins!

Granted, the price, performance, and look are pretty clearly in Tesla's favor.

Tersalita | 06. April 2016

I see the big difference in the design of the car - from bottom up. The Chevy Bolt looks like it was designed by a company that has been making cars for YEARS. But, in the case of an EV, is this a strength or a weakness?

I imagine the Bolt was designed by a design team taking an ICE and saying, "what do we need to do to this car to make it into an all electric car?"

But, I imagine just the opposite at Tesla. Something similar to - "what is the bare minimum you need to build a car? Four wheels, axel/suspension, seats, windshield, ... do we have to have mirrors on the car? - oh, ok.....etc, etc. etc." That's why the dash looks the way it does. Tesla was also building a car that can be someone's ONLY car, with no need for a second car. (That will be true in my case.)

But, the Bolt is really a car that is more an around town kind of car. So, yeah, they'll sell it to you and then sell you an ICE later when you figure out the Bolt isn't going to do everything for you.

The Tesla can be driven cross-country and although I've never been much of a road trip kind of person. The first summer I get the car I'm planning a trip from Seattle to Miami and Back. And hopefully, the car will do much of the driving for me.

By the way, what is the plan for autopilot on the Bolt? I really don't know.

Tersalita | 06. April 2016

I see the big difference in the design of the car - from bottom up. The Chevy Bolt looks like it was designed by a company that has been making cars for YEARS. But, in the case of an EV, is this a strength or a weakness?

I imagine the Bolt was designed by a design team taking an ICE and saying, "what do we need to do to this car to make it into an all electric car?"

But, I imagine just the opposite at Tesla. Something similar to - "what is the bare minimum you need to build a car? Four wheels, axel/suspension, seats, windshield, ... do we have to have mirrors on the car? - oh, ok.....etc, etc. etc." That's why the dash looks the way it does. Tesla was also building a car that can be someone's ONLY car, with no need for a second car. (That will be true in my case.)

But, the Bolt is really a car that is more an around town kind of car. So, yeah, they'll sell it to you and then sell you an ICE later when you figure out the Bolt isn't going to do everything for you.

The Tesla can be driven cross-country and although I've never been much of a road trip kind of person. The first summer I get the car I'm planning a trip from Seattle to Miami and Back. And hopefully, the car will do much of the driving for me.

By the way, what is the plan for autopilot on the Bolt? I really don't know.